View Poll Results: Your initial thoughts on the Pistons/Nuggets trade?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it for the Pistons

28 84.85%
  • I don't like it for the Pistons

5 15.15%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 37
FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistons trade Billups/McDyess/Samb for Allen Iverson

Blog Entries
    Joe D:

Pistons acquire Iverson for Billups, McDyess, Samb

Posted Nov 3 2008 3:26PM

The Denver Nuggets have agreed to a deal that would send Allen Iverson to the Pistons in exchange for Chauncey Billups, Antonio McDyess and Cheikh Samb, the two teams announced Monday.

"We are pleased to welcome Allen Iverson to the Pistons organization," said Joe Dumars, Pistons President of Basketball Operations. "Allen has proven he is one of the elite players in the league and we like what he adds to our roster at the guard position. We appreciate everything that Chauncey Billups, Antonio McDyess and Cheikh Samb brought to the organization during their time here in Detroit and we certainly wish them all the best."

There is one sticking point to the deal, though. TNT analyst David Aldridge reports that McDyess does not want to go to Denver, and a source close to him says "he will not put on a Nuggets uniform" and may opt to retire.

Because of McDyess's objection, the Nuggets may waive the mandatory physical each player in a trade must take in order for the league to approve any deal. McDyess may be seeking a buyout of the remainder of his contract (two years, $13.6 million).

A source with knowledge of the trade discussions says that the Nuggets would be willing to discuss a buyout with McDyess, but only if he agrees to a "significant" amount less than the $13.6 million he's due through the end of the 2009-10 season.

According to the source, McDyess would have to give up about 50 percent of his salary, meaning he'd have to agree to take about $6.8 million of the $13.6 million he's due in any potential buyout if he wants to play elsewhere. Otherwise, the Nuggets will keep him on their roster regardless of whether he decides to report or not.

The Nuggets are extremely close to the luxury tax number of $71.1 million. Teams that spend more than that on player salaries have to pay a dollar for dollar penalty if they exceed the amount; every dollar spent above $71.1 million thus costs a team $2 in tax.

The deal has not been finalized but the teams are holding a conference call with the league.

In three games with the Nuggets this season, Iverson is averaging 18.7 points and 6.7 assists.

In the Pistons' two wins this season Chauncey Billups is averging 12.5 points, 5.0 rebounds and 7.5 assists, while Antonio McDyess is averaging 7.0 points and 4.0 rebounds in 19 minutes per game.

The blockbuster deal comes two games into the season for Detroit. The Pistons have been a model of consistency in recent years, but they were determined to change their core following a third straight exit from the Eastern Conference finals last summer.

The Pistons play at Charlotte Monday night. The Bobcats are coached by Larry Brown, who led Billups and the Pistons to the 2004 NBA title and also guided the Iverson-led Philadelphia 76ers to a spot in the finals in 2001.

Billups returns to familiar surroundings -- he was born in Denver and played in college at Colorado. McDyess also will be enjoying a homecoming of sorts, having been a Nugget from 1995-97 and 1998-02.
    Find a new slant.

If they pay him half in a buyout there's a real chance we sign him for half his current salary. If that's the case, the trade only gets better.
    STEW BEEF!

Then we could trade him again for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    If they pay him half in a buyout there's a real chance we sign him for half his current salary. If that's the case, the trade only gets better.
    We can't pay him half his current salary without having cap room.

I think the vet's min is about all we'll have to offer.

If he takes 50% from Denver and then signs here for the min, the Pistons should retire his jersey NOW.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    on with Stoney right now.
    Find a new slant.

That's a good point. It was sounding too good to be true.
    STEW BEEF!

Blog Entries
    McCosky just said that he talked to LB this morning and he was just shaking his head and said "I don't know why they (the Pistons) would make that move". Chris says that was purely in the context of having to coach both Sheed and AI.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    McCosky also said "it's my understanding that the Pistons would not have made this trade if they were not completely sure that Dice was coming back".

He mentioned that Denver is going to really try to sell that they want to keep Dice to make this look like it wasn't a pre-arranged deal.
    Find a new slant.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Rip'll be shooting more crunch-time FTs, that's for sure.

I'm bummed that we lose Samb instead of Sharpe.

I posted that Dice was going after Maxiell was signed, but I had no idea that it'd be this soon.

AI... whoa. I'm still kinda in shock!

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    McCosky also said "it's my understanding that the Pistons would not have made this trade if they were not completely sure that Dice was coming back".
    It sure worked out well with Elden Campbell... not!

+ Reply to Thread