+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 44
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Tahoe's "Veeps" thread

Blog Entries

Tahoe's "Veeps" thread

Last night (watching the Obama/Hil debate) was the first time that I had a fleeting thought that, while not likely, that these two could work together on a ticket.

That said, and I'll admit that I haven't been following this as closely as some of you, so maybe you can enlighten me, who do you think would be good choices as VPs for each? (Hil, BO, McCain)

This might not be smart, but what about Obama picking John Kerry? I know that Kerry is a supporter of his, and it might help counter the McCain "military" advantage. I'm sure that there are some that would view Kerry's military service as a negative, especially after he was Swift Boated.

Bill Richardson seems likable enough, too.

Is John Edwards still in play?

Who is McCain looking at?
    Last edited by Glenn; 02-22-2008 at 09:55 AM.
    Find a new slant.

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    Yeah, I had that same thought last night re: Hillary and Obama. I think she's pretty close to throwing in the towel now. Everything she's tried lately has been a disaster - that "plagiarism" thing was dead on arrival. Her will to fight is draining out of her, and who could blame her? Barack is so dreamy.

But I still don't necessarily see her taking the VP job. It's neither prestigious enough nor busy enough for her. I don't necessarily see John Kerry as the man either - I could be wrong about this, but I don't think he wants it anymore. Richardson would be an enormous help with the Latino vote, but he's also a walking calamity who can't keep horrible mistakes from falling out of his mouth, and he'd be better kept to a behind-the-scenes job. Edwards kind of had his own reasons for being a candidate, and the fact that he hasn't endorsed anyone so far kind of kills his chances of being the running mate, because loyalty and support matters a lot.

But far more than all this, you gotta look at strategy. First and foremost, the Obama running mate can't come from the Senate, or else the Democratic majority could go bye bye, and even the Democrats aren't dumb enough to piss away the opportunity to have a Dem presidency with a Dem Senate and a Dem HR. So he's got to pick someone outside the top tier of political life, and that means it could be a somewhat unconventional choice.

As far as McCain goes, I guarantee you he at least seriously considers Joe Lieberman. They are close allies in the Senate and Lieberman was an early endorser of McCain. We all know that Joementum is a DINO and he'll probably be up for it.

Blog Entries
    Don't you think McCain needs to go way to the right with his choice to woo the neocons?
    Find a new slant.

Obama would NEVER take Hillary on as a VP. His whole campaign is built around change, and that would totally derail that premise. I could see Edwards or Richardson, but no way on Hillary. Any attack Obama would have on McCain could simply be deflected by McCain saying Hillary is the same way. I could see Hillary taking Obama as her VP, but not the other way around. Not in a million years.

They'll still be friends, and I'm sure he'll enlist her help, but she'd do more harm than good on the ticket with someone preaching change.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Don't you think McCain needs to go way to the right with his choice to woo the neocons?
    Isn't that what I said?

Blog Entries
    Lieberman is not my idea of a strongly right-leaning VP choice , maybe I misunderstood you.
    Last edited by Glenn; 02-22-2008 at 11:42 AM.
    Find a new slant.

Sarcasm Glenn. Staples is out of green font.

Lieberman is pretty far to the right on just about everything. Defense, social issues, media, foreign policy (I mean, he's the only guy in the Senate currently advocating open war with Iran), etc. The only issue I can think of that he's even moderate about is immigration, and that's only because he mirror's McCain's position because of the benefits to business. In no way is Lieberman anything other than a conservative's wet dream. That's why Hannity, Limbaugh, and O'Reilly manage to actually refer to bills that are sponsored by 15 GOP senators (and Lieberman) as "bi-partisan" with a straight face. He's one of the worst enemies the Democrats have ever had.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    If I were McMaverick, I'd pick Meg Whitman, retiring (at age 52) CEO of eBay as VP. She's a Romney right-winger, a powerful woman with economic savvy who shores up McCain's weakness big-time. She doesn't have a political record, but that's less square footage to attack her with. "I'm a billionaire. I know all about buying and selling. I can't be bought or sold."

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    For Obama, I dunno... Bob Graham would be an interesting choice.

+ Reply to Thread