+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Democratic National Convention thread

Blog Entries

2008 Democratic National Convention thread

Tahoe (or anyone else) can start the Republican thread.

Pelosi, Michelle Obama to kick off Dem Convention

By STEVEN K. PAULSON, Associated Press Writer
    24 minutes ago

DENVER - Michelle Obama and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi will be the featured first-night speakers at the Democratic National Convention, which also will include a videotaped message from Massachusetts Sen. Edward Kennedy.

Michelle Obama will be introduced by her brother, Craig Robinson, a former basketball star at Princeton and now coach at Oregon State, on the first night on Aug. 25. Barack Obama's half sister, Maya Soetoro-Ng, also will have a role at the convention.

Other opening night speakers include Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper and Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill, an early Obama supporter, organizers said Tuesday.

Pelosi will be recognized for helping lead the Democratic Party back to power in Congress, said organizer Jenny Backus. "She was in the vanguard of the movement. She recruited a generation of young leaders," Backus said.

Opening night will also feature a tribute to Kennedy, who has taped a five-minute video to air during the party gathering. Kennedy suffered a seizure at his Hyannisport, Mass., house on May 17 and was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. He underwent surgery and recently completed a six-week course of chemotherapy and radiation.

The opening night theme is "One Nation." The Aug. 26 theme is "Renewing America's Promise" with a speech by Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton.

On Aug. 27, the theme is "Securing America's Future" with an acceptance speech by Obama's still-unannounced vice presidential candidate.

The theme for Aug. 28, the night Obama formally accepts the nomination at the Denver Broncos' football stadium, is "Change You Can Believe In." Colorado Gov. Bill Ritter will be among speakers that night.

Other convention speakers will be announced over the next two weeks.

The Democratic National Convention Committee said Tuesday it will issue daily convention webcasts under the theme "Countdown to America's Future." The 15-minute segments will air daily at 4:30 p.m. EDT from Aug. 24 through Aug. 28 on DemConvention.com, Comcast's Video On Demand, and via satellite. A final program will air at 9 a.m. EDT on Friday, Aug. 29.
    Find a new slant.

I'm just glad I don't work downtown. I have a feeling the protests are going to create gridlock on the roads down there.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Looking forward to see who BO names VP
    Players meeting my ASS!

I'm actually looking forward to seeing both of their VP choices. I suspect McCain will choose Romney in the end (that's who I would pick).
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    Hillary Clinton's name to be placed in nomination

By LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press Writer
    23 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Hillary Rodham Clinton's name will be placed in nomination along with nominee-in-waiting Barack Obama at the Democratic National Convention, an emblematic move intended to unite the party after a divisive primary.

During the Denver gathering, Democrats will officially choose Obama to run against Republican John McCain this fall, but the state delegations will do a traditional roll call for their nominee's vanquished primary opponent as well.

Obama and Clinton — fierce rivals then, reluctant allies now — agreed to the arrangement after weeks of negotiations between their respective aides. The two sides made the announcement Thursday in a collegial joint statement.

"I am convinced that honoring Senator Clinton's historic campaign in this way will help us celebrate this defining moment in our history and bring the party together in a strong united fashion," said Obama, an Illinois senator.
    I'm really starting to think that an Obama/Clinton ticket is going to happen.
    Find a new slant.

^ It would be about as close to guaranteeing a win, imo, as you could get.
    Players meeting my ASS!

A lot is riding on his VP nom. Don't blow it, Barack.

Please not her
    _

Blog Entries
    Muhammad Ali, who is good friends with McCain, will be attending the DNC and supporting Obama.
    Find a new slant.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Muhammad Ali, who doesn't give a fuck about McCain, will be attending the DNC and supporting Obama.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

+ Reply to Thread