+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 and 2017 Tigers Minor League news

Blog Entries
    I agree. And I'm sure thats what the coaches are telling him too.

I wish they had some video of his starts. I'm interested in seeing what his pitch arsenal is.

Blog Entries
    CRUCETA!!!

They finally got him out of the Dominican Republic.

Cruceta pitches strong in debut
    Hard-throwing reliever could join Tigers soon after striking out six in three innings in Toledo.

Lynn Henning / The Detroit News

TOLEDO -- He was supposed to join his new employer, the Detroit Tigers, 10 weeks ago at spring training.

Not until Tuesday night did Francisco Cruceta finally get a chance to show the Tigers just what they got when they signed him last November after a sparkling stint in the Dominican Winter League.

And what he showed them could put Cruceta, a 26-year-old right-handed reliever, on Detroit's 25-man roster very quickly.

Cruceta pitched in relief against the Columbus Clippers, who beat Toledo, 5-3, and did not allow a hit or a run in a 41-pitch outing, featuring command of three impressive pitches.

He struck out the side on 10 pitches in the sixth and retired the Clippers 1-2-3 in the seventh on two ground balls and a fourth strikeout. In the seventh, he added two more strikeouts. He also hit one batter on an 0-2 breaking pitch, and walked another when he went to his mouth successively on a 3-1 count, resulting in an automatic ball being called by the plate umpire.

He retired the other batter in the seventh on a ground ball. No Clippers batter hit a ball out of the infield.

"He threw the ball pretty good," Toledo manager Larry Parrish said, dryly understating Cruceta's debut, then adding a punch line:

"I figure in a couple of weeks he might be ready (for Detroit)."

Cruceta's fastball regularly touched 94 mph and once hit 95. He added a hard slider and a lethal split-finger change-up, the pitch Cruceta developed after earlier stints with the Mariners and Indians, and then with the Rangers' farm system in 2007.

"His split, from the side (dugout), almost breaks like a hard slider," Parrish said.

"The only negative I saw is that he was tipping his pitches."

Cruceta is 6-foot-2 and 215 pounds. He conceded before Tuesday night's game that his visa problems stemmed from last year's 50-game suspension by Major League Baseball for using steroids. The Tigers did extensive background work and were satisfied with the circumstances of his ban, which Cruceta did not address in detail Tuesday.

Cruceta will likely be added to the Tigers' 25-man roster well ahead of the May 10 deadline the team faces in deciding Cruceta's future. He's out of big-league options and cannot be returned to the minors without being exposed to waivers. He was granted a 30-day extension on Major League Baseball's restricted list because of his visa holdup.

He had no hint there would be visa complications when he prepared Feb. 4 to fly to Florida for spring camp. The U.S. Embassy in the Dominican Republic would not clear his visa. Officials there sent his case to Washington, D.C. for more careful examination by the State Department.

"They never told me anything," Cruceta said. "They just said, 'We will call you.' I take three months waiting for the call."

He worked out regularly at the Tigers' developmental camp in Santo Domingo and threw with the same regularity he would have thrown in Lakeland.

"They got my back when I was in the Dominican," Cruceta said of the Tigers.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Good stuff on Cruceta. He's going to take either Grilli or Miners spot...

What's that stuff about him going to his mouth twice and the batter being granted a ball? I've never heard that before.
    _

Blog Entries
    You have to get permission from the ump to go to your mouth on the mound. They usually only grant permission when it's cold, IIRC.
    Find a new slant.

Ahhh. Like blowing in your hand, I get it now.
    _

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Porcello got roughed up a little in his last start, giving up 3 runs in 5 innings.

But let's hear it for Luis Marte who now has 32 K's in only 29 innings at High A Lakeland. He's looking like a legit rotation prospect.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

Any news on Cruceta?

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

From mlive:

-- The Francisco Cruceta decision has to come soon, because the right-handed reliever is already through the first half of his allotted 16 days at Triple-A Toledo. And the only decision is when the Tigers call on him, because through his first three appearances with the Mud Hens, Cruceta has pitched seven innings, allowing just two hits, with three walks and 15 strikeouts.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

So why is he not in a Tigers uniform yet?

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

+ Reply to Thread