+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 0-15, the season in review (so far)

0-15, the season in review (so far)

Interesting (and sad) read. There were only a few games they contested in really:

Quote Originally Posted by Killer
    ALLEN PARK -- In a season where almost everything has gone wrong for the Detroit Lions, there have been some pivotal points that highlighted the team's misfortunes.
    So, in honor of crawling their way to the cliff's edge of a 0-16 season, here are 16 plays or moments that symbolize the Lions' push to the precipice:
    The Stunner (Part I)
    Game One: Atlanta Falcons, 34-21

On the third play of the game, the Lions defense gave up a 62-yard touchdown pass from rookie quarterback Matt Ryan to receiver Michael Jenkins. The Lions, who hadn't given up more than 10 points in any of those four preseason games, were rocked. They tried to shrug it off as just "one of those plays."
    The Stunner (Part II)
    Game One:
    Just four plays after giving up the touchdown pass, Falcons running back Michael Turner burst through the Detroit defense for a 66-yard touchdown run. The Lions players looked at each other, incredulous at what was happening. From that point, the once-confident Lions defenders never recovered.
    The Pick
    Game Two: Green Bay Packers, 48-25

One play after hitting Calvin Johnson on a 47-yard touchdown pass (to give the Lions a one-point lead), quarterback Jon Kitna took the field again with his team trailing by two points and 5:17 remaining. Kitna looked to Johnson again up the right sideline, but veteran cornerback Charles Woodson made an easy interception. The Packers converted that turnover into a touchdown and then Kitna threw two more picks both returned for touchdowns.
    The Payback
    Game Three: San Francisco 49ers 31-13
    Niners offensive coordinator Mike Martz, the scapegoat of Detroit's failures from the previous year, had something to prove. Quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan, who had also been sent packing by the Lions, hit tight end Delanie Walker for a 21-yard touchdown pass to give the Niners a 21-3 lead in the second quarter and the rout was on. Martz, criticized for not running the ball in Detroit, rubbed it in there as well the Niners ran the ball 39 times (for 182 yards) and attempted just 24 passes.
    The Meltdown
    Game Four: Chicago Bears, 34-7
    Kitna was dealing with both back spasms and, having openly argued with some coaches the week before, contempt for the staff. He was benched at halftime and then placed on the injured reserve list. Kitna claimed his back would be 100 percent in a week or two, but he was causing pain in a different location for the staff and the coaches no longer wanted him around.
    He did what?
    Game Five: Minnesota Vikings, 12-10
    On third-and-10 from their own 1-yard line, Lions quarterback Dan Orlovsky was in the shotgun and then rolled to his right. Problem was, he ran at a backward angle, taking several steps out of the end zone and throwing the ball. "I'm an idiot," Orlovsky said afterward. It was tough for anyone to dismiss as just one of those wacky plays because that two-point safety was the winning margin for the Vikings.
    Andre who?
    Game Six: Houston Texans, 28-21
    Detroit's Calvin Johnson outdueled Pro Bowl receiver Andre Johnson in terms of big plays, catching two passes for 154 yards, including a 96-yard touchdown catch (and grabbing the two-point conversion pass). The Lions apparently felt no need to throw the ball to Johnson any more than that and came up short again.
    The Breakthrough
    Game Seven: Washington, 25-17
    After getting shut out in the first quarter in the first six games, the Lions finally snapped that skid. Rudi Johnson scored on an 11-yard run for Detroit with 13 seconds left in the opening quarter. Fitting for this Lions' season, once Detroit fixed one problem, another cropped up the Lions started falling apart in the second half and were outscored 19-7 by Washington.
    The Slip
    Game Eight: Bears, 27-23
    Early in the second quarter, after Detroit's first touchdown, kicker Jason Hanson slipped on the soggy turf and his point-after attempt was blocked. That proved crucial in the final 42 seconds of the game, when the Lions were forced to go for the touchdown rather than a potential game-tying field goal. During that drive, they ran seven plays inside Chicago territory, including three from the 32-yard line.
    The Laughter
    Game Nine: Jacksonville Jaguars, 38-14
    During one play in the second half, the Jaguars who would win only one game in this six-game stretch -- were laughing at the Lions' players and making fun of their team. Remember, these Jaguars had been beaten the week before by the then-winless (0-8) Cincinnati Bengals and then, after beating Detroit, the Jags would lose four consecutive games by 10 points or more.
    Two-minute Turnaround
    Game 10: Carolina Panthers, 31-22
    With 2:50 remaining in the first half, the Lions held a 13-7 lead and the Panthers were struggling on offense. At that point, Carolina running back DeAngelo Williams exploded for a 56-yard touchdown run and within two minutes which included a Lions fumble and a 22-yard TD run by Jonathan Stewart the Panthers went from a six-point deficit to an eight-point lead.
    The Tease
    Game 11: Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 38-20
    The Lions appeared to put it all together offense, defense and special teams. Daunte Culpepper hit Calvin Johnson on a 15-yard touchdown pass, Daniel Bullocks returned a fumble 44 yards for a touchdown and Jason Hanson's 38-yard field goal gave Detroit a 17-0 lead at the end of the first quarter. Less than 10 minutes later, the Bucs had scored three touchdowns, taken the lead and would eventually outscore Detroit 38-3.
    The Turkey Trot
    Game 12: Tennessee Titans, 47-10

Rookie running back Chris Johnson rambled 58 yards for a touchdown his second of the day less than nine minutes into the game to put this one out of doubt early. The Titans, who finished with 292 rushing yards, basically started taking a knee in the fourth quarter. Tennessee ran 14 running plays in their final 17 snaps (and still got two field goals out of it).
    The Reversal
    Game 13: Minnesota Vikings, 20-16

Trailing 17-13 midway through the fourth quarter, Culpepper hit Calvin Johnson on a 13-yard pass to the Minnesota 8-yard line on a third-and-11 play. The Vikings challenged the catch, though video replays did not appear to show enough evidence to overturn the call. But it was, and the Lions settled for a field goal and never threatened after that.
    The Substitution
    Game 14: Indianapolis Colts 31-21

After tying the game at 21-21 early in the fourth quarter, the Lions had stolen control of the game. Detroit, though, lost both of its starting cornerbacks Leigh Bodden and Travis Fisher -- two plays later. While Bodden returned to the game, little-used corner Ramzee Robinson was in for Fisher and quarterback Peyton Manning exploited the matchup. Manning's 39-yard pass to the 1-yard line set up the Colts' go-ahead touchdown and Detroit's upset hopes had vanished.
    The Gosder gaffe
    Game 15: New Orleans Saints, 42-7

In a game that had signs of being a shootout, the Lions trailed 7-0 in the first quarter when Orlovksy hit Calvin Johnson on a sweet 43-yard touchdown pass but it was waved off because of an illegal procedure penalty on right tackle Gosder Cherilus. Cherilus, who took his position about 600 times this season, had simply lined up too far off the line of scrimmage.Orlovsky was intercepted on the next play, the Saints scored and the rout was on.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    I think we had a lead in 8 of our 15 games, this year.

(not including preseason)

Considering they didn't score in the first quarter until game 7, I find that hard to believe.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    Considering they didn't score in the first quarter until game 7, I find that hard to believe.
    I thought so too when I first saw the stat on ESPN.com.

We had a lead...

* Week 2 Vs. Green Bay
    * Week 5 @ Minnesota
    * Week 8 Vs. Washington
    * Week 9 @ Chicago
    * Week 10 Vs. Jacksonville
    * Week 11 @ Carolina
    * Week 12 Vs. Tampa Bay
    * Week 14 Vs. Minnesota

Toss in the two games in which we tied the score late in the game, but never had a lead (@ Houston & @ Indianapolis)...

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfredo Ledezma
    I thought so too when I first saw the stat on ESPN.com.

We had a lead...

* Week 2 Vs. Green Bay
    * Week 5 @ Minnesota
    * Week 8 Vs. Washington
    * Week 9 @ Chicago
    * Week 10 Vs. Jacksonville
    * Week 11 @ Carolina
    * Week 12 Vs. Tampa Bay
    * Week 14 Vs. Minnesota

Toss in the two games in which we tied the score late in the game, but never had a lead (@ Houston & @ Indianapolis)...

Interesting.
    Week 2 - 1 point lead thanks to a fumble out the back of the end zone.
    Week 5 - a 10-2 lead thanks to two Peterson fumbles and a INT.
    Week 8 - A legit 10-3 lead before destructing
    Week 9 - Legit lead most of game
    Week 10 - 7-3 lead in first quarter, blown out after that
    Week 11 - 10-0 lead, but gave up 100 yards+ to both RBs
    Week 12 - 17-0 lead in first (thanks to fumble return), blown out later
    Week 14 - 3 point lead twice, close game

So you are correct. but, they were not competitive in most of those games.

Basically they were "in" these games:
    Minny (x2), Washington, Chicago

Add in a few games of competitive play for a quarter as well. So in total they competed for about 15 quarters of football (out of 64).

Perhaps an 0-16 Lions might not be called "worst team ever". They had competitive moments all throughout the season, and a few really great opportunities for victory.

I'm sure the 1976 Bucs were far worse. And, if they played a 16 game season, surely would've lost them all by wider margins.

At least the Lions are making Jim Rome happy.

It happened

+ Reply to Thread