+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18
FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto Industry

Blog Entries
    Michigan isn't even kind to the white-collars anymore...

I'm thinking about moving out to San Diego once I get my degree. My uncle who lives in SD told me he can ge me a job at Qualcomm.

This place is just depressing...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfredo Ledezma
    Michigan isn't even kind to the white-collars anymore...

I'm thinking about moving out to San Diego once I get my degree. My uncle who lives in SD told me he can ge me a job at Qualcomm.

This place is just depressing...
    Yep.

Not because I'm white collar or anything...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Douche Baggins
    Yep.

Not because I'm white collar or anything...
    I wish I was...

I don't possess any 'hands-on' skills or trades.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, because once the "white collars" start feeling the pain, it's time to get out.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gl'enn
    Yeah, because once the "white collars" start feeling the pain, it's time to get out.
    That's the last step...

Now nobody is immune to the recession.

Blog Entries
    That's right, Lovey.
    Find a new slant.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    http://www.theonion.com/content/info...nion_rss_daily

The big three American automobile manufacturers spent much of last week lobbying Congress for a portion of the economic bailout, lest they go under. How did they get to this point?

1970: United Auto Workers fights for and wins 12 paid hangover days a year for its members

1977: Inspired by the hit motion picture The Spy Who Loved Me, Chrysler wastes four years trying to manufacture a car that turns into a submarine

1985: Ford spends the majority of its R & D budget designing sweet new "Chevy Sucks" decals

1991: Sales of the Pontiac Trans Am plunge after the car officially loses its pussy magnet designation

1997: Having meticulously crafted the 1998 Dodge Dakota to boast best-in-class payload and towing capacity, Chrysler decides to rest on its laurels for the next decade

1999: Chevrolet is sued for millions after it is discovered there is already a song named "Like a Rock" with the exact same lyrics and melody

2000: GM unveils the Buick Carbon, America's first mass-produced gas-coal hybrid vehicle

2001: At the Los Angeles Auto Show, GM introduces the Pontiac Aztek to raucous laughter, then stunned silence, then blood curdling screams of horror

2006: Oprah says her new favorite thing is non-American cars

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/...t.html?ref=rss

A group of disgruntled workers who took over a recently closed auto-parts supply company in Windsor, Ont., on Tuesday ended their siege Wednesday afternoon after reaching a deal that gives 80 laid-off employees severance and back pay.

The Canadian Auto Workers Union, which represents workers at the closed Aradco plant, held a rally there Wednesday. CAW president Ken Lewenza, speaking at the rally, told some 400 supporters a deal "in principle" had been reached.

About a dozen workers took over the Aradco facility Tuesday night. The plant takeover is the latest twist in a saga that has been brewing since two auto plants in the area shut down early last week.

The dozen workers had welded the doors shut from the inside, and said they would not leave until they got what they were owed.

Work at the Aradco plant stopped last week because of a dispute between the plant owners and Chrysler, which has mused publicly about pulling out of its Canadian operations unless unionized workers make substantial concessions.
    Workers to vote on deal Thursday

Speaking of the deal, Lewenza told a cheering crowd that "where we are today is 10 times farther than we ever were and than we'd ever get."

No further details of the deal were available, but they will be provided Thursday morning when workers are due to vote on the agreement, the CAW said.

The CAW has said Aradco workers are owed severance, vacation and termination pay totalling $1.7 million.

The plant's owner, Catalina Precision Products Ltd., has offered the workers four weeks of severance pay — or about $200,000 in total for all 80 workers.
    Union head says plant takeover was last option

The plant builds parts for Chrysler.

Since last week, Chrysler had been trying to go in and collect parts and tools it said belonged to the company, but the workers were not allowing it. They blocked trucks from coming on to the property.

Union representatives said the workers feared that if the tools and parts were removed, they would have no negotiating power.

"Some of the workers here have decided to take over the plant. That's the only thing they have in order to try to get the monies that are owing to them," Gerry Farnham, president of the CAW local representing the workers, said during the siege.

+ Reply to Thread