+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dick DeVos leaving politics

Blog Entries

Dick DeVos leaving politics

To My Friends and Supporters,

After considerable thought, prayer and consultation with Betsy and our family, I have concluded that my ability to impact the future of Michigan will be more significant at this time from outside government, instead of inside. So to allow me to do what I have always done best, that is to create jobs and opportunity in the private sector, I will not be a candidate for Governor in 2010.

This has been an especially difficult decision since so many of you have been encouraging of me, both during my prior campaign, but also since the 2006 election. Your encouragement and friendship have been tremendous gifts to me.

In order to be able to speak to you personally, I have posted a brief video message on the "Right Michigan" website which you can access directly by following the link below.

http://www.rightmichigan.com/story/2008/11/12/13559/403

Thank you, but most of all thank you for your friendship!

Find a new slant.

Ledezma is shattered.
    STEW BEEF!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    Ledezma is shattered.
    I am sorry to hear that but thank you for your friendship!
    Find a new slant.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    I suspect he'll be funding Hoekstra's 2010 run for Governor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    Ledezma is shattered.

Mike Cox would've gotten the Republican nomination anyway.

Mike Cox will win Governor.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Fitting name for a guy who'd be one of the many cocks Fredo blindly shoves down his esophagus for the conservative cause.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfredo Ledezma
    Mike Cox would've gotten the Republican nomination anyway.

Mike Cox will win Governor.
    I'd bet on Rogers over Cox and Bishop -- and that's just the Mikes.

3 choices... Mike Cox, Ben Hard, L Otts Lately.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    LOL@ the bold part below

Archer says he won’t run for governor

By Chad Halcom
    Crain's Detroit Business

Former Detroit Mayor Dennis Archer announced Thursday he will not make a bid to run for governor in 2010, after months of gauging interest from voters and the business community.

Archer, 66, was viewed as a possible contender for the job after Gov. Jennifer Granholm leaves the post due to term limits.

But he told a small crowd of supporters and the media at the Detroit Regional Chamber offices that a two-year campaign would force him to abandon other career pursuits and time with his family.

“I would have to marry the state,” he said about forgoing the gubernatorial race. “The state is worth marrying, but I was not (personally) ready to make that decision.”

Archer is board chairman of Detroit-based Dickinson Wright P.L.L.C., and a former president of the American Bar Association. He was also Detroit Regional Chamber president in 2006-07, and mayor from 1994 to 2001.

Archer said the duties of mayor often had him working 16 to 18 hour days and the governor’s position could only be more demanding, particularly adding in travel time to its various commitments.

But he added that state government has lacked leadership in recent years and that its recent change of tax structure from the Single Business Tax to the Michigan Business Tax had “hurt small business, and had unintended consequences for larger businesses.”

What Lansing lacks is a strong sense of leadership and it has a real need to use the bully pulpit in politics, he said.

“The job grants the opportunity to get the public involved in their government, and when the bully pulpit isn’t used then the legislature feels free to act however they want, or how they are lobbied.”

He also fended off speculation that he has expectations of a federal appointment with the Obama administration in January.

Granholm could possibly vacate her post early if selected by Obama for a cabinet position, and Lt. Gov. John Cherry is expected to run for the office in 2010.

Flint Mayor Don Williamson already has announced his gubernatorial candidacy, and ex-Michigan State University head football coach George Perles also expects to run, both as Democrats.

From the GOP, possible candidates include State Attorney General Mike Cox, who has formed an exploratory committee; U.S. Rep. Candice Miller; and David Brandon, chairman and CEO of Ann Arbor-based Domino’s Pizza Inc.

Archer also said not joining the gubernatorial fray means he also passes up on the bully pulpit himself, a decision that did not come easy.

“As a recovering former politician, I still do sometimes get the notion,” he said.
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread