+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Article: Ham's Journey Continues in D-League

Article: Ham's Journey Continues in D-League

Ham's journey continues in D-League

Edition Date: 01/16/08

Darvin Ham has seen and done a lot in his basketball career. He appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated while at Texas Tech and has played in 417 NBA games for six teams, including the 2004 champion Detroit Pistons.
    Now a forward with the Albuquerque Thunderbirds, one might wonder why Ham is in Boise this week for the NBA Development League Showcase. The four-day event at Qwest Arena features all 14 D-League teams playing two games each in front of professional scouts.

To Ham, the answer is simple.

"If you love something, why not do it?" Ham, 34, said. "I've still got that itch to play, so I'm not going to let age get in the way of doing something I love."

While Ham shares the goal of an NBA call-up with just about every player in the D-League, not many of his peers are likely to enjoy his success. Of the 140-plus players in Boise, Ham is the only one who owns an NBA championship ring.

"I take great pride in that," Ham said. "It took a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get that ring. But if you work hard, man, good things will happen."

Ham, who only played one year of high school basketball, has been working hard to stay in the pros for nearly 11 years. But perhaps the defining moment of his career came during his senior year at Texas Tech.

That moment occurred during the second round of the 1996 NCAA Tournament. Ham's Red Raiders were underdogs as they took on a North Carolina squad that included current NBA stars Antawn Jamison and Vince Carter.

The game was close early, but Ham turned the momentum with one thunderous play. After teammate Jason Sasser missed a jump-hook in the lane, the 6-foot-7 Ham flew past Carter and slammed the rebound home with such force that he shattered the glass backboard.

"Vince was supposed to block me out on that play," Ham said. "But he kind of leaked out to get a head start on the fast break. I had a clear path to the basket and I just did what I normally do."

The result, however, was anything but normal. Ham came down amid a shower of broken glass, and Texas Tech rode the momentum to a 92-73 win and a berth in the Sweet 16.

"It shocked me as much as it shocked everyone else," Ham said. "But I'm glad it happened because it was a big shot of adrenaline for my teammates."

Texas Tech was eliminated by Georgetown in the Sweet 16, but Ham's backboard-breaking dunk made the cover of Sports Illustrated.

It's a distinction that follows Ham to this day.

"I just signed three (copies of the SI cover) the other night," Ham said. "Still, after all this time, people remember that play."

Ham went on to win the 1996 NCAA slam-dunk contest, earning him the nickname "Dunkin' Darvin." He went undrafted out of college, but earned a roster spot with the Denver Nuggets and began his eight-year NBA career.

Ham's most successful pro seasons came between 1999 and 2002, when Milwaukee Bucks coach George Karl allowed him to "run like a wild man." Ham responded by averaging 4.4 points and four rebounds per game off the bench.

In 2003, Ham signed with the Pistons, who went on to upset the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2004 NBA Finals.

"In Detroit, that was the greatest team experience of my life," Ham said.

"We had a close-knit group of guys who had overcome adversity, and we came together and did something that no one expected us to do."

Ham's final NBA season came in 2004-2005 with the Pistons. He considered moving into broadcasting after briefly playing overseas, but decided to enter the D-League draft this season so he could share his experiences.

"I just want to help these guys learn how to work hard and wait for their opportunity," Ham said. "You don't have to be the star. You just have to build on your strengths and improve on your weaknesses."

Albuquerque coach Jeff Ruland - a former NBA All-Star - jumped at the chance to draft Ham, taking him with the No. 3 overall pick.

"Darvin brings so much to the table," Ruland said. "He works hard at the little things and goes about his business the right way. He is the ultimate professional."

Ham says he's happy with his career, though it almost never happened. As a 14-year-old, Ham was hospitalized after being struck in the jaw by a stray bullet in his Saginaw, Mich., neighborhood.

On the operating table that night, Ham showed he knew how to survive. It's a lesson he's hoping to pass on in the D-League.

"I know God has a purpose for my life," Ham said.

"I've had a great career, and I want to share everything I've been through. Hopefully, I can be an inspiration to these young guys."
    Good to see that Darvin is still getting it done, albeit on a much smaller stage.

WE ARE ALL WITNESSES

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    How does the D-League draft work? He was drafted at 34 years old?

+ Reply to Thread