+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mayor is a player! (Official Kwame Kilpatrick thread)

i thought the same thing in 05. depends on who he runs against. i heard the 'not black enough' shit about freman, probably coming out of the kwame camp. kwame is good at playing his cards. he has no problem blaming the burbs, ala coleman young.

its impossible to underestimate the voting base of detroit, imo. the literacy rate in detroit is something like 60% (or was it worse). i hate to sound so anti-detroit, but its failed city. everyone in the world knows it. the solution isnt coming out of the 313, or MI. the fed is gonna have to bail it out, if its ever gonna get bailed out.

i will say this though: oil is high, gonna go down a bit in the short term, but the price is gonna go way up. the suburbs are gonna wilt and city centers everywhere are going to prosper again, when people realize driving 50 miles a day to work on gas that cost 4, 5, or 10 dollars a gallon isnt such a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by b-diddy
    i will say this though: oil is high, gonna go down a bit in the short term, but the price is gonna go way up. the suburbs are gonna wilt and city centers everywhere are going to prosper again, when people realize driving 50 miles a day to work on gas that cost 4, 5, or 10 dollars a gallon isnt such a great idea.
    I don't care if gas goes to 50 dollars a gallon, the "I'd rather die than live in detroit" crowd is hardcore and their name is legion. People will carpool, pony up for smart buses, find new jobs, leave the state, eat a bullet... or any of a hundred other options before going back to the city.

This is one of, if not the most racially polarized areas in the entire country and I don't think it's realistic to expect it to change in our lifetimes.
    Last edited by geerussell; 01-25-2008 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by b-diddy
    i thought the same thing in 05. depends on who he runs against. i heard the 'not black enough' shit about freman, probably coming out of the kwame camp. kwame is good at playing his cards. he has no problem blaming the burbs, ala coleman young.

its impossible to underestimate the voting base of detroit, imo. the literacy rate in detroit is something like 60% (or was it worse). i hate to sound so anti-detroit, but its failed city. everyone in the world knows it. the solution isnt coming out of the 313, or MI. the fed is gonna have to bail it out, if its ever gonna get bailed out.

The average car in Japan gets 45 mpg. It will be the end of the large pickup truck and monster SUV. Don't see Detroit having a resurgence because of gas prices. Nobody is going to move down there because their are no jobs. I went to the auto show last weekend and did not realize how many empty buildings their were until I was on the people mover. Personally I find it sad. I wish we had a downtown.

Blog Entries
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    lol'ed while rolling all over my floor.
    Last edited by Timone; 02-16-2008 at 01:29 PM.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    "looks like Scottie Pippen" -- priceless!

Blog Entries
    Kilpatrick charged in text-messaging sex scandal

By Corey Williams
    Associated Press Writer

THIS STORY WILL BE UPDATED

Kwame Kilpatrick, a one-time rising star in American urban politics who embraced his "Hip-Hop Mayor" image as Detroit's youngest elected leader, was charged Monday with perjury and other counts after sexually explicit text messages surfaced that appear to contradict his sworn denials of an affair with a top aide.

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy also charged the charismatic and popular yet polarizing 37-year-old mayor with obstruction of justice and misconduct in office.

Former Chief of Staff Christine Beatty, 37, who also denied under oath that she and Kilpatrick shared a romantic relationship in 2002 and 2003, was charged with perjury and obstruction of justice.

In all, Worthy authorized a 12-count criminal information.

"This case was about as far from being a private matter as one can get. Honesty and integrity in the justice system is everything. That is what this case is about," Worthy said at a news conference.

"Just when did honesty and integrity, truth and honor become traits to be mocked, downplayed, ignored, laughed at or excuses made for them? When did telling the truth become a supporting player to everything else?"

The charges could signal the end of Kilpatrick's six-year career as mayor of one of America's largest cities.

Perjury is a felony, punishable by up to 15 years in prison. But for Kilpatrick, a conviction also would mean his immediate expulsion from office. The Detroit City Charter calls for any elected official convicted of a felony while in office to be removed.

Kilpatrick has said he would not resign and last week said he expects to be vindicated when all aspects of the scandal are made public.

The mayor's office was expected to release a statement following Worthy's news conference.

Worthy said she expected the mayor and Beatty to turn themselves in no later than 7 a.m. Tuesday.
    Find a new slant.

Just watched the presser.

Detroit needs its mayor working, not defending himself.
    Players meeting my ASS!

+ Reply to Thread