+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 164
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Jethro's UM Football Thread

My morning search has taken me to Mgoblog.com, a great source of stuff for those of you who don't to pay $100.00 a year so you can hear "the latest hot news" from college football ten minutes before everyone else.
    This one is on Tennessee commit JT Floyd, who is apparently reopening his recruiting, and considers UM and Tennessee to be the front runners now:

Per Mgoblog-Scout

One of the state's top prospects J.L. Mann WR/S J.T. Floyd has held the recruiting world in suspense over the last few months. Initially a verbal to Tennessee he opened things back up and now it appears that it's a 2 team race with the Vols and Michigan.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Scout talked to Marcus Witherspoon, a UM committ from New Jersey. Many UMers are nervous about his status, as he is going to have a look at Tennessee:

There have been conflicting reports about the commitment status of Holy Spirit High (Absecon, NJ) LB Marcus Witherspoon in recent weeks. Some have characterized him as solidly committed while others have described as uncommitted and open to other suitors. In reality, the truth is somewhere in between.

“I’m still committed (to Michigan),” Witherspoon said. “It’s a matter of this change that’s going on. I’m just going to go on a visit (to Tennessee) and see what else is going on besides this. I’m not really concerned about nothing (at Michigan). I just decided that since everybody is going through this change, I figured why not? Just like I don’t know the Tennessee coaches, I don’t know the Michigan coaches now. Had everything stayed like it was, I wouldn’t have made this decision, but since everything has changed I figured I would give this other team a chance. Why not?”

Though he still considers himself a Wolverine pledge, the opening that the 6-2, 215-pounder has given the Volunteers does bring his Michigan status into question. Based on Witherspoon’s recent conversations with Rich Rodriguez it’s obvious the new Maize & Blue headman feels the same way.

“He basically said he saw how I played and he didn’t want to lose me,” Witherspoon recalled. He wants me to stay at Michigan. There are no problems. Everything is cool. I’m going to talk with them a little bit more and get to know them better. He’s going to come up and visit.”

One topic Rodriguez won’t have to spend much time explaining is how the versatile youngster will fit into the attack-style defense that will be employed in Ann Arbor.

“I’d probably fit right in because I can blitz a lot,” admitted Witherspoon. “From a linebacker’s point of view, the defense is perfect. It fits my style. It would be perfect for me. It really would.”

Despite that realization, Witherspoon is still uncertain about what his next move should be. At this point he isn’t just waiting for the right feeling to hit him about one of two programs.

“I don’t know what (the decision) will come down to,” he said. “I couldn’t even tell you. It’s a lot to think about. A LOT to think about because I don’t see either situation as a bad situation for me. Both situations are good situations. It will probably come down to me praying about it and making sure I make the right decision. It wouldn’t have anything to do with the coaches or the system or anything because I know at both, those things are good.”

The person Witherspoon will lean on most as decision time nears will be his father.

“He still loves Michigan, but he is respecting me and my decision,” Witherspoon said. “Whatever I choose to do, he’s behind me.”

Good work. Yeah JT Floyd I forgot him in my PM Jethro.
    What is a budkow.....isnt that something I shit out of?

RR has hired the 9th and final coach: Shafer, stolen from Jim Harbaugh at Stanford. No word yet who the DC will be. Possibly Tall.

Shafer spent the past two years as the defensive coordinator at Western Michigan, where he led a defensive unit that ranked among the best in the nation. Shafer, a 1990 graduate of Baldwin-Wallace, was the defensive coordinator while also coaching defensive backs at Western Michigan in 2005 and '06.

During his career, he has also coached at Indiana, Rhode Island, Northern Illinois and Illinois.

For the past two years, he helped the Broncos register the biggest turnaround in MAC history. Western Michigan was 1-10 the year before he arrived, then went 7-4 in 2005 and 8-5 in 2006. Shafer's defensive unit was a large part of WMU's success.

In 2006, Shafer spearheaded a defensive group that ranked first in the nation in interceptions (24) and sacks (46), sixth in run defense, seventh in turnover margin and 11th in total defense. His defense included linebacker Ameer Ismail, the MAC Defensive Player of the Year and a Second Team All-American, and All-MAC defensive back London Fryar.

The Broncos' rush defense (76.1 ypg) in 2006 set a MAC record for fewest rushing yards allowed per game. Shafer was a nominee for the Broyles Award as the top assistant coach in the nation.

In his first season, Shafer's defense was a major reason why the Broncos were able to turn a 1-10 team into a 7-4 club. His defense, led by All-MAC defensive back Louis Delmas, recorded 13 forced fumbles and 15 interceptions.

Shafer was the secondary coach at Illinois in 2004 under head coach Ron Turner prior to moving to Western Michigan. While in Champaign, he coached cornerback Kelvin Hayden, who led the Big Ten in interceptions and was drafted in the second round.

Shafer coached at Northern Illinois for eight seasons (1996-2003), including the last four as defensive coordinator. He was also the defensive backs coach during his entire tenure in DeKalb, Ill. As defensive coordinator, Shafer's unit was a driving force in the Huskies going 30-16 and winning two MAC West Division championships (2001, '02) from 2000-03.

Throughout his career at NIU, Shafer's players earned 13 All-MAC selections. During the 2003 season, Northern Illinois was ranked as high as No. 12 in the AP poll, recorded its first 10-win season in 20 years, and had three victories over BCS teams while holding them to an average of 15 points per game.

NIU also led the nation in interceptions with 23 in 2003 and had five defensive players named to the All-MAC team. In 2002, Shafer's defense led the conference in interceptions, takeaways, sacks, scoring defense and run defense.

He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Indiana under head coach Bill Mallory in 1991 and '92. He spent the next three seasons (1993-95) as the defensive backs coach at Rhode Island.

Shafer played quarterback at Ohio University in 1985, then completed his collegiate career at Baldwin-Wallace from 1986-90. In 1987, he was ranked 17th in the nation in passing efficiency and earned team MVP honors. He earned a Bachelors degree in education from Baldwin-Wallace in 1990 and a Masters degree in education from Indiana in 1993.

A native of Painesville, Ohio, Shafer and his wife, Missy, have a son, Wolfgang, and a daughter, Elsa

Per Scout, here are the defensive coaches by position.

Shafer - DC
    Tall - DL
    Hopson - LB
    Gibson - DB

Like many others are saying, this is alot of guys who have spent their careers coaching defensive backs.
    That MUST be an area of concern for RR. Does He have in mind some sort of new "Galactic Defense" that will feature defensive backs who cover receivers, tackle, contain running QB's, make interceptions, recover fumbles, AND create peace in the Middle East?

I've taken the time and effort to rate this thread a Five Star.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zip Goshboots
    They just signed Kleefbelt "The Yule Log" Bogenshlotz, a 5'7, 338 lbs lineman fromYipshhood-On-Feather, Glastonbury, Scotland. He's a 1/2 star who can double as a long snapper. Bogenshlotz was a serious target of Mark Dantonio and the Sparties, and Dantonio reportedly told the ETSTI coach that "Pride cometh before the fall".

Quote Originally Posted by Zip Goshboots
    They just signed Kleefbelt "The Yule Log" Bogenshlotz, a 5'7, 338 lbs lineman fromYipshhood-On-Feather, Glastonbury, Scotland. He's a 1/2 star who can double as a long snapper. Bogenshlotz was a serious target of Mark Dantonio and the Sparties, and Dantonio reportedly told the ETSTI coach that "Pride cometh before the fall".**
    They got him? Damn
    Players meeting my ASS!

Lamarr Woodley was on some radio show in Detroit and said he has spoken with T Taylor, advising him to STAY IN SCHOOL, and thinks Taylor will come back to UM next season. WHEW!

So who is our best player next year Zip? AA, MM, RM leaving... who our best guy?
    Players meeting my ASS!

WOW.
    Donovan Warren?

+ Reply to Thread