+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Michigan 3rd quarter woes

Michigan 3rd quarter woes

I made this it's own thread because I see it as a season long problem.

I've defended Rodriguez a great deal so far, and I still think he's a very solid coach and given the right group of players the team will be fine.

But a team that has shown capability to do a number of positive things, yet consistently falls flat on its face in the 3rd quarter has to have coaches taking the blame. What goes on in the locker room at half time? Whatever it is, it leaves the team coming out flat, unresponsive, and pathetic.

How many first half leads has the team lost in the 3rd quarter this season?

Clearly this isn't about talent. Talent has kept the team in many games in the first half. Talent has allowed, at times, 4th quarter surges (Utah game). But coaching has killed the 3rd quarter.

So what can be done about that? Anyone have any observations?
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Here's a little more info on the struggles.

UM has been outscored 66-20 in the 3rd this season. They've been shutout in the 3rd in 8 of 11 games. They've had the lead at halftime in 6 consecutive games, only to see the other team take the lead after 3 in 3 of those, and tie it up in 2 others. Meaning of those 6, Minnesota is the only game in the past 6 that they didn't give up the lead in during the 3rd. Utah scored what ended up being the game winning points in the 3rd.

In other words, had they won the 3rd quarter of their games this season, they would be in a bowl game.
    Opponents are adjusting at half time, Michigan is forgetting how to play the game.

As much work as the players need to do to improve during the offseason with conditioning, spring practices, exectution, ball control, angles in the secondary, sure tackling, etc. - the coaching staff MUST improve themselves as well. The play calling on both sides of the ball and the halftime motivation is greatly lacking.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Jethro:

All the assfuckhats on Scout lay back and pummel the players on the team. I think you are taking an objective look at it and coming to the conclusion that coaching IS a problem. Anyone can see that.

I have a buddy who is WAY into UM Snobbery. Graduated from there, donates, flies off to the Carribean for vacations and weekend getaways, you get the picture.
    Since DickRod was hired, he worried that the poor sap was in over his head. He has worried about the "cultural fit" Doesn't think DickRod can fit in.

I agree. I don't know if I've posted this here (and I'm too lazy to check)--but UM is not a school that can hire a guy who is "just a football coach." UM needs a Pete Carroll, Tressel, or someone like that. The school needs a personality, another Bo. UM is a national recruiter because it is a PLAYA, but the home base sucks ass for talent, and as we can see, now, the best players in the state leave or a few of them go to MSU. DickRod has also turned his back on Michigan recruits to concentrate, inexplicably, in areas where unless you are a fucking Ballsy Motherfucker, you just ain't gonna get the Big Timers to leave. Why is UM hiring a guy like Hopson who can recruit Mississippi or some dogshit state like that, but not recruit them to Michigan?

Anyway, back to your original question: DickRod came in and shoved this spread down the players' throats, alienated a lot of vets, and the defensive staff was hired ass backwards. As in: Who the fuck hires his defensive coordinator LAST???? It is clear that my biggest fear was realized: That DickRod would come in and throw his shit against the wall hoping a lot of it would stick, and none of it has. He has imploded the program just like Callahan at Nebraska, and quite frankly, he just might not get this thing back.

A guy who showed so much promise couldn't even put a staff together, and now he must either make changes or recruit his ass off and start over in Year 2. If you remember, even Callahan turned things around a bit in Year 2, going 8-4 after having the good fortune to be paired in a bowl game against Lloyd Carr.

I give Rodriguez about 1 more year. After another 3-9 season (or worse) in 2009, he and Martin will be out the door.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

+ Reply to Thread