+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2009 MLB Draft thread

2009 MLB Draft thread

Too early?

It seems more and more that this is what we're playing for these days. Hoping numerous older free agents depart and bring us draft choices in return, while hoping the under-30 crowd can be mixed with some immediate impact draft picks, making us a contender not this year, but in 2011.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Blog Entries
    Hopefully we'll have more than just one first round pick this year, via compensation...

Then again, if we plan to make a big acquisition in the offseason (CC, Sheets, K-Rod), we won't even be able to keep our own pick...

I don't think we're getting CC, Sheets, or K-Rod. As much as I'd love to, we're not going to end up with one of them. Out of all of them, I'd rather have CC, he's already fully familiar with our division.
    _

Blog Entries
    I agree, prob not gonna happen. I still think Derek Lowe should be our #1 target this offseason. Followed by all bullpen guys like Will Ohman...

What's the most picks we could actually get?

Some people seem to know all about compensation for free agents. I am not one of those people. Could someone break down some possible scenarios?

Blog Entries
    well, Edgar is going to be a Type A Free Agent, so if we offer him arbitration (which we may or may not do), he can either accept it and come back next year, or he can refuse it and become a free agent.

So then, say he signs with the Dodgers, since Edgar's "Type A" we recieve the Dodgers 1st round pick.

I'm not sure who labels each impending FA as "Type A" or "Type B", there is a formula used to determine that, which not many people know. SOmebody on MLBTradeRumors.com seemed to have "just about cracked" the formula, and he said last week that both Edgar & Pudge would for sure be "Type A".

Kyle Farnsworth would likely be "Type B" which means you just get the supplemental sandwich pick...and therefore doesn't penalize the team that ends up signing him.

So it's possible, that we could have 3 picks before the start of the 2nd round.

You have to offer the free agent arbitration though to be a "Type" player, alot of times it's a risk, such as last year when Mark Loretta accepted it from the Astros...

Edgar could fall in that category...

I think Farnsworth doesn't want to be here, so offering him arbitration would be smart.

Teams who got two 1st round picks this year...

Twins (for losing Torii Hunter)
    Mets (for losing Tom Glavine)

And if Edgar accepts it, we're screwed. I don't want him back.
    _

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekyl
    And if Edgar accepts it, we're screwed. I don't want him back.

Neither do I, but a guy like Edgar could prefer a 3 year deal elsewhere instead of arbitration. The arbitration figure he would get wouldn't be that high, far less than the 12 mill he's making now anyway...

I say the young guys should start treating Edgar and Farns like crap so there's absolutely no way they come back.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfredo Ledezma
    Neither do I, but a guy like Edgar could prefer a 3 year deal elsewhere instead of arbitration. The arbitration figure he would get wouldn't be that high, far less than the 12 mill he's making now anyway...
    I'm pretty sure that by rule, unless a player changes teams, his team cannot re-sign him to a contract that pays him much less than he made the previous season. I think it's like 15% or so. Thus we'd have to offer him at least 10 mill or so in arbitration.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

+ Reply to Thread