+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bioshock

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!

Bioshock

Anyone played Bioshock yet? This game is pretty f'ed up, and it has a pretty twisted story. I kind of like it though, because it's a shooter where you can upgrade yourself, and the story has kind of a philosophical edge to it -

I'll try to give a spoiler-free intro:

The story takes place in 1960. A billionaire industrialist named Andrew Ryan has built his dream city, starting what seems like in the 1930s, and it's sitting at the bottom of the ocean. The whole place is just stacked to the gills with 1930's art-deco design, advertisements, and technology.

Andrew Ryan's agenda was to make a perfect sort of Objectivist world, a place where Ayn Rand would have died of joy. It's a place where rich people are allowed to do whatever they want, and no one tells them that they have to be morally responsible. As a way to encourage the whole "Atlas Shrugged" mythos, they get into genetic modification and start mass marketing it to all the city's inhabitants. But things go terribly wrong when all the gene splicing makes people go a bit crazy, and by 1960 the utopian dream has taken a great big dump.

That's where you come in. This game is incredibly stylish, pretty, and surprisingly full of difficult moral decisions. You can shoot fire from your hands, or bullets from a Thompson sub-machine gun. There are some wild plot twists, and the game never fails to explore a fun idea. Every time you find yourself thinking, "wouldn't it be fun to...?" the game will probably have you do it at some point.

I have a few friends that owns it and I'm moving into a place with them in June, so I may just have to borrow it and lay it through. How much of it is puzzle and how much is just fun-shooter style stuff?
    _

Played it. Loved it. All of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekyl
    I have a few friends that owns it and I'm moving into a place with them in June, so I may just have to borrow it and lay it through. How much of it is puzzle and how much is just fun-shooter style stuff?
    Well, it's all puzzle, in a way, even the shooting stuff. You have to learn about all your enemies and figure out which of the weapons you currently have will hurt them the most, and sometimes you find yourself in situations when it's best to either not bother fighting them or find some other way to deal with them.

You always have a "goal" and are constantly being reminded of what qualifies as success when you're working on that goal. This is a game crafted for an intense single-player experience. It's not open-ended like Oblivion was, it's more like Half-Life 2.

HURRY MISTER BUBBLES! WE'RE GONNA GO SING WITH THE ANGELS!

Blog Entries
    I love it too, I just started playing it in January, then I played Oblivion, but I've since started playing BioShock again and it is by far the best 360 game I've ever played...

The plot is creepy, the game gives you chills, and theres so much shit to do.

They are making a 2nd one btw.

I heard about the sequel, but I guess the original team who made it wasn't excited by the idea of doing it. We'll see how it turns out.

P.S. I guess you get two different endings, depending on how you play the game. I was nice to the Little Sisters so I got the happy one. Shit had me choked up.

Yeah I got the happy one as well. I had to start over to see what the bad ending was like.

I like the happy one better.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Blog Entries
    Ok, so I just finished BioShock this past weekend (took me nearly a year to finish that along w/ Oblivion)...My only question is what the hell happened at the end? Were those hook carrier things the little girls? And what's up with the nuke? I didn't understand any of it.

Regardless, I can't wait for the 2nd one to come out. Sea of Dreams I think is what it's called...

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfredo Ledezma
    Ok, so I just finished BioShock this past weekend (took me nearly a year to finish that along w/ Oblivion)...My only question is what the hell happened at the end? Were those hook carrier things the little girls? And what's up with the nuke? I didn't understand any of it.

Regardless, I can't wait for the 2nd one to come out. Sea of Dreams I think is what it's called...
    Depends on which way you played it. I saved all of the Little Sisters instead of harvesting them. My ending was way different. PM me if you want to know what it was because I don't know how to do that hidden white spoiler writing.

"The Forcier is strong with this one." - Boda.

+ Reply to Thread