+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 40
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 - Lions notes

ALLEN PARK -- In discussing the future of defensive tackle Shaun Rogers, Detroit Lions coach Rod Marinelli said Tuesday there are only two options: Rogers will either be traded or he'll be reporting to the team's training camp in July.

When asked if there was any chance Rogers would be given his outright release during the off-season, Marinelli said "No."
    There has been a lot of recent speculation -- including a report on ESPN2 last week -- that Rogers, who did not play well during Detroit's six-game losing streak, could get cut. Those rumors were fueled by the fact the Lions owe Rogers a $1 million roster bonus on March 2 and might try to dump him before paying the bonus.
    Marinelli said the Lions will not cut Rogers but did not deny the possibility that the Lions would entertain a trade offer for him - or for veteran receiver Roy Williams.
    "I think you have to listen in this league," Marinelli said. "Anytime you can make your team better, whoever it is - and it's not just those two guys - you've got to listen. If you've got a chance to improve your team, everybody listens. That's true with every team in the league."
    The Lions have several vacancies on defense, including defensive end, linebacker and at least two cornerbacks. If the Lions do swing a deal for Rogers, they would prefer one or two veteran defensive players in return (including the possibility of a tackle to fill Rogers' void).
    The Lions would also consider a trade for draft picks, depending on how high they are, but Marinelli made it clear that Detroit would not deal Rogers unless they received excellent value.
    If the Lions can't get adequate compensation, Marinelli said Rogers will be playing his eighth NFL season as a Detroit Lion.
    "That door will always stay open," Marinelli said. "This is the best year he's had, he practiced all year and didn't miss any games."
    Rogers had a career-high seven sacks this season and was a dominant force as the Lions rolled to a 6-2 record at the halfway point. Beginning with the 31-21 loss to the Arizona Cardinals, though, Rogers' production plummeted. In Detroit's six-game losing streak, Rogers had just 17 tackles (only eight solo tackles), no sacks, no forced fumbles and no fumble recoveries.
    While Rogers didn't participate in training camp because of knee problems, he missed almost no practice time and he played in all 16 games for the first time since 2004.
    Whether Rogers stays or goes, Marinelli continues to maintain that character and a passion for playing football is at the top of his agenda in formulating a roster. Talking about his goal of putting together a playoff-caliber team, Marinelli said: "The bottom line, at the end of the day, is that you've got to have guys doing it your way.
    "Even if you don't play well, you've got to play hard. If you don't, you become what you tolerate. If you tolerate poor practice habits, if you tolerate not finishing, if you tolerate lack of execution, that's what you become."
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Answering e-mails: DL success could hinge on this guy

by Tom Kowalski Wednesday January 30, 2008, 10:21 AM

Scrimage: What's the out look on "Five-O" is he going to be cut or is he still one of Rod's projects?
    Tom Kowalski: Neither. Not only will former second-round draft pick Ikaika Alama-Francis not be cut, but the Lions are going to be counting on him so much this season that he can no longer be a "project'' either. The Lions have a big need at left defensive end -- Dewayne White is expected to play the right side this season -- but it looks like they won't be able to fill that spot in the draft or free agency. At No. 15 in the first round, the Lions aren't going to find any impact defensive ends and it's foolish to believe a lower-round pick will blossom so quickly. In free agency, the Lions aren't expected to make a big splash for any position so guys like Jared Allen and Justin Smith aren't on the radar. As it stands now, Detroit will have to fill the Kalimba Edwards vacancy with Alama-Francis and Jared DeVries. Not exactly what fans wanted to hear, but that's the reality of the situation. Steve: Is it me, especially given (offensive coordinator Jim) Colletto's previous experience in Baltimore with Brian Billick, or does it sound like the "balanced" offense will ultimately be a return to a "Mooch"-like "west coast" brand of offense?
    Did I miss something, where is Edwards?
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Chained up next to bukdow in diddy's basement.

Reading the Rogers article, it throws out both Rogers AND Roy Williams as possible trade bait.
    I like a motivated Rogers and I like Roy, but the team sucks WITH them, how could it possibly be worse without them?
    I would trade them and blow this whole thing up. Only problem is, we have Millen. I really wish a new GM were in place to blow things up and make the difficult decisions.
    Why can't we rape people like New England does?
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    Did I miss something, where is Edwards?
    He was missing all season, no point in assuming he'll appear next year.
    _

Yeah, but his article basically said he was already gone (as if being traded or cut). I couldn't find any article on any site pointing to his release or trade. We should have let him go to the browns before but we all know Millen is an idiot.

You know, the curse of Bobby Layne ends this year. So I'm pretty sure we can put anybody on the field that we want and we'll win the Superbowl.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by MoTown; 01-31-2008 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown
    You know, the curse of Bobby Lane ends this year.
    We still have the curse of Bobby Ross, though.
    Find a new slant.

We need to shake the curs of Millen first and foremost.

And they may just be assuming Edwards is going to be completely unproductive this season.
    _

This says he's gone to me (unless they have illusions of OLB play from him):

As it stands now, Detroit will have to fill the Kalimba Edwards vacancy with Alama-Francis and Jared DeVries.
    That doesn't imply that he's still here when he's not even mentioned as a backup.

He'd probably fit as a 3-4 OLB somewhere. Just not here.
    _

+ Reply to Thread