+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Lions Minicamp Notes

2008 Lions Minicamp Notes

Sorry, no yet:

No rookies are in starting positions

by Tom Kowalski Tuesday May 20, 2008, 10:16 AM

Impressions from the Detroit Lions' first workout of the three-day mandatory minicamp on Tuesday:
    --- By the end of training camp, the Lions could have at least three rookies in the starting rotation but, as of the first day of minicamp, there are none. That's because head coach Rod Marinelli believes those positions should be earned, not awarded.
    And it's not just the rookies. At the end of last season, Travis Fisher had moved into the starting right cornerback position and he's still in it. Leigh Bodden, a three-year starter who came over from the Cleveland Browns in a trade, is expected to start over Fisher, but he'll have to earn that spot first.
    Brian Kelly, who was also acquired in the off-season, is starting at left cornerback because last year's starter there (Fernando Bryant) is no longer with the team.

The rookies who should become starters include right tackle Gosder Cherilus (first round), middle linebacker Jordon Dizon (second round) and running back Kevin Smith (third round).
    --- Marinelli said he's not upset with receiver Roy Williams for missing some of the team's off-season workouts. So far, Williams has been there for all of the Organized Team Activity days and the minicamp. Conditioning isn't an issue with Williams and, during the time he's working out in Allen Park, his focus and concentration have been sharp.
    --- Sean McHugh is working exclusively with fullbacks while Casey FitzSimmons is working solely with the tight ends. Both of those players had hybrid positions the last couple of years and jumped back and forth between the two spots.
    --- Jonathan Scott is working exclusively at the backup left tackle position, mostly because Cherilus is getting all the reps on the right side with the second unit. The Lions believe Scott can play both tackle positions.
    --- As of now, the backup center position is being manned by Corey Hulsey and the No. 3 center is Matt Butler.
    --- Five players are not participating at all. While they're all in attendance, they are not working out: receiver Shaun McDonald, linebacker Ernie Sims, defensive tackle Cory Redding, safety Daniel Bullocks and tight end Dan Campbell. None of those players took part in the OTA days two weeks ago. All five are expected to be ready for the start of training camp in mid July, although the Lions say they'll be more cautious with Campbell.
    --- Smith, the rookie from Central Florida, is currently wearing No. 34 and might have hopes on acquiring his college number (24). That's currently being worn by safety Greg Blue, who is a longshot to make the final roster. But Smith isn't going to get that number anyway because, if Blue is released, there's another Smith standing in line. Safety Dwight Smith has worn No. 24 in his career and his seniority would give him first crack at the number if it becomes available.
    --- With only three quarterbacks in camp, the Lions are taking some measures to protect the arm of veteran Jon Kitna. During an individual drill where receivers ran nothing but fade patterns, only Dan Orlovsky and Drew Stanton participated in throwing the ball.
    --- During two team drills on Tuesday, Dewayne White took the starting right DE position while Jared DeVries was No. 1 on the left side. Chuck Darby started at nose tackle (in place of the departed Shaun Rogers) and Langston Moore started at the under tackle (for the ailing Redding).
    --- Rookie third-round pick Cliff Avril, who worked a lot on the left side in college, was lining up for several plays at right defensive end. Also, Avril was getting some instruction as one of the hawks on the punt coverage team.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    16-0
    Find a new slant.

Lions are done.

Edit...actually sorry Chris and GD. This could derail this thread.
    Last edited by Tahoe; 05-20-2008 at 04:46 PM.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    Don't you have to be someplace significant before you can be DONE.?

Fool, can you make this interesting?
    Find a new slant.

No one can make the Lions interesting.

Unless its a volcano at the practice facility in the next 20 days. In which case, the Lions are DONE (literally) but volcanoes are not.
    _

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Don't you have to be someplace significant before you can be DONE.?
    I agree. To be DONE implies that they had once reached their destination and now that trip is over. The Lions are in a perpetual state of BEHIND.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    1957 Lions = DONE.

Blog Entries
    Volcanoes rock.
    Find a new slant.

Volcanoes also spew.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Um... ok.

BEHIND.

also: tl;nb;dr

+ Reply to Thread