+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Big Bang Machine

The Big Bang Machine

Scientists turn on biggest ‘Big Bang Machine’
    After 14 years of preparation, a new scientific wonder of the world opened for business Wednesday with the official startup of Europe's Large Hadron Collider.

The $10 billion particle accelerator is the biggest, most expensive science machine on earth, designed to probe mysteries ranging from dark matter and missing antimatter to the existence of extra, unseen dimensions in space.

Scientists, journalists and dignitaries watched from the control room at Europe's CERN particle-physics center on the French-Swiss border, near Geneva, as beams of protons were sent all the way around the collider's 17-mile (27-kilometer) underground ring of supercooled pipes for the first time.
    There is a lot more of this here

My guess is that nothing comes of this, or they destroy the earth, or a superhero (and or villain) is accidentally created

So far they have protons making the circuit clockwise. They are in the midst of getting them to go counter clockwise. Things are going smoother then they had hoped so far.

Also, "science machine" is a great term.
    STEW BEEF!

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    ~sigh~ Glad science isn't doing weird wasteful dumb shit like systematic extreme religions. First muthafucka to say figuring out a black hole is important in a world that can't figure out poverty has been watching too much sci fi.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

This thread sounds like it belongs in the Champagne Room.....
    _

Quote Originally Posted by Zekyl
    This thread sounds like it belongs in the Champagne Room.....
    Yeah. For a second I thought it said "Europes biggest hard-on collider"

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzle
    My guess is that nothing comes of this, or they destroy the earth, or a superhero (and or villain) is accidentally created

LOL I never thought of this.

It does crack me up that they're actually worried about creating microscopic black holes that would suck the earth in. I'm not really sure what they're trying to gain by that.

And what would an alien race say if they came about the ruins of the Earth when they discovered we killed ourselves by creating black holes in our own atmosphere?

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

You know someone is going to have to try jumping in it to become a superhero.

I vote for Wil.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown
    You know someone is going to have to try jumping in it to become a superhero.

I vote for Wil.
    I told the government "thanks, but no thanks" for that jump into the Big Bang Machine.
    Find a new slant.

good one.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Quote Originally Posted by Codename V
    ~sigh~ Glad science isn't doing weird wasteful dumb shit like systematic extreme religions. First muthafucka to say figuring out a black hole is important in a world that can't figure out poverty has been watching too much sci fi.
    Figuring out a black hole is important.

+ Reply to Thread