+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jemele Hill = DONE (sort of)

Blog Entries

Jemele Hill = DONE (sort of)

SUSPENDED!

ESPN.com columnist Jemele Hill was suspended yesterday after sparking outrage by comparing rooting for the Boston Celtics [team stats] to Adolf Hitler and nuclear war.

“Jemele has been relieved of her writing and on-air responsibilities for a period of time to reflect on the impact of her words,” ESPN spokesman Paul Melvin said in an e-mailed statement yesterday.

Yesterday, Hill amplified on her earlier apology for writing, “Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It’s like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan.”

“In expressing my passion for the NBA and my hometown of Detroit I showed very poor judgment in the words I used,”

Hill’s suspension came as WBCN [website] radio hosts Fred Toucher and Rich Shertenlieb branded her a hypocrite and demanded she be fired.

In an April 2007 piece, Hill called for radio host Don Imus to get cashiered after his controversial 2007 “nappy-headed hos” slur.

“He is routinely offensive to people of color and women,” Hill wrote, “and if he needs to lose his job to understand that there is no place for that, so be it.”

Yesterday, the hosts of “Toucher & Rich” on WBCN-FM (104.1) said Hill should get the same treatment she had wanted for Imus.

“It has nothing to do with what she said. It has nothing to do with what Imus said. She wanted CBS to take action against Imus for what he said. That’s the bottom line,” Toucher said.
    http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/b...osition=recent

Yes, I know it was dated June 18th.
    Last edited by Timone; 06-23-2008 at 06:27 AM.

Blog Entries
    I say we kill her!

Blog Entries
    I bet Jemele Hill likes the WNBA

She's paid almost 5 times the max salary of a WNBA player.
    STEW BEEF!

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    I never liked her. Worst fill-in for Rome ever, plus she's just kind of stupid.

I see where you guys are coming from... but I still give her a free pass because she said it all in the name of hating boston.

I actually don't have a problem with what she wrote. People are way too sensitive.
    STEW BEEF!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don
    No big deal to me.
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    I actually don't have a problem with what she wrote. People are way too sensitive.

Thank you. Everyone needs to get over this shit. Did one person think she was serious? Would it have been OK if she said Attila the Hunn? He killed innocents, is someone in China gonna get all pissed off?

The only problem I have is she gave Imus shit. She gets what she has coming I suppose, but I wish she would use this as an opportunity to change her mental makeup a bit.

+ Reply to Thread