+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Aks Uncle Mxy a Political Question (Enlightenment Inside)

Aks Uncle Mxy a Political Question (Enlightenment Inside)

To: Uncle Mxy, WTF Political Analyst

Mxy.

How in the world can Bush and the Republicans foul up the past eight years in nearly every arena of policymaking, yet many polls show McCain well ahead of both Obama and Clinton? Yes, they're bashing each other right now, but shouldn't recent history be just as unkind to any Republican nominee?

Blog Entries
    This is actually a really good idea for a thread. I hope Mxy is game.

I've learned a lot from his posts (not just in the politics forum).

Nice work, Denny. The title is a nice touch, too.
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    This is actually a really good idea for a thread. I hope Mxy is game.

I've learned a lot from his posts (not just in the politics forum).

Nice work, Denny. The title is a nice touch, too.
    Hoping Mola doesn't PM me. I'll be watching.

are there more democrats than republicans on this website?

Quote Originally Posted by gusman

The internet as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by gusman
    10% Democrat, 10% republican, 80% who wear their "independence" on their sleeve then consistently vote the same party anyway.

Actually the country is divided into rich republicans, democrats and middle class conservatives that are duped into thinking the republicans care about them.

I am only half kidding. I've never understood why middle class americans can consistantly overlook the rich republicans screwing them over. Either they buy into the fear mongering and feel their party is actually keeping them safer, or they actually think their party will throw them a bone (like the small tax refund people are getting).

Most repubs I know are really just anti liberal. They don't want to help out their fellow americans. They like the idea of helping, but only when they want to. They feel like they shouldn't have to pay for people who can't earn a living like they should. While I agree from an income standpoint, I think many basic things should be universal (like healthcare, school, etc).

What people don't realize is that many things are already universal, many things they hold dear. Fire, Police, Post Office, etc. If things like that were not universal, only the rich would get protection in a fire or robbery. It would cost you 3 bucks to send a letter across the country and 2 cents to send it within town. That 41 cents is an average price of mailing a letter in america. There are a lot of universal things we don't think about on a day to day basis.

anyway, this is mxy's thread, let him explain it better.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

I heard an interesting analogy on conservatives vs liberals. It's a race analogy. We'll call the finish line the promise land (where your family makes enough and basically has whatever it is they want in life).

Liberals want the race to the promise land to start at the same point on a level playing field. If you don't have what it takes to start the race like shoes or shorts (an education and healthcare), then we'll all chip in a little to at least get you to the starting line together. If you don't finish the race, at least you had a fair chance.

Conservatives want to start the race with whatever advantages they have, fair or not. If you can't keep up, you're not trying hard enough to overcome your disadvantages.

Neither way is wrong, it's just a point of view. In America we have the right to that point of view.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermy
    The internet as a whole.
    The media too.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyMcLain
    Mxy.

How in the world can Bush and the Republicans foul up the past eight years in nearly every arena of policymaking, yet many polls show McCain well ahead of both Obama and Clinton? Yes, they're bashing each other right now, but shouldn't recent history be just as unkind to any Republican nominee?
    I already answered most of this. At this stage of the campaign, it's pretty typical fro McCain to have a bump. McCain just won and doesn't get beaten up on a daily basis, so he comes off positively relative to two candidates who are at each other's throat's. A few isolated dumbass statements half a world away won't change the dynamic much. Folks look kindly on the nice low-key person in the back, even if they are kind of dim sometimes, over those two uppity people fighting with each other in center square all of the time. It's human nature.

Why that puts McCain in striking range despite Republican dumbassery:

1) Because a lot of folks still think of him as someone who's not Bush-friendly, despite much evidence in words, symbols, and deeds to the contrary:

2) He's done a fairly good job of wooing the national media:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/03/mccain.bbq/

Compare and contrast with Hillary:

http://www.time-blog.com/swampland/2..._campaign.html

3) He is a sympathetic figure, owing to his extended stay at the Hanoi Hilton.

+ Reply to Thread