+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 125
FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 108 ... LastLast

Thread: Notable deaths thread...

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    I'm embarrassed to say that I never appreciated the likes of Stormin' Norman and Jerry Sloan when they were players. At around that time, it was all about Dr. J and flashy O for me...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe
    Paul Harvey 90

I wonder if the radio show will continue.

Usually they have Ron Chapman do it when Paul's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfredo Ledezma
    I wonder if the radio show will continue.

Usually they have Ron Chapman do it when Paul's not there.
    I know Americans are whacky fucking sickeningly nostalgic`about things like that, but the show must NOT go on. It was Paul Harvey's show, done in his inimitable way.

As a matter of fact, they should just re run it forever. Will anybody ever really know that the news he's reporting actually happened in 1967? Who the fuck really listens to the radio when it's on, especially the news? Shit, most of the time people in cars are on the cell phone or texting or wolfing down a Big Mac. That is, when they're not mixing drinks.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Blog Entries
    An Indian reported to be the world's oldest man has died in the western city of Jaipur, his family said.

Habib Miyan, who died Monday, claimed to be 138 years old and was listed as the country's oldest man in India's Limca Book of Records.

But without a birth certificate giving formal proof of his age, Habib Miyan, who played clarinet in a maharaja's band before retiring 70 years ago, could not prove his longevity.

However, his pension book showed his birth date as May 20, 1879 — which would make him 129.

The oldest living person according to the Guinness World Records is 115-year-old Edna Parker, who lives in an Indiana nursing home. Japanese woman Yone Minagawa died last year at 114.

Thousands of people thronged Habib Miyan's funeral on Tuesday in Jaipur, 340km from Jodhpur, following a bout of fever and dysentery, his niece Munni told AFP.

"If you treat your body well, the body will treat you well," Habib Miyan would tell anyone who asked him the secret of his long life, another relative Mehmood Khan, told the Calcutta Telegraph.

Habib Miyan made international headlines in 2004 when he fulfilled a long-cherished ambition of visiting the Muslim holy city of Mecca, becoming one of the oldest people to complete the pilgrimage.

Habib Miyan, whose wife died around 70 years ago, lived in a Muslim quarter of Jaipur, a popular tourist hub in the western state of Rajasthan.

He retired in 1938 from the court of then Jaipur king, Raja Man Singh, where he played clarinet in the royal orchestra.

He had been blind for more than half a century and his mobility was limited in recent years but he underwent hip replacement surgery last year, according to media reports.

He spent most of his time in his house, praying and telling stories to his vast extended family of 140 people.

On Monday, Habib Miyan called Rajesh Nagpal, a bank clerk who had made public his longevity, over to the house where generations of his family had lived and told him: "I am going to go now," the Telegraph reported.

He died soon after.

Nagpal was working in a bank in Jaipur in 1998 when he noticed the old man who would come to collect his pension and dug out his records.

The chance discovery changed Habib Miyan's life and the media started flocking to his doorstep to hear his memories.

This is good news. I'm going to be around to haunt you fuckers for a long, long time.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    U WISH!

Just got off the treadmill and I feel like I'm 20.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    If I continue to drink that G2...watch out.
    Fixed.

And stay off the sauce.
    Players meeting my ASS!

And stay off the sauce.
    Now that's going too far. Alcohol is a preservative. You wanna die early? Excercise. Just ask Jimmy Fixx.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

+ Reply to Thread