+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can you jumpshoot your way to an NBA Championship?

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I think Joe tried to address this issue through the draft with Maxiell, and that looks like a major success, but it's just not enough.

When jumpers stop falling, this team is dead in the water, especially since they can't stop dribble penetration.
    ^^This. If more than one starter is having problems connecting from the field (and right now it seems like it's at least 3 out of 5), this team comes apart like a sweater from Old Navy.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Swami
    ^^This. If more than one starter is having problems connecting from the field (and right now it seems like it's at least 3 out of 5), this team comes apart like a sweater from Old Navy.
    That's been the case for this squad since the Rick Carlisle days (due to none of the starters really being good enough to guarantee you an efficient 20+ every night). It's also why scoring from the bench is especially important for their success. When Maxiell and Hayes fail to hit shots it puts more pressure on the starters to score. When neither the starters or bench are hitting shots games like last night occur. No one person is good enough to carry this team.

It would be interesting to see what the Pistons record is when both Maxiell and Hayes score in double digits. I'm guessing very good.

The success of this team over the next few months is all on the shoulders of Rodney Stuckey. If he's legit and can become a consistent scoring threat that will help this team immeasurably. He's much better than I thought.

I'd also like to see Hermann play a little more of the 3 position instead of the 4 like he did last night. Flip needs to use his 6'9" frame and offensive perimeter skills to create mismatches.

I agree on using Herrmann more at the 3, but using him at the 4 on Dirk last night was actually a pretty smart move. Why he didn't stick with it, I'm really not sure, but I wouldn't have even thought of that in the first place.
    _

Quote Originally Posted by Zekyl
    I agree on using Herrmann more at the 3, but using him at the 4 on Dirk last night was actually a pretty smart move. Why he didn't stick with it, I'm really not sure, but I wouldn't have even thought of that in the first place.
    he was a liability on the offensive end for one thing. he wasn't a big part of the near comeback. and speaking of the mavericks, they did manage to get about a half away from winning a championship with no inside presence before they totally melted down, so yes it is possible.

Hermmann isn't a good rebounder is he? It seems like with him at the 4 you'd be like when Corliss was there (in terms of rebounding). Without Ben that makes it even more apparent.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luniz
    he was a liability on the offensive end for one thing. he wasn't a big part of the near comeback. and speaking of the mavericks, they did manage to get about a half away from winning a championship with no inside presence before they totally melted down, so yes it is possible.

We're in the East. It's more than possible.

I think the real question is, how much better would we be if we actually had an inside offensive presence???

Somebody brought it up a few days ago, I think P.J. Brown would be perfect as a "quick-fix" for our interior problems...

I dont remember in detail, but while we weren't some dynamo post team when we won the title, I seem to remember an inside-out offensive system. I mean it wasn't all jumpshooting. The ball would go inside, mostly because LB was crazy about shifting the ball all across the court trying to break down defenses.

...the hell?

did someone watch a different 2004 team than I did? Are we crediting Corliss Williamson, who was invisible in the playoffs, as an inside game?

Nevermind that this wasn't a question to begin with. The Knicks of the 70's were jumpshot addicts and they won 2 titles.

its not a question of "can A team" jumpshoot to a championship, its a question of "can this team" do it. i sincerely doubt it. to do so, flip would have to manage our depth just right. we'd relly have to get our d going. we'd also need to be fresh deep into the playoffs.

i just really hope this team doesnt lose to boston. any team but boston. i would rather drop out to some shit kicking 8th seed than lose to boston... unless that 8th seed was miami.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    ...the hell?

did someone watch a different 2004 team than I did? Are we crediting Corliss Williamson, who was invisible in the playoffs, as an inside game?

Nevermind that this wasn't a question to begin with. The Knicks of the 70's were jumpshot addicts and they won 2 titles.

I agree, Scoreless Williamson was a tool in '04, and Okur wasn't much of anything at that time either, and even now Memo is more of a jump shooter than post presence. The only value we had on that bench was Hunter & James for defensive purposes, and Elden Campbell so he could hack the big guy...

Darko was a piece of shit then, and he's still a piece of shit now.

+ Reply to Thread