+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I JUST GOT ACCEPTED TO COLLEGE

Quote Originally Posted by Zip Goshboots
    One thing you must know, Cross: The general population of adults over the age of 25 in America with a college degree is about 25%. The degree will put you in pretty good company (assuming that you make it, I predict failure). But on message boards, the percentage of guys with college degrees goes up to about 722%. So, message board guy is pretty damn smart, and to come on here bragging because you got accepted shows the lack of respect you have for the intranets and the wealth of knowledge and wisdom to be found here.
    You should probably listen to this guy. He tends to know what he's talking about.

You don't get to start bragging until you've got 2 degrees and you subscribe to some fine publications.
    _

Publications that are for, say, the intellectual elite?

Those would be the sort.
    _

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Mxy
    One piece of advice I'd make to any frosh -- don't take a full load of courses in your first semester. You're going to have enough shit to get used to -- new place to live, doing your own laundry, probably roommates (especially if they're roommates from fucking Indiana, speaking from first-hand experience), maybe a part time job, longer class sizes, etc. Get yourself into some routines for daily living and studying.
    This is good advice. My first semester of college:

Chemistry + Lab (5 credits, 8-9 am every day, Lab Th 3 hours)
    Calculus 1 (5 credits, 9-10 am every day)
    Freshman Comp (4 credits, M/W 2 hrs)
    History (3 credits, T/Th 1.5 hrs)

I could barely pay attention in Chemistry and Calc 1 at those hours (expecially given the subject matter of Calc) I managed a 3.0 in both because I was good at math and science, but I learned my lesson on scheduling.

Give youself little breaks if the subject matter is boring. 12 credits is full time, so that is probably all you need to take. Once you get into classes for your major then taking a bigger load isn't as bad.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    This is good advice. My first semester of college:

Chemistry + Lab (5 credits, 8-9 am every day, Lab Th 3 hours)
    Calculus 1 (5 credits, 9-10 am every day)
    Freshman Comp (4 credits, M/W 2 hrs)
    History (3 credits, T/Th 1.5 hrs)

I could barely pay attention in Chemistry and Calc 1 at those hours (expecially given the subject matter of Calc) I managed a 3.0 in both because I was good at math and science, but I learned my lesson on scheduling.

Give youself little breaks if the subject matter is boring. 12 credits is full time, so that is probably all you need to take. Once you get into classes for your major then taking a bigger load isn't as bad.

Got memory?

:scared:
    Find a new slant.

5 credits for calc 1 and 2 extra credits for a lab?

That seems odd to me.
    STEW BEEF!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Got memory?

:scared:
    No, I guessed. chem and calc are definitely correct. I don't know about the others (which year I took those). At any rate I did have those two to start every day, and I was taking 18-19 credits. That much I know.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Why was Calc 1 so many credits? And was it common a Central (right?) that labs were worth 2 credits?
    STEW BEEF!

calc 1 was a 5 hour class, thus 5 credits

Chemistry was 5 hours also, and I think the lab was another 1 credit, but a 2 hour lab.

Also, those classes were not at CMU. I went to community college my first two years because I paid my own way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    I went to community college my first two years because I paid my own way.

www.university.com

Also, I did too.
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread