+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Advice Future Job

Need Advice Future Job

I am currently working at a pizza place in my home town delivering pizza 3 days a week and managing two days. I make 8 dollars an hour managing and approximately 90 dollars per shift delivering. I am almost done with my accounting degree at walsh college, I have around 8 classes left which are all difficult. Oh yeah and my GPA is around a 2.7.

One of my dad's friends is opening a chain of pizza restaurants in atlanta, Georgia and wants me to manage the first store down there. They offered me 40,000 dollars per year to start plus taking care of my apartment for the first 6 months and they will buy me furniture and let me pay them back at my convienience. They also said they would bump me up to 50,000 after one year and give me stock in the company. The guy who is financing this is beyond loaded and owns another company.

I am very comfortable were I live now which is with my parents, I pay no rent and my parents also take care of my cell phone bill and my car insurance so I would be picking up these cost if I left. I am not sure if I can even get hired with my accounting degree, I have had several internship interviews and have yet to be hired.

What do I do?

You, my friend, are in a tough situation.
    _

no brainer. this is what they call a 'hookup'. take it.

i dont know if you think 40k is a ton, but most peoples first real job pays 30.

what you'll find is that experience is everything in the real world. gpa really isnt that important once you have that first job. afterwards, a degree becomes more of a do/dont type deal, and future employers will be much more worried about experience.

leaving home might be a pro or con, depending on you, but you wont miss trying to find a job in the detroit area. atleast with your degree and job you can move back to detroit pretty much whenever you want.

i moved to chicago and love it, but there is a downside, and unfortunately i am in an industry that really doesnt exist in detroit. im mid 20's, if it were up to me i would probably move back to detroit in 2 years and once i had found the right job. but im probably stuck in chicago a bit longer than that.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Once you declare a major, the courses you need to complete your degree are usually static for a good number of years. Find out how long could be away from Walsh, come back and realistically schedule and finish your classes, and get the degree you're lined up to get.

What does your dad think? If you do take this job, will he be pissed at your friend for messing up your education? If you don't take this job, will there be some growing resentment for you being in the house, especially if you finish up and don't find a job right away?

Get everything in writing... and go.

Don't let comfort become complacency.

Hotlanta is the shit.... if you're into Nubian princesses.

oh, i didnt catch that you would be leaving classes on the table...

makes it less cut / dry, but look into schools in the atlanta area that have a night school program that would let you transfer your credits.

working full time and taking night classes isnt easy, but your grades would probably imrove because of it. if you have 8 classes left, you still have an opportunity to get that gpa up above a 3.0. or, you may atleast beable to get the accounting classes above a 3.0. having that on your resumee definitly wouldnt hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyMcLain
    Get everything in writing... and go.

Don't let comfort become complacency.

Hotlanta is the shit.... if you're into Nubian princesses.
    im not 100% sure that writing stuff is gonna make a difference. i doubt the dude is offering him a contract with a signing bonus and termination clauses. if you get it in writing, it might feel better, but i dont think it would mean a whole lot.

really, this sounds like a decent opportunity to me. i would risk it. especially if they are taking care of the living arrangements, the only thing you seem to be risking is your time.

like i said, if it were me, i would jump at this. like denny said, dont let comfort decide this. living at home, having bills paid, and friends around is nice, but you dont want to be 25 and living in your mom's basement.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b-diddy
    oh, i didnt catch that you would be leaving classes on the table...
    I assumed that based on the # of classes remaining. It seemed like about a year of classes, and I doubted there'd be a big dilemma about a decision that was that far down the road.

makes it less cut / dry, but look into schools in the atlanta area that have a night school program that would let you transfer your credits.
    It's a pizza joint. The busiest hours are in the evenings.

working full time and taking night classes isnt easy, but your grades would probably imrove because of it. if you have 8 classes left, you still have an opportunity to get that gpa up above a 3.0. or, you may atleast beable to get the accounting classes above a 3.0. having that on your resumee definitly wouldnt hurt.
    For an accountant, GPA is less important than CPA.

+ Reply to Thread