+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tigers give Granderson 5 years/$30m

In the summer of 2005, when Jimmy Rollins was 26 (age Granderson is now), he signed a 5 year - $40 million deal. He had played 4.5 years at that point, while Granderson has only played 2.5. However, Rollins wasn't playing up to the level at that time that Granderson currently is. When comparing their 2007 stats Granderson was close behind, but when comparing Granderson's 2007 to the 2004 Rollins had or the 2005 he was in the middle of, advantage Granderson.

Now you can compare NL vs AL and CF vs SS, but I would say getting the same length of contract for 25% less on fairly comparable players qualifies it as a steal.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

<--stubborn

Thanks Jeth, but I'm sold that this deal should be considered a steal yet. I have to dig a lil further when I have the time.
    Players meeting my ASS!

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    I think it's a great deal, but you can't really compare it to that Rollins deal like that. The important years to look at are the ones where he would be a free agent going for market value. The Rollins deal bought out three of those years while Curtis' buys out only one.

Again, i still think it's a great deal, just think that's an important point to note.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

Maybe steal just isn't the best word choice for a couple of you. How about a lucky discount?

Quote Originally Posted by The Mailman
    The face of Detroit sports?

I mean, I like him a lot, but he's really going to be the biggest guy in Detroit sports in your guys' opinions?
    Yeah, since Stevie retired, no one really took that "face". Right now the Tigers are the most important team around, so their most popular player will likely represent the city. ESPN conducted a poll over the summer to see which player/manager/mascot/etc. was the "face of his franchise", and everyone agreed next year Curtis will come to mind when someone thinks of the Detroit Tigers.

I can't argue with that at all. With how great his personality is, how open he is with the media, all he does with and for the city, and the fact that no one else really comes close, Curtis Granderson will be the icon of Detroit sports.

Lidstrom/Datsyuk/Hank should be the faces of Detroit sports. Stupid hockey getting no attention.
    _

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 1979

I can't argue with that at all. With how great his personality is, how open he is with the media, all he does with and for the city, and the fact that no one else really comes close, Curtis Granderson will be the icon of Detroit sports.
    I'd like to see him become that myself. It's just a lot to expect from a 14 year old kid right now.

This whole "face" of Detroit sports thing - I think Chauncey, Rip, Sheed certainly make up part of the face, I think Matt Millen is the face of the Lions in an obviously negative way, as for the Tigers - it was Pudge, now it's probably Magglio. Hard to judge whether it will continue to be Maggs, or if Verlander or Cabrera could become the face. Granderson has the potential, especially with the off-the-field things he's doing, but we'll see.
    As for the Wings - I think Chelios, Lidstrom and Zetterberg are the ones. Datsyuk is extremely talented but his face sin't always in everyones grill like the others.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

If you had to pick one guy from the wings right now, it'd be Lidstrom. But give it another season or two and it'll be Hank #1. Chelios is definitely in there just because he's been around so long, he's a stand-up guy, and he owns a bar in town.
    _

Joey Harrington. End of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

He's been gone for as long as he has, and he's still the #2 face of the franchise behind Moron Millen.
    _

+ Reply to Thread