Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2008 - Lions trade rumors/speculation

Blog Entries

2008 - Lions trade rumors/speculation

Handful of Lions considered trade bait
    By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports
    4 hours, 0 minutes ago

Though in-season NFL trades are a rarity, four team executives talked to Yahoo! Sports about players they believe should be dealt prior to the deadline next Tuesday.

The executives agreed that the only teams that should really be cleaning house at this point are the Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions and St. Louis Rams. Even though the Houston Texans are 0-4, many observes believe they will rebound and play well.

Furthermore, the Texans don’t have many players who should just be dumped, aside from running back Ahman Green.

“And I would only take Green if I was truly desperate,” one of the executive said. “Thank God I’m not in that situation.”

Here’s a list of the top 10 players who should be dealt.

1. RB Larry Johnson, Kansas City Chiefs

Comment: “By the time the Chiefs are good again, he’s going to be done. … I don’t understand why they gave him all the money and then they wouldn’t sign Jared Allen. If you’re rebuilding, you don’t do it with a running back who’s going to be burned.” Another executive said Johnson has a reputation around the league as being a “spoiled brat” and “not much of a leader.”

Best potential fits: He’s not a perfect fit in Philadelphia because of the style of the offense, but all of the executives said the Eagles could use him now that Brian Westbrook has broken ribs. Other teams that could use him would be the Denver Broncos, New England Patriots and New Orleans Saints.
    2. DE Dewayne White Detroit

Comment: “He isn’t a great player, but he’s a good one and he can help any rotation. Plus, you can move him inside from time to time. He probably won’t get more than five or six sacks, but that’s worth it if you’re the right team.” Said another exec: “Try finding a pass rusher at this point of the year.”

Best potential fits: Just about any team except the New York Giants, Indianapolis Colts, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Jacksonville Jaguars.
    3. WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Bengals

Comment: “He’s going to be a free agent. He’s going to get paid. The Bengals won’t pay him, which is a joke because he’s one of the few guys on that team you could even begin to call a leader.” Said another executive: “He’d be perfect in Indianapolis, but it won’t happen.”

Best potential fits: Bucs, Jags, Dallas Cowboys, Tennessee Titans and Buffalo Bills.
    4. CB Patrick Surtain, Chiefs

Comment: “He’s hurt (shoulder injury) and he has declined, but it’s the same thing as pass rushers; you need cover guys. You can’t get enough of them.”

Best potential fits: Saints, Arizona Cardinals, Green Bay Packers and Baltimore Ravens.
    5. CB Brian Kelly, Lions

Comment: “Same as with Surtain, although Kelly has declined more and he has problems in straight man coverage … not a great player anymore, but they’ll get more for him than he’s really worth.”

Best potential fits: Cardinals, Packers, Saints and Ravens.
    6. WR Roy Williams, Lions

Comment: “I think he’ll play harder for some other team.”

Best potential fits: Jags, Bucs, Cowboys and Minnesota Vikings.
    7. DT Cory Redding, Lions

Comment: “If I’m the Lions, I clean house starting now. I don’t even wait for a new GM. This guy played hard for a contract and hasn’t done anything since. Again, I think it’s more about Detroit than the player, so I’d take a chance … if he’s motivated, he can rush the passer from the inside.”

Best potential fits: Colts, Eagles, Redskins and Broncos.
    8. TE Tony Gonzalez, Chiefs

Comment: “He’s a good guy in the locker room and he takes care of himself. Between the leadership and the fact that he might still be really good in two to three years, it would take a lot for me to deal him and I don’t think anybody is going to offer that much.”

Best potential fits: Jags, Bucs, Vikings and Titans.
    9. WR Chad Johnson, Bengals

Comment: “I’m amazed how quiet he has been. Maybe that injury is worse than we thought. You know he wants out and he’s the most gifted receiver in the league. But the injury is an issue.”

Best potential fits: Pats, Cowboys, Vikings, Titans and Jags.
    10. DE Antwan Odom, Texans

Comment: “They just signed him as a free agent (in the offseason), so I don’t think he’ll be available. But I think they realize he’s overrated. He’s purely a complementary player.”

Best potential fits: Pats, Jags and Colts.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Are Lions shopping WR Roy Williams?

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reported Tuesday that some teams are saying that the Lions are shopping wide receiver Roy Williams. According to Schefter, back in April, the Lions were requesting two first-round draft picks for Williams. The Lions say they'd only deal Williams if an offer that was too good to be true was made.

In Sunday's loss to the Bears, Williams expressed his frustration on the sidelines, according to the Detroit Free Press, and fans chanted for the team to trade him. However, Williams told the paper he wants to be a Lion:

"Let me clarify this for everybody," he said. "If I didn't want to be here, I wouldn't go in. I've got the money to sit down on the sideline, OK? So if I didn't want to be here, I wouldn't play. When the ball's thrown my way, I'm trying to get to the end zone. That's my job. So when you see me catch a ball, if I don't give you the first-down sign, I don't want to be here."

The Cowboys and Eagles always seems to come up when a wide receiver is mentioned in trade talks.

Source: Philly.com
    Find a new slant.

I'd trade every one of them on the list. Get a good talent evaluator that can use our picks to re-tool the roster. Most of the guys on this list are Rod's guys and we may end up switching systems anyway.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Hell yes, trade trade trade. Get picks galore that cover the next 2-3 years. First day picks. Next year all we have to do is field a team. Get experience for some young guys, but we should be drafting near the top of each round for the next two years, and picking about 7 guys in the first 3 rounds each time.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Blog Entries
    Kitna to Dallas

Source: me
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Kitna is also being dealt to New England.

same source as above
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Kitna is also being dealt to New England.

same source as above
    Some one actually called Sean Baligian last week and said they read in a Boston newspaper that the Pats offered the Lions a 3rd round pick after Brady tore his ACL in week 1, and Millen turned them down.

Of course we we're only 0-1 at that point, but still...I'd take a 6th for Kitna.

i can't believe we were stupid enough to not take that deal. Then again, you know who was still running the show.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Kitna to Dallas

We should be offering them Brian Kelly or even Bodden.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    Kitna to Dallas

No, but I'll take TRRW.

+ Reply to Thread