+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "Economic Stimulus" checks coming early

Blog Entries

"Economic Stimulus" checks coming early

Our funny money is on the way!

Stimulus payments start arriving Monday
    Treasury Department says it will deposit the first 800,000 payments four days earlier than expected in effort to boost economy.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The federal government, eager to boost the flagging economy, will start distributing special stimulus payments Monday - four days earlier than expected.

"Beginning Monday, the effects of the stimulus will begin to reach households," President Bush said Friday. "This money is going to help Americans offset the high prices we're seeing at the gas pump and at the grocery store."

The department announced the early arrival of the payments Thursday after saying last month that it would begin sending out the money on May 2.

As of next week, 800,000 tax filers daily will begin to have their checks directly deposited Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. No checks will be distributed Thursday, and 5 million payments will be made Friday.

The payments will go out ahead of schedule because of a new computer program that updates records daily - faster than an older program that updates weekly, according to Andrew DeSouza, a Treasury spokesman.

Overall, the Treasury will distribute more than $110 billion to 130 million taxpayers by July and hopes to get the first $50 billion out by the end of May, DeSouza said.

The checks are the centerpiece of an economic stimulus program signed into law by President Bush in February. The aim is to boost consumer spending and help mitigate problems caused by the slowing economy.

Checks are being distributed to people who file 2007 tax returns. Those who opt for direct deposit with the Internal Revenue Service will start getting payments before those who use the mail.

The program calls for rebates of up to $600 for single filers making less than $75,000. Couples making less than $150,000 would receive rebates of up to $1,200. In addition, parents would receive $300 rebates per child. Filers who do not owe income taxes but have at least $3,000 in income would get a $300 payment.

Payments to taxpayers slated to get paper checks will start to go out May 9 - one week earlier than originally planned.

The order in which tax filers will receive their payments will be based on the last two digits of their Social Security numbers.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    We get free money to pay for our more expensive food and gasoline!

Bush legacy -- RESTORED!!!

Bush says rebates going out Monday should help economy

50 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - President Bush said tax rebates will start going out Monday, earlier than previously announced, and should help Americans cope with rising gasoline and food prices, as well as aid a slumping economy.

"Starting Monday, the effects of the stimulus will begin to reach millions of households across our country," Bush said Friday in remarks on the South Lawn of the White House.

The Internal Revenue Service had been saying direct deposits wouldn't start until next Friday. Bush said paper checks would begin going out on May 9, a week earlier than previously announced.

"The money is going to help Americans offset the high prices we're seeing at the gas pump, the grocery store, and also give our economy a boost to help us pull out of this economic slowdown," Bush said.

Bush's emphasis on fuel and food prices differed from other comments he's made since signing the economic stimulus legislation, intended to aid the economy by boosting overall consumer spending — which accounts for roughly two-thirds of the nation's economic activity.

Bush suggested the rebates could trigger a spending spree. "When the money reaches the American people, we expect they will use it to boost consumer spending," he said last month.

By saying expressly that people could use these one-time checks to pay for such necessities as food and gas, Bush underscored the deepening challenges facing the economy.

As he had earlier in the week, Bush used the word "slowdown" to describe the state of the economy. He has denied that the nation is in a recession, although many economists say it is.

"It's obvious our economy is in a slowdown. But, fortunately, we recognized the signs early and took action," Bush said.

The rebates — up to $600 for an individual, $1,200 for a couple and an additional $300 for each dependent child — are the centerpiece of the government's $168 billion stimulus package, enacted in February. Roughly 130 million households are expected to get them.

Bush made the comments before boarding his helicopter at the start of a day trip to Connecticut.

People must file a tax return for their 2007 income to be eligible for a rebate check.

The IRS now says all checks for those who filed tax returns on time are scheduled to be deposited or mailed by July 11.

The economy — burdened by the collapse of home prices, a financial and credit crisis, and now rising energy and food prices — grew at an anemic 0.6 percent in the final three months of last year and is believed to have gotten even weaker in the first three months of this year.

The government will report on the first quarter's performance next week.

With the economy faltering, the nation's unemployment rate has climbed to 5.1 percent, the highest since September 2005, when it suffered from the devastating blows of the Gulf Coast hurricanes. Job losses in the first three months of this year neared the quarter-million mark.

Foreclosures have surged to record highs and financial companies have taken multibillion losses on mortgage investments that soured. The situation has sent a tremor through Wall Street and has sent the administration, Congress and presidential contenders looking for ways to provide relief.
    Find a new slant.

I wish I was getting a rebate.
    _

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekyl
    I wish I was getting a rebate.
    I don't wish I was getting a rebate.

I wish peeps knew what to blame the Prez for.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    I blame him for being surprised when he was told (about a month ago) that gas was nearing $4/gal.

His response was something like, "Really? I hadn't heard that."

I'm sure it's probably on YouTube.

edit: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0...t_n_88907.html
    Find a new slant.

It sure is nice of the government to give back some of the money they stole from us. While I'm happy to get the check, I'm sure far too many people see this as a huge act of kindness from Bush when they should be pissed that we get taxed so high while the rich get richer.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Bush cuts taxes and you guys still get red ass?

Repeat after me...BUSH IS MY FRIEND! BUSH IS MY FRIEND!
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    It just seems like a phony way out of a recession ("slowdown", LMAO) to me.

The economy is in the shitter?

Hell, why not print up some money and send it out and make everyone feel better?

Meanwhile, the national debt grows and grows.
    Find a new slant.

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    I'm signing over my stimulus check to the DNC.

+ Reply to Thread