+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What could we get for Stuck?

Blog Entries
    It feels kind of odd that I'm not the guy most down on Stuckey this time.

I think he's got a ton of potential, but he's still raw.

People (and the organization) got really carried away about him really quickly.

It might be backlash from feeling burned by the Darko.
    Find a new slant.

I guess I'm not down on stuckey but rather he's a lot better than I thought he was going to be (I think on our draft thread last year I made a comparison of stuckey to flip murray, or a tweener 1-2 guard that can't shoot or jump/finish at the rim).

Truth be told he's far better than flip murray in that he's much quicker, stronger and infinitely better at getting into the paint and is a much better ball handler/passer than I expected. I also like that he seems to want to try to work and improve. I still hold out hope for the young man.

My fav. attribute of his is his ft. %. If he keeps shooting 90% his PPS is going to be fine. It would be great if he had a 35% 3pt shot to go with it.

I think having the discussion about Stuckey is good, because even though we have several guys who have been All-Stars, Stuckey probably has more trade value than any of them. You see gambles all of the time. Ray Allen went to Boston, essentially, for a draft pick. The pick used to get Green was far more important than Delonte West or Wally Szerbiak. Al Jefferson is really good, but worth Kevin Garnett? Jefferson and, basically, Theo's contract, got one of the best players in the NBA.

Does Stuckey have the hype and potential at PG that Jefferson had at C? I'm not sure. But with Sheed (who can actually play, unlike Theo in that trade) as a big contract and Stuckey as potential - history has shown you can get an All-NBA player.

To me, it is absolutely worth it. I think Amare and a pick would be the best fit. The Suns would get a chucking PF for a year and have Lopez to be the next big there. Sheed and Shaq would be a damn dangerous combo for a year. Plus, they've certainly been wanting that young running PG to take over for Nash.

Meanwhile, we get an All-NBA guy like Garnett was. Put him with Chauncey, Rip, Tay, and Dyess and that's a team that gets you further in the playoffs. Now, we lost a guy who is likely a stud PG for several years - but you bring back Lindsey and give Bynum a contract. Offer full mid-level to Posey.

Billups/Bynum/Hunter
    Rip/Afflalo
    Prince/Posey/Sharpe
    Dyess/Amir
    Stoudamire/Max/Samb

I like that team a lot. Keep in mind last year Amare was 5th in points, 18th in boards, and 6th in blocks. Like I said, I think there are huge reasons for both teams to do this.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Did I mention that Stuckey is only 3 1/2 years younger than Amare?

Also, think about having two first rounders and Minnesota's pick next year. That's either a nice package to use to move up in the draft, or the ability to add depth finds at 3 positions in the 25-35 range.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

I am not a huge Stuckey fan but I do see enough potential to hang onto him. We have so many other pieces to trade that we should just hang onto him. We have so many nice young players that we need to focus on trading the older players who have not gotten the job done as of late. We should also be focusing on FA moreso now since the trade deadline is very far away.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Dealing a guy like Stuckey, whom the organization has propped up as a future star, is the kind of move that gets GMs canned.

Not saying Joe would get fired if Stuckey became a bonafide star, but it's a gamble, for sure.
    yea, it took about 3 years for darko to be safe to trade without a WTF fan outcry(if you don't count bdiddy) no? And that's him doing far less than Stuckey. I think it would be an off limits scenario for atleast another 1-2 years and that's with him showing decline or no improvement at all. with that said, this is a fun with trades forum, one part i hardly enter. So have at it people.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermy
    My fav. attribute of his is his ft. %. If he keeps shooting 90% his PPS is going to be fine. It would be great if he had a 35% 3pt shot to go with it.
    Well I wouldn't get my hopes up on that, i think we have atleast one season before he develops a legit full time 3 pointer. But he'll make some clutch ones here and there.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Kind of like Rondo?
    _

Judging by the sound of the thread, I'm the only one high on Stuckey. I guess it's typical to have reserved opinions on the potential of second year players. I just think that Stuckey's playoff performances were at times as impressive as Prince's coming-out party his rookie season.

The difference I see is in potential and fundamentals. Stuckey has a leadership mentality, a great drive to succeed, and a pretty high basketball IQ (though maybe not quite as high as Tay's), and as far as the clutch factor is concerned, Stuckey seems poised to swipe the Mr. Big Shot moniker from Billups -- go ahead and count how many big plays he made just in his rookie year, under minimal playing time. Fundamentally, his shot is leaps and bounds better than Prince's, his handles are great, and he defends well. If his shot continues to improve (which it will), I honestly don't see why he can't develop into an All-Star type player.

WE ARE ALL WITNESSES

+ Reply to Thread