+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything you need to know about Walter Sharpe (Picked at #32)

Dumars on Sharpe: 'He's good, man, he's good'

http://truebluepistons.blogspot.com/...-hes-good.html
    Joe D on Sharpe: 'He's good, man, he's good'

Joe Dumars was smiling like a guy who knows something about Walter Sharpe that nobody else knows. He watched “a ton of tape” on him and brought him in to work out, holding him over for a second day.

“He’s good, man, he’s good,” Dumars said. “Handles it, shoots it, long and smooth.”

Dumars said Sharpe will be a small forward in the NBA, though he was playing out of position at UAB as a power forward.

As for Sharpe's history of off-court trouble - arrested for disorderly conduct, academically inelgible, shot two years ago though it appears he was an innocent victim - Dumars said almost all of it traces to the narcolepsy only recently diagnosed. He said Sharpe is now on medication and that "he says it's changed his life." Dumars said he's talked to "more people in Alabama than I care to remember" and is perfectly convinced Sharpe has a firm grip on his life now.

Dumars was prepared to take him at 29 when Seattle called and wanted to trade up to get D.J. White. Dumars saw it as an opportunity to get the guy he wanted and pick up and extra pick in the deal. He also said he knew of two teams preparing to trade up to take Sharpe.

Trent Plaisted and Deron Washington, the two other second-rounders, were picked in part because they agreed to play in Europe next season. Dumars said the organization asked potential second-round picks if they would be willing to play overseas because he didn’t anticipate having a roster spot for them next season. Those who answered no, the Pistons scratched off their list. That’s one reason they didn’t take Bill Walker, though Dumars said “we liked him a lot.”

The reason they didn’t keep White, Dumars said, is they saw him as too close in playing style to Jason Maxiell – an undersized power forward who can play, but a duplication of Maxiell.

That’s pretty much it for tonight, guys. I’ll be back tomorrow with more on the draft.

Questions and comments on Keith's posts can be submitted via the Pistons Mailbag. Click here to submit your question.

Here's hoping that Dumars worked his voodoo magic again. Getting even one NBA player out of the second round wouldn't be bad at all. That bit about Sharpe playing SF is definitely the most interesting part of the article.

Well, this all makes sense a little more now. Heard a guy on the radio about 7:00 PM say we might take this Sharpe guy, can't wait to see him at the summer league.

Dumars said Sharpe will be a small forward in the NBA, though he was playing out of position at UAB as a power forward.

hmmmmmmmmmmm

yeah, a 6'10" 240-lb small forward. He must have some freakish quicks for his size.

So what are we talking, most likely D-League in his first year?

Quote Originally Posted by jturbo
    So what are we talking, most likely D-League in his first year?

Depending on who we trade, he could make the active roster. I think we'll see how he looks in summer league and preseason.

wow. either joe is really BSing us, or nobody but a few people knew about this sharpe kid.

well like i said, i'll wait to pass final judgment until later. my initial impressions are not good, especially about WHERE we took sharpe. and junior bradley we took. i liked some players better.

but joe's the man and none of us are running the show. let's hope he's worked some more magic.

Can we all agree to just call Trent "JB" from now on?
    _

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/players/draft/1622487

not sure how much this scouting report is worth, considering they knock the kid for already being 24 years old. then they list his DOB as july 18th, 1986. as far as i remember this is still 2008. so that only makes him 21 going 22. idiots.

+ Reply to Thread