Scout talked to Marcus Witherspoon, a UM committ from New Jersey. Many UMers are nervous about his status, as he is going to have a look at Tennessee:

There have been conflicting reports about the commitment status of Holy Spirit High (Absecon, NJ) LB Marcus Witherspoon in recent weeks. Some have characterized him as solidly committed while others have described as uncommitted and open to other suitors. In reality, the truth is somewhere in between.

“I’m still committed (to Michigan),” Witherspoon said. “It’s a matter of this change that’s going on. I’m just going to go on a visit (to Tennessee) and see what else is going on besides this. I’m not really concerned about nothing (at Michigan). I just decided that since everybody is going through this change, I figured why not? Just like I don’t know the Tennessee coaches, I don’t know the Michigan coaches now. Had everything stayed like it was, I wouldn’t have made this decision, but since everything has changed I figured I would give this other team a chance. Why not?”

Though he still considers himself a Wolverine pledge, the opening that the 6-2, 215-pounder has given the Volunteers does bring his Michigan status into question. Based on Witherspoon’s recent conversations with Rich Rodriguez it’s obvious the new Maize & Blue headman feels the same way.

“He basically said he saw how I played and he didn’t want to lose me,” Witherspoon recalled. He wants me to stay at Michigan. There are no problems. Everything is cool. I’m going to talk with them a little bit more and get to know them better. He’s going to come up and visit.”

One topic Rodriguez won’t have to spend much time explaining is how the versatile youngster will fit into the attack-style defense that will be employed in Ann Arbor.

“I’d probably fit right in because I can blitz a lot,” admitted Witherspoon. “From a linebacker’s point of view, the defense is perfect. It fits my style. It would be perfect for me. It really would.”

Despite that realization, Witherspoon is still uncertain about what his next move should be. At this point he isn’t just waiting for the right feeling to hit him about one of two programs.

“I don’t know what (the decision) will come down to,” he said. “I couldn’t even tell you. It’s a lot to think about. A LOT to think about because I don’t see either situation as a bad situation for me. Both situations are good situations. It will probably come down to me praying about it and making sure I make the right decision. It wouldn’t have anything to do with the coaches or the system or anything because I know at both, those things are good.”

The person Witherspoon will lean on most as decision time nears will be his father.

“He still loves Michigan, but he is respecting me and my decision,” Witherspoon said. “Whatever I choose to do, he’s behind me.”