+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 40
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 - Lions notes

Wow, I didn't know that emoticon existed....
    _

Detroit Lions agree to two-year deal with cornerback Keith Smith

by Philip Zaroo | MLive.com Thursday February 28, 2008, 4:28 PM

The Lions added another Smith to their secondary. A day after signing former Tampa Bay and Minnesota safety Dwight Smith to a two-year deal, Detroit came to an agreement for cornerback Keith Smith to return to the team, according to Mike O'Hara, of The Detroit News. Terms are not confirmed, but are believed to be for two years and $5 million.
    The Detroit News, February 28: "Keith is excited to re-sign with Detroit," McCartney said. "He's excited to stay with the team that drafted him and looks forward to the next two years." ... "I think Keith is close to becoming a starter in this league," McCartney said. "This protects both sides. Detroit has a chance to keep developing him."
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

The Lions made a 3.5 mil offer to another Bucs player, their safety. WTF are we going to do with all these safeties? I hope Tampa matches.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Cut them during training camp
    _

Probably. I did a fantasy draft on my Madden game and I noticed most of our draft picks in the FA pool because nobody wanted them. Orlovsky, Francis, Brashir...you name it most of our players were there.

Blog Entries
    2008 Defense

DE- Dewayne White
    DT- Cory Redding
    DT- Chuck Darby
    DE- Ikaika Alama-Francis
    OLB- Ernie Sims
    MLB- Paris Lenon (ugh)
    OLB- *Draft Pick* or Alex Lewis
    CB- Leigh Bodden
    CB- Brian Kelly (if he signs); if not Travis Fisher
    SS- Daniel Bullocks or Dwight Smith
    FS- Gerald Alexander

^^^That has 11-5/12-4 written all over it^^^

Also, I'm assuming Kenoy Kennedy will be cut sometime before or during training camp, no way he's on the squad this year...

Blog Entries
    Also, I read a rumor that the Eagles have offered Lito Sheppard, 2nd round pick, 4th round pick, 6th round pick to the Lions for Roy Williams...

Now, I'm no GM, but I think it would be down right criminal if MM didn't accept that deal...if it's really on the table of course...

that deal would give us 11 total picks, and 7 of which are in the first 4 rounds...

plus, a Pro Bowl caliber corner to pair up with Bodden...

Yeah, I can certainly understand wanting to keep Roy, but his heart is in Texas and I see us having to franchise him to keep him. Might as well get something for him now. You could draft another WR with that 2nd round or 4th round pick that could be productive. Not Roy, but productive. In fact, a current mock has the Eagles using that 2nd round pick for Lavelle Hawkins out of Cal. Andre Caldwell from Florida is likely available there as well. But there will be guys like Arrington quite possibly available even with that 6th round pick - based on some mocks. That way we could use the 2nd and 4th to help with the other picks in building the defense and the lines.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Blog Entries
    The last 4 games of last season when Roy was out, more specifically the Dallas game, proved that we can be competitive w/o Roy Williams, plus if we're planning on not throwing the ball as much as last year, whats the point on having 2 big time receivers???

having Clavin,Furrey, McDonald as a WR core is more than enough to get by, plus whats the point on keeping Roy if he's going to leave after next year anyway??? No way will we franchise him since the WR price is outrageous, trade him now and get 85 cents on the dollar, or wait til' next offseason and get nothing...

shouldn't even be a question, move him...

I'd probably make that move, but I'd try to con them into a 2nd and 3rd instead of 2nd, 4th and 6th if at all possible. A healthy Calvin Johnson will replace what we're losing with Roy. You have to remember that he wasn't healthy at all last year so having him at 100% will make a huge difference. Also, finally doing something to shore up our secondary will be huge.
    _

+ Reply to Thread