+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18
FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Auto Industry

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...fPkPgD98BIOO80

WASHINGTON (AP) — Lawmakers appealed to the Obama administration on Friday to slow down the restructuring of General Motors and Chrysler, wary of shuttered car dealerships, job losses and the big unknown of a GM bankruptcy.

"We are asking President Obama to call 'time-out' on his automobile task force," said Rep. Steve LaTourette, R-Ohio.

Members of Congress urged the White House to re-examine its work to stabilize the U.S. auto industry, prompted by sweeping plans outlined last week by Chrysler LLC and General Motors Corp. to shutter hundreds of car dealerships.

They said a pending June 1 deadline for a GM bankruptcy created more uncertainty for the industry, and could lead to a rash of more job losses and dealership closings.

Thirty-six members of Congress, mostly Republican, told the White House they were troubled by the work of the auto industry task force appointed by the president earlier this year. The panel has worked with GM and Chrysler to try to restructure the companies.

"They represent various Wall Street interests who have long looked at exporting jobs out of this country," said Rep. Dennis Kucinich, D-Ohio, who accused the task force of facilitating plans by GM to import Chinese-made vehicles to the U.S.

Five House members, including Kucinich, LaTourette and House Judiciary Chairman John Conyers, D-Mich., met with a representative of the Obama task force on Friday. "They're anxious to have additional meetings," said LaTourette spokeswoman Deborah Setliff.

The White House said it was focused on helping the companies become viable to preserve jobs and strengthen the auto industry.

"Saving the auto industry is an urgent priority for our nation and our workers. The task force has worked diligently and deliberatively throughout this process and we will continue to work with all stakeholders," said White House spokeswoman Amy Brundage.

Chrysler LLC, which has received $5.8 billion in federal aid, disclosed in bankruptcy court last week its plans to close about a quarter of its 3,200 U.S. dealerships by June 9.

General Motors, which has received $19.4 billion in aid and could be forced into bankruptcy, has told about 1,100 of its dealers — about 20 percent — that their franchise agreements will not be renewed by late next year. GM said Friday it had borrowed an additional $4 billion from the government, bringing its total to $19.4 billion.

Chrysler plans to close eight manufacturing plants, part of its work to shed assets, debt and contracts and shift its good assets to Italian automaker Fiat Group SpA.

GM and the United Auto Workers union reached a tentative agreement Thursday on labor and health care concessions. Details have not yet emerged but GM had previously said it would close 16 factories, laying off 21,000 hourly workers.

While many auto plants are confined to Rust Belt states, the loss of car dealership jobs affect communities throughout the country. With an upcoming Memorial Day recess looming, members of Congress are expected to field questions about the job losses.

While GM has not made its list public, Chrysler has identified 789 dealerships in 49 states that are scheduled to be closed. Only Alaska was spared.

"These dealers deserve a little more than a pink slip in the mail," wrote Missouri Sens. Claire McCaskill, a Democrat, and Kit Bond, a Republican.

The job losses have also brought vows of congressional oversight. Sens. Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., and Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, the ranking members on the Senate Commerce Committee, said they would hold hearings on the dealerships in early June.

Rockefeller's home state could lose 17 of its 24 Chrysler dealerships while 50 Chrysler dealerships in Texas are expected to go out of business.

"These companies cannot be allowed to take taxpayer funds for a bailout and then leave local dealers and their customers to fend for themselves with no real notice and no real help," Rockefeller said.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/...rtain-someone/

Tesla Motors’ Musk: Let Me Run Detroit

Elon Musk has tackled electric cars, space ships and modular renewable energy stations. Now he wants a real challenge: running Detroit.

“When the mess gets sorted out, I’d like to have a conversation with whoever’s in charge at the time — the car czar or whoever — and say ‘I’d like to run your plants, if you don’t mind,’” Musk said, starting that conversation Monday at Wired’s first-ever business conference, Disruptive by Design in Manhattan.

What would he do? Hint: he doesn’t think much of namby-pamby hybrids. In the future, Musk said, only electric cars will make sense.

He characterized cars like the Toyota Prius as “splitting the baby” in the style of King Solomon — a compromise that delivers neither the perfect gas-driven or electric-driven experience, due to the duplicate equipment required to harness dual energy sources.

“[The electric car] is an inevitable thing,” Musk said in a conversation with Wired editor-in-Chief Chris Anderson. “The reason I’m putting so much time and effort into helping create Tesla is because I’m hoping we can accelerate that transformation.”

The Paypal co-founder, who made nearly $200 million when eBay acquired that company in 2002, now focuses his energy on three quasar-hot topics: electric cars (at Tesla, the only company that currently sells one), space exploration (at Space-X, which won the contract to replace the Space Shuttle), and new energy technologies (at Solar City, which builds solar power systems for single-family homes and corporations).

Gossip mongers hoping for dirt in the ongoing lawsuit between Musk and Tesla founder Martin Eberhard will have to look elsewhere — with one possible exception.

Part of the problem with Detroit, he says, is the union system. “It’s not out of the question to have unions, but if there’s going to be a union, they’d better understand that they’re on the same side as the company,” he added. “I’m against having a two-class system where you’ve got the workers and then the managers, sort of like nobles and peasants…

“Most of our experienced factory workers come from unionized environments, and we asked them what benefit did they see in unions,” he added. “They said, ‘Well, if their boss was an asshole, they had recourse.’

“I said, ‘Let’s make a rule: There will be no assholes.’ I fired someone for being an asshole. And I only had to do that once, actually.”

The auto industry will be fine once CEO of GM, Barrack Obama, signs up all the legacy shit to taxpayers...(uses the his new Gov't run Health Care) and prolly all of GM will use it too.

Auto Industry...FIXED! according Obama. Use taxpayer money. The Gov't can fix everything.

The Unions vote for me, so I'll steal money from taxpayers to pay them back.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe
    The auto industry will be fine once CEO of GM, Barrack Obama, signs up all the legacy shit to taxpayers...(uses the his new Gov't run Health Care) and prolly all of GM will use it too.

Auto Industry...FIXED! according Obama. Use taxpayer money. The Gov't can fix everything.

You're assuming that the money doesn't get consumed some other way. If you hit a telephone pole with your car, it doesn't matter whether you fix the old car or get a new car, make a claim or not, it's gonna cost you big bucks one way or another. Do nothing, maybe let the pole fall down and take some electrical wires on the way, while letting the car just sit there and block the other traffic, and you'll have significant collateral damage above and beyond the price of the car even if the driver abandons the fucking car.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe

Find a new slant.

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gl'enn
    Colder than a witch's tit in church on Easter Sunday.

Blog Entries
    Hey, I'm sure he'll use it, too.

It's an equal opportunity emoticon.

Wait, does that mean he won't use it, then?
    Find a new slant.

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    Hey, I'm sure he'll use it, too.

It's an equal opportunity emoticon.

Wait, does that mean he won't use it, then?
    I don't think he will. It's a socialized image macro.

^ nice

But you can't refute that awesome post.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    Talks broke down today between GM and Roger Penske, who was attempting to buy Saturn.
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread