+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Cassel a Lion in 2009?

Blog Entries

Matt Cassel a Lion in 2009?

Somebody's going to pay him a boatload of money, will it be the Lions?

Will they just stand pat with Culpepper/Orlavsky/Stanton?

With Cassel, I'm having flashbacks to Scott Mitchell.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/...o3W7ZQawL.uLYF
    Find a new slant.

I'm gonna go on a limb and say that if Sam Bradford comes out this year he'll be wearing a Detroit Lions jersey. I think that a brand new GM will want to come in and make a "splash" and based on what Matt Ryan did for the Falcons this year I could very easily see us taking the winner of the Stafford/Bradford sweepstakes.

P.S. I think they definitely need to draft Andre Smith, but I don't think it'll end up going that way as of right now.

Well, how well have Russell, Quinn (don't get excited about 1 game), Alex Smith, Young, Lienart, etc done so far? I'd be shocked if even 1 in 4 first round QBs has done anything.

I'd rather just waste money than waste money AND miss on a pick.

What good is a decent prospect behind a shitty OL? We've seen that enough.

Yeah, he could be the next Scott Mitchell. We could also pass on him like Brees and get stuck with Joey part 2.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

No thanks.

So he put up 400 one game...who cares.

If the lions draft another QB, I will officially become a Toronto Argonaut fan.

Shitty QBs do decent behind great O-Lines. Great QBs get destroyed behind shitty O-Lines.
    _

Blog Entries
    Cassel's going to get tagged in the offseason...

I'd rather explore the 'Derek Anderson' route since he'll be a great buy low situation. He would've cost us maybe a 2nd rounder or so last year, now we could probably get DA for a 5th or 6th...

Plus, I think Daunte's sticking around...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FillyCheezeSteak

P.S. I think they definitely need to draft Andre Smith, but I don't think it'll end up going that way as of right now.

I was thinking, if we can move Backus to guard (which has been discussed before), and draft a guy like Andre Smith or Michael Oher, our O-Line would be much better. Backus might be able to 'reinvent' himself at guard, kind of like how Damien Woody did last year when we moved him from guard to tackle. It's worth a shot, it's not like he's going to get better at Tackle, at least at guard he can deal with the slower footed DT's rather than the quick defensive ends.

Then you can throw Manuel Ramirez (or Stephen Peterman) in at the other guard spot, Raiola at center, and have Andre Smith/Michael Oher & Gosder Cherilus as your tackles...

Somehow Miami had a garbage O-Line last year, and then Vernon Carey & Samson Satele suddenly become Pro Bowl-worthy studs, they sign a savvy vet in Justin Smiley, and draft Jake Long. It's possible to re-create an O-Line in one offseason, and whoever our new GM is, needs to make that his first priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Shuttlesworth
    No thanks.

So he put up 400 one game...who cares.
    Thank you very much, JS. I've worked long and hard, enduring countless hours of excrutiating rehab, to rid my mind of Vince and his gawddamn ShamWow. Then, your av ruin'd everything.

But, could you imagine Vince repping Sam Bradford?

Quote Originally Posted by ShamWowVince
    I don't know... it sells itself
    I'd best spend the money looking for a power RB. Looking at their four RB's, three of them are listed at 5'10". Smith is 6'1", but only 215lbs. Sign a bruiser like the Titans did with LenDale White and give the opposing D something new to worry about.

Shonn Greene of Iowa is a good idea, though the popular choice might be Moreno of Georgia if he comes out. I don't think Moreno would be a good fit, though.

Beanie Wells has size (6'1" 237lbs), and could possess enough big league quickness to elude linebackers flying through gaps in the O line.

Blog Entries
    I'm not for drafting a RB in the first round. Only Beanie & Moreno are truly 1st rd worthy RB's and I don't think we'll be in a position to draft either.

Guys like Shonn Green, Javon Ringer, CJ Spiller, James Davis will all go 2nd rd or later...

With teams getting solid production out of rookies like Tim Hightower, Matt Forte, Kevin Smith, Ray Rice it shows you don't need to use a 1st rd pick to draft an effective RB...

Besides, I think this offseason we need to find a veteran RB to complement Kevin Smith (think Edgerrin James type), having two young RB's split carries isn't a good idea.

Kev Smith is avg. 4+ ypc, give him an o-line, and he'll be more than capable of carrying the load

+ Reply to Thread