+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Start Stuckey and bench Rip?

Start Stuckey and bench Rip?

Hear me out

Stuckey plays PG along side Iverson. Stuckey focuses on distributing the ball and getting others involved. Stuckey's been struggling to score as the primary scorer off the bench. Focusing on PG duties might help Stuckey learn to pick his spots, rather than feeling the pressure to score. Iverson moves to SG, his natural position, and is the first option on offense.

Rip goes to the bench, where he becomes the first option on offense (what he's used to). We gain consistent scoring off the bench and Rip gets to find his groove back as the primary second unit scorer. Of course, the key is buy in from Rip.

This stems from my concern that Rip is getting lost in the mix right now. Too many chefs in the kitchen with him, Iverson, and Tayshaun in the backcourt.

The one person who is struggling with the Iverson move is Rip. I agree that benching him might be able to make him get back into form, but the Pistons are not going anywhere unless Rip and Iverson can make this work. I say give it more time - it's only been 5 games. Rip is a professional and will figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

you have been heard...and DENIED.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Keep in mind that "struggling" here consists of Rip averaging 16 ppg since AI's showed up, as opposed to 20 ppg in the games before. Most of that drop is due to one truly shitty game against Boston. Factor that out and Rip is at 18 ppg since AI's arrival.

I don't think we need to make a dramatic move here, not just yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I agree with Mxy.
    Find a new slant.

I wouldn't bench Rip. I agree that he just needs some time to adjust. Keep in mind that his good friend and teammate was just traded and I would be shocked if there WAS NOT some sort of adjustment period.

I also don't want to discount how well Afflalo has played. He has quietly played very solid D as well as shooting well in a limited role. Afflalo looks very comfortable on the floor and is becoming one of our better defenders. He deserves some PT and in my opinion has out played Stuckey so far this season. Stuckey and Afflalo as the back-up PG and SG seem like a good tandem.

I'm in the Mxy camp here too.

I think it's a question of Rip finding other ways to work with AI than just hitting his shot off curls. He's getting open shots on kick-outs and a couple of times he's moved to the basket with AI penetrating.

I don't know if he's struggling but I like the idea of him having more scoring options in his game and don't mind him taking time to work it out.

I'll give Matt credit on this one. I think it has its merits, but I think the concern would be our response to cold shooting early on with that first unit. Typically, Rip is the safety valve for the offense, and if he's on the bench we could suffer. AI has been shooting the lights out from mid-deep range since he got here, but I don't know if that'll continue consistently. With AI and Stuckey out there it could be brick city once in a while, but with Rip City, we know what we're going to get on most nights.

The starting lineup is really rolling right now, though, IMO, and once McDyess is back to anchor that second unit with Stuckey, I think we'll be fine. Stuckey is trying to be "the man" with the second unit because once he penetrates he doesn't have anyone to dish to and thinks he has to force the finish. JMO.

WE ARE ALL WITNESSES

Blog Entries
    Rip is emo enough as it is.
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread