+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12
FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 User Mock rules and draft slots (time slots updated!)

Quote Originally Posted by jturbo
    He's restricted, you can sign and trade those guys. This trade is legitimate.
    You can't trade any player who is going to be a free agent, restricted or unrestricted, during the draft.

But we could do it after the draft then?

Two simple rules:

1. You can't trade a player who will be a free agent.
    2. All trades have to pass on the trade checkers, either ESPN or RealGM.

Blog Entries
    Shags,

The only problem with #2 is that the $ on those haven't been updated for 2008/09, or at least they weren't the last time I looked at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Shags,

The only problem with #2 is that the $ on those haven't been updated for 2008/09, or at least they weren't the last time I looked at them.
    During the draft though, you're still trading using 2007/08 salaries. That doesn't change until July 1st. So they would be accurate.

Blog Entries
    Good to know.

You guys could try and rework the trade quickly if you'd like.

I think the rights to Lopez for the two picks would work, since Lopez doesn't have a dollar value until he signs, right?

Another option would be to change the mix of players involved to include eligible/tradable guys instead.

I think we have to void it in the meantime.

Ok, if I'm reading this right I can withdraw my qualifying offer to Craig Smith and then S/T him.

"A team can withdraw its qualifying offer to a restricted free agent, in which case the player becomes unrestricted. This happened with Toronto and Keon Clark in 2002. The qualifying offer cannot be withdrawn after July 23 without the player's approval".

"A sign-and-trade deal can be made even with players who have been renounced, but cannot be made when the player is signed using the Mid-Level, Bi-Annual or Disabled Player exceptions. Sign-and-trade contracts must be for three years or longer, but only the first season of the contract must be guaranteed. The three year minimum (even though the last two seasons may be non-guaranteed) ensures that the new team will not acquire Bird rights to the player any sooner than if they had signed him directly, because if they want to give him a new contract using Bird rights then they would have to waive him first, which resets the Bird clock".

This info is from the NBA salary cap FAQ.

Are we maybe just talking about the timing of this trade with Smith's restricted free agency status. Do certain dates have to pass for this to be done appropriately?
    Last edited by jturbo; 06-20-2008 at 03:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jturbo
    Are we maybe just talking about the timing of this trade with Smith's restricted free agency status. Do certain dates have to pass for this to be done appropriately?
    I think that's it, http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#89

Also, the assumption that he'll agree to the sign and trade without even testing the free agent waters.
    Last edited by Glenn; 06-20-2008 at 03:42 PM.

Well he would get a hefty raise in our trade scenario, but I understand. So I'll go ahead and see if lospistones and I can hammer out something else. If not I'll just take my two picks back.

Blog Entries
    Cool, you have the whole weekend to work it out, but the sooner the better so we can all sleep at night.

+ Reply to Thread