+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 164
FirstFirst ... 36 76 84 85 86 87 88 96 136 ... LastLast

Thread: Jethro's UM Football Thread

Hopefully he lays Pryor out on more than one occasion.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zip Goshboots
    A screen to whom? On screens, numbnutz, the guards PULL and go with the guy getting the screen pass, as it usually goes off to the side.
    And even if I grant that you are correct, how well was it set up? How many of the 91 total yards did that play get?
    Perhaps this is just bad blocking, but my HS ran a play with the same blocking scheme(evade to backer) as a screen to the RB, also a version where the slot WR comes in on motion and gets it.

Mark Dantonio - MSU Head Coach

http://www.freerice.com

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    From the play by play
    Looks right. Maybe it's not a screen. The left side is still clearing shedding the defender up to the backer - so not bad blocking. The right side seems to have the guard trying to seal inside, and the RT washing the man down. The head should be on the other side, preventing penetration, but that is the only major problem if I'm reading the right run play.

Mark Dantonio - MSU Head Coach

http://www.freerice.com

Blog Entries
    Speaking of Boren, I stole this from another board:

By the way, I know nobody gives a shit and doesn't really care, but just on the off chance...here's some extra info for anyone who is curious.

Boren leaving did come as a surprise, considering he was born with a Michigan binky in his mouth and was raised as a U of M fan his whole life. He made some comments about the Michigan team use to be a family, and it is now eroding.

What is being speculated is that he purely had a problem with how the RRod coaching staff was doing things. Rich Rod is on EVERYONE in practice if they're not giving 100 percent. Accounts have come out where a WR had alligator arms in the middle of the field...RRod was on him for 5 minutes yelling in his ear. A RB ran out of bounds instead of taking on a tackler in practice, same thing happened. An O-Lineman got down on one knee and leaned on his helmet because he was tired...again, same result.

Boren was a full out Christian...RRod and his staff like to go to extremes, and sometimes some of the, ahem, language, takes some getting use to if you grow up in a home like Boren did.

Oh yeah, here's somethin' about BARWIS:

The Barwis Effect is in full motion. A first person account from a VERY recently graduated Michigan football player has cemented it. He and a couple other Michigan alums, including Braylon Edwards, have come back to Ann Arbor to train with Mike Barwis. There is rumblings of upwards of 10 former Michigan alums buying condos in the Ann Arbor area just to live in during the off-season to train with Barwis. EVERY player performing at Michigan's pro day has improved all their physical numbers in the last 3 weeks and are planning on coming back to Michigan every off-season to train because the results are that evident. The initial reaction is that these PLAYERS who are now playing in the NFL, are expecting Michigan to soon be on par with Miami in terms of building NFL talent players by way of training with Mike Barwis.

Again, just info that I have come across in the last couple days.

I tried to contribute. I will take my lumps like a man since some of what was said in that post about Boren was already posted in this thread.
    Last edited by Timone; 03-29-2008 at 03:50 AM.

Douche: Welcome to the Big House. I'm getting word from Tahoe that he's pleased to have your input. All He asks is that you try. Those were some good finds.

Hermy:
    Are you calling me stupid? I know what the word "nihilist" means, so I'm not stupid.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Blog Entries
    Accounts have come out where a WR had alligator arms in the middle of the field...RRod was on him for 5 minutes yelling in his ear.
    Manningham could've used this at times.
    Last edited by Timone; 03-29-2008 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsportscity
    Looks right. Maybe it's not a screen. The left side is still clearing shedding the defender up to the backer - so not bad blocking. The right side seems to have the guard trying to seal inside, and the RT washing the man down. The head should be on the other side, preventing penetration, but that is the only major problem if I'm reading the right run play.
    It looks like very poor blocking to me and the result of the plays says so.

We went through stretches in that game where we were flat out owned.
    Players meeting my ASS!

UM snagged another recruit today: Teric Jones, who has been chomping at the bit for a UM offere, received one at today's practice, and accepted on the spot. He's a running back/DB out of Cass Tech, a teammate of Will Campbell. I think he'll top out at a four star. He had a tough junior year, being injured, but was named the #3 Top Performer at the Army Combine. He clocks in at just under 4.4 for the forty.
    http://michigan.scout.com/a.z?s=162&p=8&c=1&nid=3194587
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Finally some hope that we might be able to compete with State.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Yes, Wolverines: you'll be working really hard
    E-MAIL PRINT COMMENTS 91 WATCH THIS TOPIC
    Posted: March 29, 2008

This is uncomfortable for me because it's something I prefer to steer clear of.

I don't like to take college players to task for one basic reason: They're not paid. For me, it doesn't get beyond "played poorly" or "struggled" or "blew an assignment" because frankly, it's not appropriate.

Besides, coaches are an easy target. They get paid to run the team and get paid to take the criticism.

Only now, I must take exception with Michigan offensive lineman Justin Boren. Earlier this week, Boren said he was leaving Michigan because "family values" he had grown accustomed to had "eroded in just a few months" under new coach Rich Rodriguez.

Before we go further, let's get a few undeniable things out of the way:

• Some players don't like new coaches; some bitch and moan about them.

• Some players persevere, others walk away.

• And some -- the few -- take their ball and whine all the way home.

Here, ladies and gentlemen, is where we find Boren. Coaching changes aren't easy on anyone -- not the coach leaving, the coach hired and most certainly not the players recruited by the previous coach. It is, as much as anything, the first real life experience for college kids.

In the real world, we call this turnover. We have a job, we love our job and now all of a sudden we have a new boss. And the new boss is different.

Not all bosses motivate the same. Some motivate with positive reinforcement, others with fear and still others with goal-oriented benchmarks. Some use a combination of all three.

Now here's what's important: Nearly every new boss is not like the old boss. Boren's comfort zone that felt so easy and so right is now gone. Of course, that comfort zone included losses to rival Ohio State in six of the last seven years.

Rodriguez was hired to win football games; it's just that simple. He was hired to beat Ohio State -- not placate 18-, 19- and 20-year-old kids who don't like change.

Every new coach goes through this; just like every new boss goes through it. It's a process: Weeding out those who don't fit. Some don't like to work hard, some are malcontents.

The big buzz in the first few spring practices at Michigan was offensive linemen adjusting to the no-huddle approach in Rodriguez's scheme. Translation: You're running your ass off.

Those who fall behind will be pushed harder and longer, mentally and physically. That's coaching, people.

Any dime store psychologist will say you can't motivate through fear. Well, a guy named John Wooden -- who won a few championships in his career -- says a coach's best friend is the bench. In other words, play hard or sit.

"I'm not going out there and running people off," Rodriguez told the Detroit News. "I've been running these kinds of practices for 20 years."

Those are the same practices he ran at West Virginia, where his first team in 2001 won three games while working through the transition. Those players were used to Don Nehlen, a Lloyd Carr clone if there ever was one. Both Nehlen and Carr are good men and good coaches, but they lost their ability to motivate players to maximize their abilities.

Listen people, Rodriguez won 32 games over the last three years. You don't do that by coddling your players.

And anyone who watched the Fiesta Bowl three months ago knows that West Virginia team -- when healthy -- would beat any in college football. If you're Michigan, that's what you hold onto.

Not the words of a departing player who took his ball and whined all the way home.

+ Reply to Thread