+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21
FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21

Thread: UM hoops 2008-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Zip Goshboots
    Making the Big Dance is a Big Deal. Success breeds success. Not many people focus too much attention on the regular season, but March Madness brings in everyone to watch, especially recroots.

One thing that has hurt UM over the years, though, was the recruiting shift that Tom Goss initiated while he was GM. Bill Frieder spoke about it in his recent interview on Scout with Sam Webb. After the Fab Five left, Goss said UM wouldn't be going after those "types" of players anymore. He thought UM could be the next Duke. Frieder said Goss handed the state of Michigan over to The Izzo, and thus, the doom was sealed. UM also doesn't play the AAU game. It's shady, and many NCAA coaches are in cahoots with AAU coaches who funnel players to programs, and well, there may be some nefarious practices involved. Here is an article about Maryland coach Gary Williams, who doesn't play the AAU game, either:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021202299.html

I also think there was a conscious effort to avoid the Carmelo Anthony's and Michael Beasley's of the world: the "One and Done" players, and even players who even gave a hint that they'd just like to use college ball as nothing more than a stepping stone to NBA $$ as opposed to grasping the whole student-athlete concept.

Belein was brought in, IMO, as a guy who recruits under the radar, and is a good X and O guy; a teacher, as well as a guy with integrity. Gonna be a real uphill battle, and unless it's Michigan kids, UM probably won't be landing many big names.

And yeah, what Jethro said: Crisler Arena is a dump, and the other basketball facilities are among the worst, if not the worst, in the Big Ten.
    So I'm not alone?

Also, good post Zip
    Players meeting my ASS!

Thanks Tahoe, back at ya.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfredo Ledezma
    I believe Jevohn Sheppard is gone too.

And I also wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Anthony Wright or Kelvin Grady decided to transfer.
    A Spartan fan I play ball with told me the other night he heard rumblings about Grady transferring to Grand Valley. That was Tuesday. I've searched for that rumor every day and found nothing.

Anthony Wright can go. No one needs him. I think with Merritt and Lee leaving Grady immediately gets more PT, even though the top recruit coming in is a PG. Grady has the potential to be a leader, though I think he's clearly been passed by in Beilein's book by Douglass.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

So if 'we' would see a couple of better recruits, it'd be next year?
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    I'm motivated.
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe
    So if 'we' would see a couple of better recruits, it'd be next year?
    There are some 4 star guys on the radar for the class of 2010. Some are even saying all the right things, but I'm still skeptical.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

GOING TO THE BIG DANCE!

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Mr Bukdow, you owe me one. You too Tahoe:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/obama_special_olympics

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

+ Reply to Thread