+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tigers give Granderson 5 years/$30m

This makes Z a happy man!
    _

Blog Entries
    Solid move. It's no secret Grandy was way underpaid. He earned every penny of this deal, now I hope he doesn't lay back as if he has nothing to prove now that he's been paid (the Brandon Inge/Chris Wilcox approach), but I doubt that will be the case...

Granderson has the persona, talent, and capability to be the icon of Detroit professional sports...and it's going to be a pleasure watching him continue developing...

The reason we can get him at that price is because several years the pay is higher than what he would have gotten in arbitration, then when the deal gets bigger it's a bargain. Great move though, any way you look at it.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

He doesn't have to look over his shoulder at Cameron Maybin anymore either. The future of Tigers centerfield is fully entrenched now.
    _

you dont even have to look at the money, hate to use cliches, but 5 more years of grandersn makes it agreat deal.

imo, he was an mvp nomination type player (not mvp, but deserved concideration for top 5).

seems like he's got great tools with a great work ethic.

leyland has compared him to barry bonds, in a good way.

i wasnt worried about him leaving, but this is still excellent news.

He probably would have gotten serious MVP consideraton (not to actually get it, but to get mentioned for it) if he cut down the strikeouts and if we made the playoffs.
    _

Granderson finished 10th in AL MVP voting this past year - AHEAD of players like Jeter, Sabathia, Hunter, Abreu, Beckett, etc. He had one 4th place vote as his highest vote.
    Now look at the NL MVP. Jimmy Rollins had an extra 104 AB's and yet many of their numbers were comparable. Granderson had 3 more triples and 3 more walks, plus .006 higher BA. Rollins had Granderson by 17 runs, 7 HR, 20 RBI and 15 SB. They each had 38 doubles. Give Curtis and extra 100 AB's and he would have been on pace to come even closer to some of those other numbers, possibly pass more. Now put him in THIS YEAR's lineup. Look out.

He cut down his strikeout total by 33 from last season. Yes, continued improvement in that area would be nice. But his glaring weakness is facing lefties. Last season he had 119 AB's against lefties. The results? 19 hits compared to 40 strikeouts. Yep, a .160 batting average.

If he can figure out how to hit lefties at a .250 clip, while continuing the same performance - if not better - against righties, he WILL be the premier centerfielder in the league.

Also, I doubt he'll be stranded on third as many times this year as he was last year.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Jethro, I didn't know that. I liked the J-Roll comparison.

But yeah, a huge steal. I lovelovelove Curtis, and I agree with Ledezma that he could soon be the face of Detroit sports.

Blog Entries
    The face of Detroit sports?

I mean, I like him a lot, but he's really going to be the biggest guy in Detroit sports in your guys' opinions?

I'd like to see a deal for another player that makes him a steal.

I'm not saying its a bad deal at all, I'd just like something to compare it too.
    Players meeting my ASS!

+ Reply to Thread