+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 40
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 - Lions notes

Blog Entries
    lol

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../80107067/1049

Detroit Lions wide receiver Roy Williams was on WDFN AM Monday.

Below is the conclusion of the interview:

On needing a new quarterback:

“We have J.T. and we have Drew, and I think they’re really sold on Drew being the backup and one day being the starter here. But if one of those quarterbacks fall into our lap, like the Ryan kid, or if we happen to make a trade to get up, I think they might do that. Kitna is getting to be 97 years old, so we do need that solid backup.”
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    What does it matter if, according to people here, he won't be back next season?

I hope he's back. Someone's got to be our number 1 while Calvin learns to play at the pro level (a.k.a. heals up some so he can take over). I think those two would be a great WR tandem, now we just need to build up our offensive line so the QB, whoever it is, can have the time to throw them the ball.
    _

Blog Entries
    DeWayne White is on ESPN News right now and he says that part of the reason that he respects Rod Marinelli is because he taught him that he should read books to his kids.
    Find a new slant.

Not sure how to feel about that.

#1 - what father doesn't naturally know he should read books to his kids?

#2 - um, it's a nice thing and all, but how about teaching DB's not to get beat instead?
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Read their playbooks to their kids? Learn what the hell they're supposed to be doing out there by reading "Coverage for Dummies" to their kids?
    _

Reports: Lions decide to part ways with Rogers
    ESPN.com news services

Updated: January 23, 2008, 2:59 PM ET

The Detroit Lions have decided to part ways with defensive tackle Shaun Rogers, according to reports in Detroit.

The Lions have decided to trade or release Rogers, according to reports. Coach Rod Marinelli and team spokesman Bill Keenist have both said they expect all players under contract to return.
    Rogers, who has served one four-game suspension for taking a banned dietary supplement and could face an eight-game suspension if he tests positive again, has three years left on his contract.
    In addition, Rogers, who was coming off knee and shoulder surgeries last offseason, was listed at 340 pounds but weighed at least 360.
    Rogers, who has been to two Pro Bowls, had a good start to the season and was named NFC defensive player of the week after returning a 66-yard interception for a touchdown and recording 2½ sacks in the Lions' 44-7 victory over the Denver Broncos in Week 9. But in the six-game losing streak that followed, he disappeared.
    On Jan. 17, Marinelli said that he expects every player under contract to report for the Lions' offseason conditioning program, including Rogers, but he realized that Rogers' weight would be an issue.
    "He was a good player for us for nine games," Marinelli said at the time. "But it's the endurance all the way through the season, that's what I'm looking for."
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Kowalski: Rogers isn't going anywhere -- yet

by Tom Kowalski Wednesday January 23, 2008, 2:43 PM

Despite a television report that the Detroit Lions have already decided to part ways with defensive tackle Shaun Rogers -- either by cutting him or trading him -- a source close to the team said the club has yet to make any decision on Rogers' future in Detroit.
    It's clear that head coach Rod Marinelli was extremely upset with Rogers' production and intensity during the team's playoff drive last season and every indication was that Marinelli didn't want Rogers to return in 2008. However, there are a couple of things to keep in mind about Rogers' situation:

--- Marinelli becomes a different person once the football season ends. During the season, Marinelli's entire focus is on the games and he's very emotional and passionate. Once the season is over, though, Marinelli becomes more clinical in assessing the players and the emotion is taken out of the evaluations.
    --- Even if Marinelli is still convinced that Rogers must go, Marinelli doesn't make the final personnel decisions -- that job belongs to president Matt Millen and Millen isn't ready to dump Rogers. Not yet anyway. As frustrating as Rogers can be with his weight problem and low-intensity attitude, he's still a tremendous talent who demands constant double-teams when he's on the field. And he led the team with seven sacks -- a career high.
    --- The Lions have a slew of needs to fill on defense -- at least one defensive end, a middle linebacker and two cornerbacks -- and the team doesn't want to create another vacancy if they can avoid it.
    --- Three months ago, it appeared Damien Woody would never suit up for the Lions again, either. Woody had angered the coaching staff and lost his job and they were ready to move on without him. There wasn't much in Woody's recent history to indicate that he would bounce back, but that's exactly what he did. Now the Lions are hoping to re-sign him to the club.
    --- If the Lions do come to the conclusion that Rogers must be cut or traded, they aren't going to do anything until they have to. They'll wait as long as possible to work some kind of a trade either involving a veteran player or a draft pick. The Lions don't want to give him up for nothing and that's why releasing him would be a last resort. The Lions owe Rogers a $1 million bonus on March 2 so it's possible a final decision could come before that time. It's also possible the Lions will pay the bonus and keep Rogers and see how he responds in training camp -- one more last chance -- before deciding what to do.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    What a fucking joke. Getting rid of one the most talented defensive tackles in the NFL for nothing. I guess Matt Millen is a big fan of the Law of Diminishing Returns.

Good God, I don't care if Shaun Rogers half-asses it, Shaun Rogers playing at 75% motivation is better than Shaun Cody or Langston Moore playing at 100%. So we get rid of Rogers, and only hope that the guy we bring in here to replace him, is as good as him.

What an organization folks...

That's the same guy you're hoping is smart enough to draft Talib.
    _

+ Reply to Thread