+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything you need to know about Walter Sharpe (Picked at #32)

they also list his "off-field" issues. I wasn't aware he played football...

Pistons take White, trade him
    They send star Indiana forward to Sonics for two second-round picks, select project at No. 32.
    Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

AUBURN HILLS -- Pistons president Joe Dumars has always been a hunch player when it comes to late draft picks. On Thursday, he traded out of the first round to take a chance on an unheralded and at times troubled prospect who played a total of 18 collegiate games over the last three years.

The Pistons drafted D.J. White, a 6-9 power forward from Indiana, with the 29th pick and traded him to Seattle for two second-round picks -- Nos. 32 and 46. And with that pick he took Walter Sharpe, a 6-9 small forward from Alabama-Birmingham.

"There were two teams who were feverishly trying to move up (in the second round) to get him," Dumars said. "He's good; very good. He's a 6-9 kid with length who can handle the ball like a guard. He's a highly skilled guy who I would have taken at 29."

Advertisement

But, by moving out of the first round, Dumars won't be saddled with any guaranteed contracts and he picked up the two extra second round picks.

With the 46th pick, the Pistons took Trent Plaisted, a 6-11, 245 pound power forward from Brigham Young. He played four seasons at BYU, averaging 13.3 points and 6.8 rebounds. He earned first team All-Mountain West honors last year, averaging 15.6 points and 7.7 rebounds.

With the 59th pick, the Pistons took Deron Washington, a 6-6, 199-pound small forward from Virginia Tech.

Both have agreed to play in Europe next season.

"When none of the guys you want fell down, what you look for is talent that shouldn't be there that late in the draft," Dumars said. "This guy has real talent. And after finding out a lot about his background and all he's gone through and how he's persevered, it really says a lot about him."

Sharpe began his college career at Mississippi State. He was ruled academically ineligible there and was ultimately kicked out of school. He transferred to UAB, but before he even played a game there, he was arrested for disorderly conduct. He also took a stray bullet in the stomach in a separate incident.

He averaged 14 points and 6.8 rebounds last year at UAB, but was ruled academically ineligible and missed the second half of the season.

"We spent an entire week talking to more people in Alabama than I can even recall," Dumars said. "We did an extensive background check and we feel very comfortable about who he is and what he is."

Part of Sharpe's troubles stemmed from the fact that he suffered from narcolepsy -- a sleep disorder which caused him to fall suddenly asleep. That wasn't diagnosed until five months ago.

"Some of his early issues came because he didn't know what was going on, he didn't know what was happening to him," Dumars said. "People thought it was a just a kid being irresponsible. But once it was diagnosed and he started taking medication, he's had no trouble since."

All three draft picks will play on the Pistons summer league team in Las Vegas in July.

It is hard for me to imagine that someone who managed to flunk out of Miss. State and UAB will ever amount to much in the NBA. Nonetheless, Dumars has earned the benefit of doubt for non-lottery draft picks (unless hammond made those picks). I personally would have much preferred the more proven and less fucked up CDR (even if he has a neck tattoo.) I think CDR will be better than afflalo, but we'll see.

Also, did you all see that Memphis susposedly offered the no. 5 pick for stuckey, but dumars said no.
    "The moon is a light bulb breaking
    It'll go around with anyone
    But it won't come down for anyone"

Quote Originally Posted by xanadu
    It is hard for me to imagine that someone who managed to flunk out of Miss. State and UAB will ever amount to much in the NBA.

Does anybody ever read the entire article?

He had narcolepsy. Of course he had trouble making it to classes and meetings. Any human being would, untreated.

Also, did you all see that Memphis susposedly offered the no. 5 pick for stuckey, but dumars said no
    I would too. Stuckey for Kevin Love or Jerryd Bayliss is not an even trade in my book.

I agree about CDR, btw. I wanted him at #32 as well, but I also never even considered the kid we got.

Dumars, from what i heard on WDFN, did not like CDR at all. I guess he saw something he didn't like.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    LOL

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

Blog Entries
    This narcolepsy angle is going to be in play with us at WTF, don't you think?
    Last edited by Glenn; 06-27-2008 at 03:47 PM.
    Find a new slant.

Darron Sharpe for the win!!!!

Oh, it's Walter? Fuck.

just kidding. Like I said, when summer league comes, I have a feeling quite a few of us might be more on board with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    This narcalepsy angle is going to be in play with us at WTF, don't you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Ford
    I like this pick for Dumars. Sharpe is a total sleeper who really emerged in the past few weeks as a legit prospect. The Pistons love his athleticism, length and scoring ability. He's a project headed for the D-League, but the Pistons had great luck developing Amir Johnson there and will try it again with Sharpe.

I don't know if I buy this whole narcolepsy thing. I mean who just ups and falls asleep in the middle of ..........................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    This narcalepsy angle is going to be in play with us at WTF, don't you think?
    Imagine, Game 6 of the ECF... Sharpe drives to the hole... falls asleep. clonk.

+ Reply to Thread