+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Volt

I'm sure the oil companies will be ready to convert to whatever. They still have all the distribution points.

energy stocks had a great year last year. solar is real hot right now.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b-diddy
    the reason its not out there is because the tech didnt make sense, and oil was so cheep there was no reason to look elsewhere. lack of foresight? maybe.
    No U.S. automaker foresaw that we'd purposely destabilize the Middle East (jacking up the price to $2+/gallon from $1.35/gallon), while lackadaisically letting the dollar slide SO badly (doing the rest of the damage).

Why the lack of foresight? Because they predicted common sense where there is none.

The automakers were certainly expecting the price of oil to go up, but they were looking in the 10-20 year timeframe, and a decade+ of research showed that U.S. consumers buy gas guzzling trucks, not hybrids, at $1.35/gallon. They had a taste of destabilized Middle East prices ($2+/gallon) with 9/11 and had to think that we weren't going to inflict that on ourselves! Enter Bush and a stupid war in Iraq...

The automakers were expecting Republican leadership to keep the dollar strong, too. With the push of manufacturing abroad, we were turning ourselves into a nation of importers, so we had strong incentive to keep our currency propped up, much as the Brits do with the pound. Surely, the fed would prevent little things like the watering down of our currency owing to defaults? Didn't Republicans figure this one out with the S&L scandal, not to mention the more recent scandals? Oh wait -- this is Spend-It-All Bush the MBA, keeping his eye off the ball.

You can't tell me that we have all this technology, which has revolutionized the world, and in the same time we can neither A)manufacture a viable electric car; or B)Manufacture automobiles that can get 100 MPG???

Sorry, boys, there's a two headed boogeyman out there: Military/industrial/oil complex, and lazy consumers who want to impress everyone with their dicks.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Zip Goshboots
    Sorry, boys, there's a two headed boogeyman out there: Military/industrial/oil complex, and lazy consumers who want to impress everyone with their dicks.
    I hear ya. I think it was b-diddy who said all of this is legit, but the way I see it, b-diddy, you've got way too much faith in people.

Keeping with the electrical theme...

The Chevy Transistor

The Chevy Capacitor

The Chevy Transformer

I bet I'm the ONLY one who his chuckling.

what i said was that the electric car is just skirting the issue. how do you think we produce electricity?

you can get A from b, you can also get A from c, but the way we get c is from b. whats the difference?

its simply that we were getting a great deal on oil 6 or so years ago. the idea of energy crisis wasnt nearly as alarming as it is today.

what i said was that the electric car is just skirting the issue. how do you think we produce electricity?

you can get A from b, you can also get A from c, but the way we get c is from b. whats the difference?

its simply that we were getting a great deal on oil 6 or so years ago. the idea of energy crisis wasnt nearly as alarming as it is today.
    Or as it was, say, back in about 1977.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

what i said was that the electric car is just skirting the issue.
    You do not think it is at least a step? Obviously, we need to try to advance solar and nuclear energy as quickly, safely, and efficiently as possible seeing as the electricity grid depends largely upon waning natural resources. There are less emissions that come as a result of using electric cars vs. ICE (internal combustion engines). Is it not, then, an improvement? Should we not pursue it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zip Goshboots
    Or as it was, say, back in about 1977.
    that was due to US oil output peaking in the early 70's, and a shift in reliance to international sources.

i believe i covered all this in the "wtfdetroit needs to solve the energy crisis" that was so popular last week.

im not saying i disagree with you guys. its just that necessity is the mother of all inventions, as they say. and up until recently, it would be hard to say there was a necessity to break away from oil.

and believe me, im a huge environmentalist. i also just try to be a realist too.

+ Reply to Thread