+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 and 2017 Tigers Minor League news

2008 and 2017 Tigers Minor League news

Well, it's a whole new farm system now, with half of the top 20 prospects from last season gone. So as we track a handful of names we know and a bunch we didn't from last season, this might be the best place to track all of that.

First update - the Giarratano experiment is over. The oft-injured shortstop prospect who spent some time in the majors was officially released by the organization yesterday.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

That doesn't surprise me at all. He seemed like he'd be a solid shortstop there for a while but he just kept getting hurt and never got it together. Who's our new top SS prospect?
    _

Nefe
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Steroids in the system!!!!!
    _

Middle infield is actually our deepest spot now, arguably.

Last year's draft choice, Cale Iorg (dad and uncle played in the majors) is possibly our next best prospect after Porcello - regardless of position. He's a SS. We also have Holliman, Dlugach, and Worth all at SS - and all among our top 15 or so prospects.
    as things shake out it's entirely possible one or more of them gets moved around the infield, but it would be more likely to move them to 3B out of need than to 2B, since we have Sizemore as our top 2B prospect but really no 3B prospect worth mentioning.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Unfortunately, I think it's probably even more likely that none of them end up much more than a utility guy.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

We'll see. I think with that many we're likely to have at least one that can be ready for the show by the time Renteria needs to be replaced.

That's kind of how I'm viewing our farm system now.

We'll continue to add via free agency through the years, but assuming we had to replace our current players with homegrown talent, how well could we do that?
    I'm hoping Porcello can replace Rogers.
    I'm kind of hoping Inge might work out as a stop-gap replacement for Pudge, but I would really like to find out if Skelton can be legit.
    In the event Zumaya doesn't come back to be the player he made us dream about as a rookie, can we develop another closer? I don't see an heir apparent there.
    As guys like Guillen and Polanco get older, I think we can put players in place there as well. We've got some outfield possibilities also, but no one near the level of Magglio (but exactly how many organizations do have someone of that caliber).

My biggest hope is that the youth of our current team combined with our farm can sustain us to the point that we only need one mid-level free agent every two years to stay at the top of the division.

Blog Entries
    Hollimon doesn't really project well to an everyday MLB player (per Baseball America)...but from what I've read, he's a perfect bench infielder...perhaps if Santiago missed some time this year, Hollimon could make his debut...

Also whats up with Mike Hessman??? I know back in December they were looking to unload Thames and keep Hessman on the team, but since there were no takers, I assume that Hessman won't be on the squad come April 1...

He's still on the 40 man, so would that obligate him to report to AAA, if not, I'm sure he could land a roster spot on some other team (Florida, Pittsburgh, San Francisco)...

Blog Entries
    So what is Zach up to today?

Oh, this in MINOR league news, not MINER...

Nevermind.
    Find a new slant.

Since you bumped this, I will point out that through 2 starts (10 innings), Porcello has a 0.00 ERA and 0.70 WHIP with 7 strikeouts at Lakeland so far.

+ Reply to Thread