+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: DSC's MSU Football Thread

I don't think he'd get fired either. I think they stay the course.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro34
    You think MD's job would survive back-to-back seasons without 6 wins? Who knows if that will happen, but I'm guessing it wouldn't sit well for his bosses.

Frankly, I think MD is a good coach and I was one of the first to congratulate MSU for their hire. But if he struggles and guys like Brian Kelly are out there looking for their next step up, it would be hard to sit in the AD's office and not want to make a switch.
    I don't see MD at that point. I think that if he underperforms he will still be pretty safe for about 5 years, where 6-6/7-5 will be normal. I don't think he will screw things up to JLS proportions. MD is a low risk coach. If he gets fired, I think it will be due to staying right on that 'barely bowl eligible' border, and people will lose patience.

I hope/kind of expect him to stabalize and improve the program so that 8-4 is about average, a 4 year cycle something like - Champs, Outback, Citrus/Rose, Insight - occurring.

Mark Dantonio - MSU Head Coach

http://www.freerice.com

Blog Entries
    By the way, nice job keeping this thread alive so that it doesn't become "one of the shortest ever".
    Agreed. It's nice to have Spartan fans that can discuss these things rationally.
    Find a new slant.

This just might be the most popular thread of the day so far - easily the most popular in this forum, all on the same day that Terrelle Pryor is in Ann Arbor.
    Way to steal the thunder. That's how dynasties are built!
    We had subs. It was crazy.

This just might be the most popular thread of the day so far - easily the most popular in this forum, all on the same day that Terrelle Pryor is in Ann Arbor.
    Way to steal the thunder. That's how dynasties are built!
    Obviously.

We'll probably get a couple 3 stars this weekend.

2 3 stars >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1 #1 kid in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsportscity
    Obviously.

We'll probably get a couple 3 stars this weekend.

2 3 stars >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1 #1 kid in the country.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsportscity
    I don't see MD at that point. I think that if he underperforms he will still be pretty safe for about 5 years, where 6-6/7-5 will be normal. I don't think he will screw things up to JLS proportions. MD is a low risk coach. If he gets fired, I think it will be due to staying right on that 'barely bowl eligible' border, and people will lose patience.

I hope/kind of expect him to stabalize and improve the program so that 8-4 is about average, a 4 year cycle something like - Champs, Outback, Citrus/Rose, Insight - occurring.
    Thats what originally wrote and edited it out for some reason.

If MSU sees MD as a guy that can produce .500 seasons or slightly better, they keep him over a couple of rough seasons early on. Its way better than having a Saban that bails on you.

Then he becomes Tommy Amaker. Consistent mediocrity. That's all well and good, but you better hope you don't miss out on a better coach along the line because you're content to be mediocre.
    I'm telling you, Brian Kelly will jump within two seasons. Getting him in EL would be huge. Otherwise, someone like Iowa or Tennessee or someone along those lines might get him instead.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Tommy A never made the tourney. And Pre-Tommy A BBall > JLS/Bobby W MSU FBall.

And, once again, I see MD getting MSU to be consistently 8-4ish, so a PSU/Wiscy level team, which would both be an improvement and allow us to take another step at a future point in time. If he stays at a 6-6/7-5 range, he will be mediocre, but will likely take 4-5 years to be forced out. And by the Kelly will be long gone, but there will be the new 'hot' candidate. The frustrating history is that we passed over Urban Meyer and Les Miles. As in Meyer actually tried real hard to come, but we turned him down. WTF? (not that he wouldn't have pulled a Saban, but look at BGSU and Utah, they moved up a grade after he left relative to before him, opposite Saban).

Consistent 8-4. Hmmmmm. I don;t think that's unreasonable, but it is a few years away, and lemme tell you why. He has to be a coach that can get the MOST out of the kids he's bringing in, and hopefully he brings kids in that are hungry enough to work their butts off. But that takes a couple years, and here we have MSU in a cycle where they are going to lose prominent players two years in a row (next year no Hoyer, Ringer, etc). So, does Dantonio gamble and play alot of youngsters this year (Foles included), or does he go with who he has all the way to get the best season he can and make it back to a bowl game. I guess that would depend on how the season progresses.
    Anyway, he loses a starting QB and a running back after next season (and a few others, I'm sure). Is it back to square one in '09 with a younger team?
    Boy, tough position. He needs to learn a trick or two from the Zooker. He NEEDS some impact freshman, especially skill playaz. I just can't see them on this path and doing anything other than a four year cycle of miss/insight.com/Meineke Car Care/Capital One
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

+ Reply to Thread