+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 41
FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird Science

I think 'Green jobs" fits in this thread.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/01...cey-green-job/
    Players meeting my ASS!

Players meeting my ASS!

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    The more "nouveau" the green tech, the more it costs to create that job because you have to create/subsidize the science around that job, too. If volume of jobs in the short term is the only goal, green tech is not the right starting point. That's the crux of the actual research on this. Big whoop. It costs more at the get-go to innovate. Those costs go down as the job and tech becomes less innovative. That's not weird science, but fairly typical science.

Can't afford it. Quit forcing it.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Can we afford not to? When does "peak oil" hit the big OPEC nations? What, if anything, can/should we be doing to avoid or deal with global climate change? How much pollution is "too much" from a health perspective? Some of this stuff takes a lot of lead time and experimentation.

Most of that shit Gore was whinning about has been debunked.

Solution: Start fucking drilling for oil. It'll give us some time to find some alternative...hopefully. The truth is, there is nothing out there that does replace oil right now that makes sense from a day to day perspective and economically or something.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Is "some time to find some alternative" enough time? What is time without money to pursue such research? Hopefully?

I absolutely agree with you to the extent that most "green jobs" are not optimal for today's economy, compared to jobs in less-progressive areas. That's what that study that you called "Obama's weird science" said. But at some point, you have to invest in the future or it's likely to suck. Many "green jobs" amount to energy R&D, and reasonable people can and do differ about how much energy R&D budget is appropriate. There seems to be a fair amount of energy-efficiency stuff that isn't very controversial (unless you're a business that stands to lose money from it being implemented). Monitoring, say, the power draw at a breaker level (so folks can map out what appliance clusters suck up what) should be ubiquitous. <sigh>

I don't know if its enuf time. If not, we still use oil.

But its just fucking FUCKING CRAZY all the fucking MONEY that ODumba has given to green energy and it isn't doing shit.
    Players meeting my ASS!

+ Reply to Thread