+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 164
FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 72 112 162 ... LastLast

Thread: Jethro's UM Football Thread

mcguffie has sent in his LOI Its official he is blue all is well in AA

TP TO AA 4 ZIP

Its true mcguffie is in, now i hope twins is also correct on Pryor
    http://michigan.scout.com/
    I want Michigan State to win every game they play, except Michigan.

That'd be funny if RR faxed him back, thanked him and told him he was going to use him as an outside linebacker or something.
    Players meeting my ASS!

mcguffie has seemed like a strange bird since day one, but glad to have him aboard.

Blog Entries
    ^ Um...wtf?

So...at this point I would have to say the most obvious weaknesses in this class are the two that (likely) got away. QB and DE are the glaring holes, with CB following close behind. Those will be the massive needs for next years class. We have very little depth at those three positions already, PLUS we lose much of the talent there at the end of the upcoming season.

Anyone hearing early thoughts on position changes? That's probably one of the things I'm looking forward to spring practice for, since that's usually when we hear about it.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

only a rumor, but it sounds like one of the LB's (Fitz, Spoon or Demens) will be asked to move to DE or that Kevin Koger could be moved to DE if its decided that we don't need 3,849 TE's to run the spread.

On a side note............it's kind of ironic we have one of our best "groups of TE's" and then move to a more spread system.

Koger will play DE I have said this since day one he is nasty mean and will be an absolute moster of the corner GO BLUEEE!!! sorry been drinking and thinking

YoUR MY BOY BLUE

Recruiting Denoument

Well, the dust has settled on the recruiting battlefield for this year for the most part. UM still has a scholly or two to give out, and some names do remain out there, but I think it's pretty much over. Here are some notes gleened from other sources mixed in with a few of my own thoughts.

First, obviously RR has some Ohio ties, with WV being a border state of the Nation's Asshole. Was that a factor in pulling Omameh, Shaw, and Roundtree? Probably. Lloyd did have some Ohio recruits locked up, but who knows what would have happened to them all if UM had hired a Tedford, Shciano, or Ferentz? I do think RR was the reason those guys came over (duh), and this class features SEVEN kids ffrom the Buckeye state. Under Carr, UM had enjoyed less and less success there, and many have made light of the seeming closing off of Ohio (for the most part) to Michigan with Carr there. I just think another thing is it's the difference between being 62 and 44. RR will bring much more energy to the process.
    Scout touched on UM going after kids who had verballed to other schools, and some questions beign raised by the Michigan media about that, almost contentiously. RR say: You just know who you have to compete against when a kid verbals. Welcome to the New World. Obviously, Carr seems to have had a general policy against that. Fine, it's honorable, and if a kid seems like he's made up his mind, Carr was happy with that. Add to that that with Carr, this class would have topped out at 18, the list completed WAY before the process was over. RR will continue to recruit until March 31. Big difference. Again, one guy was in his 60's, the other guy in his 40's. But recruiting until the end landed UM seven more recruits, most of them four stars, and at least five of them committed elsewhere. Welcome to the New World.
    This has to go down as a stunner. Much will be made of the defections, especially Mallett. I have it on good, good info that Mallett was gone no matter who took over (unless it would have been his father). Word is that Mallett was kind of a head case, kind of full of himself, didn;t like going to class, yada yada. But he IS a talent and I hope he cultivates that talent. Best of luck to him. I do see how he could have flourished under RR, who probably would have run the Cap 1 offense with him. Would have been interesting.
    But the real stunner is that this class could have (maybe even should have) fallen apart. It's pretty obvious that most of the recruits had a personal relationship with the last staff and enjoyed it. RR came in and did an OUTSTANDING job of forging relationships of his own. Maybe even spent some time reminding the kids of what UM football is and what UM is in terms of a great institution. And again, not only did the class stay pretty intact, it grew by leaps and bounds. Not just talent wise, but in national prominence. Two kids out of Florida is big. The Beaver says "Old UM" had given up on Florida. RR will probably buy a time share down there to set up a recruiting base. Three huge committs out of Texas. Obviously, Old UM got two of them, but nevertheless, look for UM to stake some ground there as well.
    On the home front, of course UM (and MSU) lost out on Perry. But hey, guess what? Michigan high school talent attracts national recruiters too. Pannell was a big loss as well in my opinion. I believe it all starts up front. But these kids might just feel that escaping Michigan is best for them, and more power to them. Ricky Barnum actually liked the snow and cold when he visited. Maybe he's crazy, but you can see that for national recruits Michigan looks pretty good, so there will be trade offs. Best of luck to Ingram and Perry, both made good choices (I guess).
    It's hard to address how this class fills needs, as we don;t know who will be unable to fit in with both RR and Barwis. My bud in AA tells me that for the most part the players are buying in in a big way so far, though some fat is being trimmed.
    The Beaver says UM fans have got to be "great fans" next year, and no be pissed at 6-6, 7-5, or even 5-7. I don;t buy into the gloom and doom there. I'm not predicting a BCS game next year, but I think Threet will show up solid if it's him, and who knows who else might be wearing the Corn 'n Blue in the next few weeks? However, If UM lands no other QB's in this class, then you are set back another year. But if Threet pans out, who knows?
    There will be great gains made by the Barwis Program. Again, I think that'll take a year to kick in. The dividends will really start to pay off with RR's recruits down the road, and the younger guys LLoyd left him.
    UM football is in solid hands. A transition is always tough, but a transition has to happen sometime. I hope the self righteous cocksuckers in the Detroit media can get over themselves and work with Rodriguez. I know it's got to make alot of people sick and tired reading their "Well, Michigan is one of those hallowed institutions that would dare not do this...or that. And now we've got the "new" type of coach who would leave another job to come here" bullshit. Fuck that being a "Michigan Man" crud. It's led to a decade of just better than mediocre, and much embarrassment suffered at the hands of OSU and in bowl games. One friggin' win over Florida in the Cap 1 bowl doesn't mean that UM just got "unlucky" this year and a "do we really want such a major change seeing how the old system worked so well?"
    It's a new era here, and I am going to kick back and enjoy the hell out of it. Seeing West Virginai tear up not just their conference but bowl opponest over the last three years, and seeing how RR made this recruiting season a resounding success, it is gonna be a hell of alot of fun if you axe me.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Good job Zip and thanks.

RR kind of comes across as an SOB...winning is everything. But he's with us, so its ok. UofM can handle a lil 'win first' attitude for a couple decades.
    Players meeting my ASS!

+ Reply to Thread