+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Aks Uncle Mxy a Political Question (Enlightenment Inside)

BTW, China only had 4 less golds than us at the last Summer Games.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Mxy
    It's not really a political question, but the answer should be obvious to anyone who's watched Olympic gymnastics.
    Mxy, I meant this more as regulating the number of children you're allowed to have, saying that's what the Chinese are best at.
    _

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekyl
    Mxy, I meant this more as regulating the number of children you're allowed to have, saying that's what the Chinese are best at.
    Ahhh. For some reason, thinking "Olympics" and "child regulation" gave me a vision of pre-pubescent girls fucking up their menstrual cycles to do quadruple loop-d'loos in so-called "women's" gymnastics.

As for China's birth policies, there's lots of pros and cons. It's clear we wouldn't even be talking about China as a great economic power if not for their whacking down their replacement rate during the 70s.

Is it possible to reform 'conservatism' or 'liberalism'?

You know, when a particular party seems to languishing, some seem to think reforming the core message is the way to go.

I don't see the core conservative message in Republicans much at all anymore, but can you 'update' these ideals(not sure ideals is the correct way to put it).
    Players meeting my ASS!

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe
    Is it possible to reform 'conservatism' or 'liberalism'?

You know, when a particular party seems to languishing, some seem to think reforming the core message is the way to go.

I don't see the core conservative message in Republicans much at all anymore, but can you 'update' these ideals(not sure ideals is the correct way to put it).
    It's certainly been done before. The classical flavors of conservatism were on their last leg -- the borrow-and-spend 80s was pretty much the death blow. Then, neoconservatism came into prominence. I'm expecting a neoliberal eventually... perhaps we already have that in Obama, but too soon to tell.

I think it's hard to sell true conservatism to folks who, when given a lot of personal credit, will overextend and fuck themselves and the world around them. I think it's hard to sell true liberalism to a culture whose progressive institutions will willingly sacrifice their young for themselves. Television has altered consciousness, and the Internet is starting to do the same. People don't read. Attention spans are lower. None of the "old guard" ideals play particularly well with newer forms of communication', and I keep thinking of Marshall McLuhan and 'the media is the message'.

Blog Entries
    Mxy,

Are you aware of any polls that include new registered voters or do all of them only include those that have voted in previous elections?
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    I'm a new registered voter, how do I get involved in a poll?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfredo Ledezma
    I'm a new registered voter, how do I get involved in a poll?
    Do you have a landline with a listed number?

Beyond that, if you're talking in terms of contributing feedback to a legitimate political pollster, you'll want to check out Zogby Interactive:

http://interactive.zogby.com/index.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Mxy,

Are you aware of any polls that include new registered voters or do all of them only include those that have voted in previous elections?
    There are professional pollsters and other services that gather/purchase voter registration information from the counties in as much of a real-time manner as is available. I suspect that newly-registered never-voted folks weigh low on the "likely voter" scale. There are polls that ask "are you a registered voter", as well.

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    Conservatism or liberalism is a set of ideals with a name. Any of those ideals can be swapped out if need be, I think.

For instance: "conservatism" as an ideology that's having a bit of a rough time lately because three of the most cherished ideals of conservatism are conflicting with one another:

1) Business should be far more important to the economy of the country than government should.
    2) Products and companies should succeed or fail on their own in the marketplace with no intervention from the government.
    3) America America fuck yeah #1.
    Basically, business is our king and lord, and should be the prime mover of our lives. But also, if businesses fail, we should let them fail. Well OK, but if one of those really important businesses fails, what do we do then? Just let our economy go in the shitter as the marketplace determines? We can't! And why? Because America America fuck yeah #1!

+ Reply to Thread