+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 82
FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast

Thread: OST: Eastern Conference Semifinals: (2) Detroit vs (3) Orlando, DET WINS 4-1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Higherwarrior
    OK just re-read that. if you were talking about just this game, specifically then i can see the point. but in general terms he's a very good passer and has shown he can create easy shots for others IMO.

it's John Hollinger, his opinions have no value...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Stuckey did a great job of getting his own, maybe the best that I have seen him in that regard, but the kid is not a PG. I can't recall seeing him get someone else an open look, and that's not going to fly as a PG.

I think he'll eventually make Rip expendible once this PG experiment is over.

So here's where I wish we had Earl Watson.
    the thing is, stuckeys jumpshot is nowhere as good as rips, and rip has the most consistent jumper on our team. yea hes a shitty ballhandler, but replacing him will be hard. i know the leagues changing to the superstar type where u need to get to the line, ie kobe bron dwade, but fk that shit.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Stuckey did a great job of getting his own, maybe the best that I have seen him in that regard, but the kid is not a PG. I can't recall seeing him get someone else an open look, and that's not going to fly as a PG.

I think he'll eventually make Rip expendable once this PG experiment is over.

So here's where I wish we had a solid #2 PG, one that can stop dribble penetration and get others open looks. I don't think I need to mention any names.

Hopefully Billups is good to go for game #2, because I think we'll see a steady dose of Lindesy Hunter if he is not.
    Wow can't begin to agree with this. Actually I think you sell out on Stuck as a pg way too early. He actually sees the floor very well imo and his assists are that far off per minute to cbill's in his early career. Again its still a process of improved decision making to me, much like finishing more layups and knowing when to settle for mid range jumpers instead of going into shot blocking territory. I think he is Billups back up whether you are a fan of it or not. I also think that he's better off at PG where he's a tougher matchup to deal with.

Alot of what you say about his being better at getting his own shot could easily be said of billups early in his career(he didn't really break out as a facilitator until he got here). So I dont think you jump ship on him at pg, nor that its an experiment.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

I thought that was the most idiotic article ever, then I realized it was by Hollinger. His "being a cunt" mojo is actually becoming more than a joke. He's really getting worse and worse in his assessment of anything basketball.
    ^

Quote Originally Posted by Codename V
    Alot of what you say about his being better at getting his own shot could easily be said of billups early in his career(he didn't really break out as a facilitator until he got here). So I dont think you jump ship on him at pg, nor that its an experiment.
    So what you're saying is, bring back Larry Brown?
    _

No, I'm saying be patient. Stuckey can be help at PG while learning to be more well rounded just like Billups was. The whole "experiment wash" notion it more premature than a first stage fetus.
    ^

Blog Entries

On Billups and other stuff

Physical therapist Arnie Kander sounded a lot more optimistic about Chauncey Billups playing Saturday than Billups did. Which is understandable since Billups is the one who is in pain. But I have learned over these many, many years to err on the side of Kander. When he's pessimistic about an injury, he doesn't usually say anything. He's a straight-shooter and not one to give false hope publicly. If he's optimistic, then there is a good chance of him getting Billups ready.

The concern, though, is that Billups said he "felt something" when he got stretched out. He didn't say it felt like a pop, just that he felt something. Kander was adamant that it wasn't a pop. Hamstring's, especially those of a strong athlete, don't pop on a slow stretch. They pop when you are moving or being moved at a high velocity. Kander was fairly certain that what Billups was feeling was soreness, not a tear. Obviously, they will see how the leg responds to treatment in the next day or more before they make a final decision on his availability for Game 4.

Talking to Rasheed Wallace before practice Thursday, just casually, not an interview situation, but he brought up an interesting point. After Game 2, he made an odd comment to us about how he would be interested to see how the league handled the elbow that Dwight Howard threw in Game 2. We didn't know what he was talking about. None of us had seen it, but apparently, Howard nailed Arron Afflalo in the mouth with a full-on shiver sometime during the game. Wallace said the referees ignored it, but he was hoping the TV networks would jump on it. Didn't happen. I still haven't seen a replay of it. But to Sheed, it only fueled his point about the league taking care of its Golden Boys. Not a word was said against Howard. Not a word was said against LeBron James for throwing elbows and even bumping an official in the Washington series. But the league suspends Darius Songalia for a playoff game for bumping James.

Sheed does have a bit of a persecution complex. He still calls himself the league's public enemy No. 1. But on this particular issue, I think he's spot-on. I've been writing about it since 2006 when, in my judgment, Dwyane Wade was given special treatment against the Pistons and Mavericks. I don't know if it's done subconsciously or if David Stern is sending out memos about protecting the superstars (I highly doubt it), but certain players get preferential treatment. That's almost indisputable.
    Find a new slant.

How McCosky's third paragraph was before it was edited:

Talking to Rasheed Wallace before practice Thursday, just casually, not an interview situation, you know because we're freinds, and we talk all the time, mostly because I know a lot about basketball, more than you at least, but he brought up an interesting point. After Game 2, he made an odd comment to us about how he would be interested to see how the league handled the elbow that Dwight Howard threw in Game 2. We didn't know what he was talking about, except I did, but I played dumb so the rest of my peers wouldn't feel stupid, because I'm better than you. None of us had seen it, (except me, just to reiterate) but apparently, Howard nailed Arron Afflalo in the mouth with a full-on shiver sometime during the game. Wallace said the referees ignored it, but he was hoping the TV networks would jump on it. Didn't happen. I still haven't seen a replay of it on TV, but my memory is so good that I can remember anything anyone ever says or does in front of me which makes me an amazing analyst. But to Sheed, it only fueled his point about the league taking care of its Golden Boys. Not a word was said against Howard. Not a word was said against LeBron James for throwing elbows and even bumping an official in the Washington series. But the league suspends Darius Songalia for a playoff game for bumping James. Which obviously I wouldn't do if I were commish, and I should be, because let's be honest, I'm much smarter about basketball than you, and that's why I write for the News, and you don't, so don't question me. I also talk on the radio.
    I can't stand the way this guy writes or even speaks. It's like he has to prove that he's better every single time he writes.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

For all we know we may draft a full time PG by the time Billups is gone. There are some good defensive minded PG's in college to choose from now (that would be good Hunter replacements) that might develop in a couple years.

But I have faith in Stuckey learning to be a better passer. Billups isn't even that great of a passer himself. most of his assists are off curls for RIP, pick and pops to Sheed, etc. They aren't exactly the same assists that CP3, Nash and Parker are dishing out.

Billups is simply efficiant. He isn't breaking down teams and creating.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    For all we know we may draft a full time PG by the time Billups is gone. There are some good defensive minded PG's in college to choose from.

But I have faith in Stuckey learning to be a better passer. Billups isn't even that great of a passer himself. most of his assists are off curls for RIP, pick and pops to Sheed, etc. They aren't exactly the same assists that CP3, Nash and Parker are dishing out.

I agree, I think Stuckey has the talent (although it's raw) to be a complete PG. He's got the size to be dominant for the position and he's a solid defender, he makes his FT's, and the one other thing I like about Stuckey that Chauncey doesn't do, is Stuckey is much faster getting the ball up the floor.

When Chauncey get's the ball in bounds, the shot clock is at 18 before he even gets across half court, but when Stuckey takes it up, its at 21 or 20...

+ Reply to Thread