+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Return of the Fairness Doctrine?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfredo Ledezma
    Anybody want to shed some light on what exactly this thing will do? I wasn't around the last time this thing was in play...

Is it just a way to keep...

Rush Limbaugh
    Sean Hannity
    Mark Levin
    Laura Ingraham
    Hugh Hewitt
    Michael Savage
    Bill O'Reilly
    Glenn Beck
    Paul W. Smith
    Frank Beckmann

from voicing their opinions...?

First Amendment, anybody?
    Your homework assignment is to google the fairness doctrine and read the first amendment. No, you're not allowed to pay anyone to do it for you.

So without doing any research and reading what you guys posted here, a person has to devote some time to give a contrasting viewpoint on his/her show? So basically it makes the zombies that watch these shows actually hear a different opinion.

And you guys are regarding this as an "End of Days" thing?

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

I think the idea is antiquated, a throwback to 30 or 40 years ago when the public airwaves were dominated by a small number of big tv stations and people still huddled around their radios for news. In those days some sort of "share the road" rules were necessary to keep the discourse from being dominated by one side.

These days, with the internet, satellite radio, eleventy billion cable stations, etc... there's ample outlet in the marketplace for anyone to air any point of view they please without the blunt instrument of a fairness doctrine.

The only reason it's even being discussed now is because the democrats were down and out and grasping at straws. Now that they're back in power this particular desperation ploy will probably fade away.

Right wingnuts can rest easy, the open sewer that is Limbaugh and Hannity will continue to flow directly into the river of public discourse.

Blog Entries
    From my understanding, part of the reason that this is an issue right now is that with the consolidation of the radio industry, you've only got a handful of companies running all of the radio stations.

There are markets where a corporate broadcaster owns three stations airing Rush Limbaugh at the same time, in the same market, effectively blocking out competition.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Find a new slant.

This is bullshit like being able to control cursing on the airwaves is bullshit. If you don't like it change the fucking channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    From my understanding, part of the reason that this is an issue right now is that with the consolidation of the radio industry, you've only got a handful of companies running all of the radio stations.

There are markets where a corporate broadcaster owns three stations airing Rush Limbaugh at the same time, in the same market, effectively blocking out competition.
    That's true but in the presence of so many venues (internet, satellite, cable, etc) does the consolidation of broadcast radio represent a real problem? ... requiring heavy-handed (and whatever form the fairness doctrine took, it'd be a pretty big, blunt instrument) government intervention?

I would still contend that the push for it doesn't come from a lack of access but fear on the part of democrats at how effective the right wing blowhards are. Even if liberals had equal time, nobody would listen to a "liberal Limbaugh" ... copying pages out of the right's playbook just doesn't work (c.f: Air America Radio).

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    +10 Motowns.

Blog Entries
    I agree that a return to this legislation is largely unnecessary, but on the bright side, the increased battle of ideologies on these shows would likely lead to some pretty bitchin' fights/disagreements.

Unless the host just talks over you and won't let you speak, that is.
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread