+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: HD DVD vs Blu Ray... the tipping point?

HD DVD vs Blu Ray... the tipping point?

Close on the heels of Warner announcing it was going to stop supporting HD in favor of Blu Ray, it looks like Paramount is about to do the same thing.

Good news for PS3 owners and anyone who decided to wait and see which way the fight was going to tilt. As far as I could tell, Blu Ray was the better of the two formats anyway. It was also the more expensive to produce but I doubt that'll be an issue for very long.

Basically all this effects is which DVD player to buy, right? I mean for a person that has only a standard DVD player, this means nothing (except what system to upgrade to eventually).

Am I way off base? I really haven't paid much attention to this battle at all.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

^^nah, that's pretty much spot on. This is what HDTV owners will want to upgrade to from DVD.

Blog Entries
    Is this considered "Tech Talk"?
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by e-ray
    ^^nah, that's pretty much spot on. This is what HDTV owners will want to upgrade to from DVD.
    But this doesn't effect me looking to buy a new TV does it? I've got my eye on two 46 inch LCD models. I'd love to get the Sony KDL-46XBR4 (top rated LCD tv), but it's about 2800 bucks. The Samsung LN-T4665F (4th highest rated LCD) is probably going to be my purchase because it's 1500-1800 bucks.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    But this doesn't effect me looking to buy a new TV does it? I've got my eye on two 46 inch LCD models. I'd love to get the Sony KDL-46XBR4 (top rated LCD tv), but it's about 2800 bucks. The Samsung LN-T4665F (4th highest rated LCD) is probably going to be my purchase because it's 1500-1800 bucks.
    Correct. You won't care about HD DVD vs Blu Ray until you go to buy a next gen dvd player to hook up to your new TV.

^^What gee said. It won't affect your TV purchase in any way.

That being said, it looks like Blu Ray may indeed win soon. With Warner's move and rumors of Paramount switching as well, HD-DVD may very well be dead.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    That Samsung is fucking awesome. We got them at work earlier this year. I wanted to go with one of the cheaper brands but my boss insisted on the Samsung and they seriously blow you away. Awesome picture. I find mysellf just stopping and staring at them if I'm walking by and there's good HD on.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny
    That Samsung is fucking awesome. We got them at work earlier this year. I wanted to go with one of the cheaper brands but my boss insisted on the Samsung and they seriously blow you away. Awesome picture. I find mysellf just stopping and staring at them if I'm walking by and there's good HD on.
    They said the only drawback is some motion blur. I wonder if that is just on standard cable and not HD. It can't be a huge thing for it to be rated as one of the best LCD's on the market. There are two Samsungs rated higher, but they are in the Sony price range (2800-3500) and I don't want to spend that much.

The sweet thing is we have a credit card we only use for gas and grocieries (which earns 5 points per dollar for those two purchases, and 1 point for others). Last year we bought a $350 digital camera with free best buy cards from that. Now we have $500 in best buy cards this year (got a boost from charging our moving expenses that were paid for by my wife's work). So, we get the 500 bucks, find the cheapest price for Best Buy to match (right now I can find it for 1600), use my reward zone coupon (%10 off) and get the reward zone points too.

So for about 1000 bucks I can get a top 5 LCD tv and another 30-50 bucks in reward certificates to buy shit later. Sounds good to me.

Someone said there are big discounts after the superbowl, so I might wait to see if the price drops after that.

Yeah, I would wait until the super bowl.

I think I would spend the extra $700 on a tv. The last thing you want is to regret your purchase a year down the line.

+ Reply to Thread