+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Wings News

Blog Entries
    I think Ansar Khan is a pretty cool name.

Find a new slant.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    So is McCarty pretty much just an enforcer now? I don't get to see enough games.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

Helm's back? Good news.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny
    So is McCarty pretty much just an enforcer now? I don't get to see enough games.
    I've heard that they're just about done with him.

He was on waivers last week, IIRC.
    Find a new slant.

McCarty got a couple of fourth line shifts every game these last few games. Nothing much other than the fights, really. It's better to just get Helm back in the lineup.

I'm glad Meech is still playing at the wing. I love his forechecking, maybe even more than his defense.

I'm so happy the Wings are playing the Habs tonight. They should be playing 4 times a year. I came close to going and I know I'm going to regret not spending the money and seeing the game live.

Do you regret it?

Mac was just on waivers so they had the option to send him to the minors and bring up someone like Helm when they needed, not because they're done with him.
    _

I loved Hossa with Dats. You could put my dead grandmother out there on the other wing and they were still the best line in the league. I do think Z's been looking a step slow these days and even though he has 25 points you don't feel like he owns the game like he usually does. Hopefully it's not that groin injury still nagging him and this line change can help him.

Wings' Hossa has new linemate in Zetterberg
    It was Datsyuk; now Zetterberg

BY HELENE ST. JAMES • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • December 9, 2008

When Marian Hossa showed up for work Monday morning, his usual center greeted him with a smile and thanked him for the memories.
    Advertisement

It was Pavel Datsyuk's way of telling Hossa the two were no longer linemates. Their split was part of an overall shuffling that saw Hossa moved to a line with Henrik Zetterberg and Dan Cleary, and Datsyuk centering Tomas Holmstrom and Valtteri Filppula. Johan Franzen, a mainstay on Zetterberg's left side, centered the third line with Mikael Samuelsson and Jiri Hudler, and Kris Draper was with Kirk Maltby and Tomas Kopecky.

It's the first time Hossa has been with a center other than Datsyuk. "I didn't play with Z one game, so it's something new," Hossa said. "I think Hank shoots a little more than Pavel. Pavel is more a real passer. So they are a little different there, but they are pretty similar players -- they back-check hard, they play well in both end zones."

Hossa has clicked phenomenally with Datsyuk, though Datsyuk slyly suggested there might be tension between the two. "I tell him after a game he too much yell at me," Datsyuk said, smiling. "He want I more pass."

Though the Wings are second in the NHL with a 3.54 goals-per-game average, that number might be higher if more forwards shot more. Hossa leads the Wings with 113 shots, and Zetterberg is second at 94; not coincidentally, Hossa leads the Wings with 29 points, and Zetterberg is second with 25. Filppula and Cleary each have far too good a shot to have only 43 and 46 shots, respectively.

There's no guarantee, however, these lines will be intact when the Wings play next, Wednesday against Calgary. All coach Mike Babcock has decided is that Ty Conklin will get his second straight start in net.

"I just want us to play better," Babcock said. "To me, to be a good team you've got to engage emotionally. It's an emotional game, and it takes passion and energy to be the best. When you're not like that -- and there's lots of times during the year you're not because it's just impossible, it's 82 games -- sometimes change is as good as a rest."

Zetterberg sounded happy to gain Hossa, who brings more speed to the right side, and Cleary.

"The most impressive thing I've seen is his work ethic," Zetterberg said. "It's not just one way, it's both ways -- he really back-checks hard and makes it easier for his linemates to play good."

There were also changes on defense, with Nicklas Lidstrom opposite Brad Stuart and Niklas Kronwall opposite Brian Rafalski, leaving Andreas Lilja-Brett Lebda intact. Defenseman Chris Chelios is ready to grab a spot if needed, having recovered from a broken leg.

Babcock switches back to regular lines

by Ansar Khan Wednesday December 10, 2008, 11:21 AM

Update from Wednesday's morning skate: Coach Mike Babcock switched back to his usual forward line combinations, which he said he always intended to do. He said he switched things up for a couple of days just to see how players would react to playing with different linemates.
    "I had a good opportunity to see how they might be if I decide that's (how he wants them),'' Babcock said. "You learn who wants to play with who by their body English and there's lots you can learn. Some guys play better with certain guys. Let's try to have them with those guys as much as we can. Sometimes during the year it gets like Ground Hog Day, you got to change things up.''
    He added: "To me, it's having a net presence on every line and having a shooter on every line and someone who can make plays.''
    So here's the lines for tonight's game against Calgary:

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Hossa
    Franzen-Zetterberg-Samuelsson
    Hudler-Filppula-Cleary
    Kopecky-Draper-Maltby

On defense:
    Lidstrom-Rafalski
    Kronwall-Stuart
    Lebda-Lilja

Scratches:
    Meech
    Chelios
    McCarty (IR)

"The bottom line is none of it matters, it's about how we play tonight,'' Babcock said. "We're playing a team that played last night (lost 4-1 in Montreal) and got in late. The formula is very simple, it's called energy early, get after them on the forecheck and let's play.''
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

You know...when he said that about the defensive pairings I should have known it was coming. I just would like to see if Hossa playing with Z would get Zetterberg back to his dominating form.

I'm going to miss Meech the winger. I really liked his forechecking.

I was surprised at how well Meech did as a winger. Its good to have that sort of flexibility. I remember having that with Dandenault back in the day.
    _

+ Reply to Thread