SD-Sen: Dykstra vs Johnson
    TN-Sen: Alexander vs Tuke
    TX-Sen: Cornyn vs Noriega
    VA-Sen: Gilmore vs Warner
    WV-Sen: Wolfe vs Rockefeller
    WY-Sen: Enzi vs Rothfuss
    WY-Sen: Barasso vs Carter

Map and Polling breakdown
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

While you might not normally pay attention to this...the Dems can secure a veto proof majority with 60 seats.
    Of the 35 Senate seats on the line this year, 23 are held by Republicans. Five Republican senators are retiring: Pete Domenici of New Mexico, Wayne Allard of Colorado, John Warner of Virginia, Larry Craig of Idaho and Chuck Hagel of Nebraska.

Democrats control the Senate. Although it's split evenly with 49 Democrats and 49 Republicans, two independents -- Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Joe Lieberman of Connecticut -- caucus with the Democrats.

Some believe Democrats may actually need 61 seats in order to have a majority because of the "Lieberman factor."

In 2006, Republicans lost six seats in the Senate and 30 seats in the House, shifting the majority to the Democratic Party.

Rothenberg (Stuart Rothenberg, editor of the nonpartisan Rothenberg Political Report) and Sabato agree that Virginia, New Mexico, Colorado and New Hampshire are all but a lock for Democrats. With Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens on trial on corruption charges, Alaska could go to Democrats as well.

"Minnesota, Mississippi, and Kentucky are the three states most likely to determine whether Democrats get to 60," Rothenberg said, adding the unexpectedly tight race in North Carolina between incumbent Republican Elizabeth Dole and state Sen. Kay Hagan could turn out detrimental for Republicans as well.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    Which happens first?

A) Carl Levin dies

B) Carl Levin resigns

Blog Entries
    Carl Levin is a fucking stud.

I especially appreciate his Ben Franklin-inspired haircut and eyeglasses.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    I like Carl better than Stabenow.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn

Carl is the man.

BTW, I wrote him for my Citizenship in America merit badge in scouts when I was 11. He wrote me back (or his staff did). I also met him a few times at parades. He's a pretty cool guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfredo Ledezma
    Which happens first?

A) Carl Levin dies

B) Carl Levin resigns
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn

A) Carl Levin is electrocuted while flying a kite.

B) Carl Levin gives up his senate seat to become a full time inventor.

Fixed.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Try as I might, I still think Grandpa Munster moreso than Ben Franklin when I see Levin.

A good read about a few GOP canidates battling against McCain's trend downwards:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/...use/index.html

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    To be clear, the article is about House candidates and the thread is currently about Senate races.

What's surprising is which Senate races are and aren't in play with the Democratic wave. Georgia, Kentucky, and Mississippi have tight Senate races, despite Obama being unlikely to win those states (it may be close in Georgia). But the Maine race is safely Republican despite Obama ahead by 10+ points, a lackluster incumbent Republican in Collins, and a fairly decent Democratic candidate.

+ Reply to Thread