+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tigers sign Dontrelle through 2011

Tigers sign Dontrelle through 2011

3 year, $29 million contract extension per WDFN.

Blog Entries
    Might as well, we traded for him.

Less than $10m a year on average isn't terrible as long as his arm is sound.
    Find a new slant.

ESPN says its true.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Crasnick
    Pitcher Dontrelle Willis has reached an agreement in principle on a three-year, $29 million contract extension with the Detroit Tigers, a source told ESPN.com.

The deal includes incentives that could push the total value to more than $30 million, the source said. An announcement was expected after Willis took a physical exam Thursday in Detroit.

The Tigers acquired Willis and star third baseman Miguel Cabrera from the Florida Marlins in an eight-player trade at the winter meetings two weeks ago in Nashville. Willis will join a Detroit rotation that also includes Justin Verlander, Jeremy Bonderman, Nate Robertson and Kenny Rogers.

Willis, 25, has a 68-54 record an a 3.78 ERA in parts of five seasons with the Marlins. He went 10-15 with a 5.17 ERA last season.

Willis earned a base salary of $6.45 million for the Marlins last year. He would have been eligible for free agency after the 2009 season, but is now locked up through 2010.
    I'd have to think that's about what he would have earned on the open market even if he had the same stats this season as last season. And if he can get back his old self from a few years ago for us this could turn into a steal. Now we just need to work on the same thing for the other half of that trade.
    _

Blog Entries
    An announcement was expected after Willis took a physical exam Thursday in Detroit.
    Little late for that, eh?
    Find a new slant.

Considering the fact that Carlos Silva got 4 years, $44 million, I think this is a good deal. So we're paying less for a 25 year old with 68 wins than Seattle is for a 28 year old with 55 wins. I like it. Seems like our days of having to overpay are certainly over. How quickly things can change.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Cabrera's deal could be ARodish

Dusty Baker just stopped by with a Christmas gift and after the usual greetings, the first thing he said was..."Those Tigers are gonna be tough"
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    Seems like WDFN has become the new source of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by mercury
    Cabrera's deal could be ARodish
    God, I hope not.
    _

Excited Willis signed through 2010

by Danny Knobler Thursday December 20, 2007, 11:22 PM

DETROIT -- Dontrelle Willis looked out at the Comerica Park field, covered in a thick layer of snow.
    "That's wonderful,'' Willis said. "It's Detroit.''
    If you need to know how excited the Detroit Tigers' newest left-hander was Thursday, when he signed a three-year, $29 million contract that will bind him to the team through 2010, you have it right there. And if you still need a reminder of how things have changed for the Tigers, you have it there, too.

Winter cold is no longer a problem. Now it's wonderful, even for a 25-year-old who said he'd never before seen a real coating of snow.
    The Tigers got Willis signed to a long-term contract, buying out a year of free agency, two weeks after acquiring him in their huge winter meetings trade with Florida. They'd still like to get a deal done this winter with Miguel Cabrera, the bigger fish they got in the trade with the Marlins, and, while it may not happen fast, no one should be shocked if they get that one done, too.
    "I hope so,'' Willis said. "It'll be for a lot more than what I got, that's for sure. He's a sure-fire Hall of Famer, a genius in the game.''
    But is Cabrera as excited to be a Tiger as Willis so obviously is?
    "He was the one who called told me and told me we got traded together,'' Willis said. "And right when we were traded, he said this is a great opportunity for us.''
    In the two weeks since the trade, the Tigers have sold nearly 3,000 new full-season tickets, so it's obvious what their fans think of the move. What was just as obvious Thursday was how excited Willis was about it.
    He's coming off the worst of his five big-league seasons, so he easily could have waited to see if he'd be in a better negotiating position next winter. But agent Matt Sosnick said that the moment the Tigers proposed doing a multi-year contract, Willis was determined to get the deal done.
    Even before the talks began, Willis showed a commitment to his new home. He's long been a supporter of the Children's Home Society, a charity that helps children in need. He flew to Detroit on Wednesday night to distribute 450 Christmas gifts, not knowing at the time that he'd follow that appearance with one to announce the new contract.
    In fact, the only disappointment Willis had all day was that he didn't bring a coat and tie to wear to the news conference.
    "Sorry, Mama,'' he said from the podium.
    Later, Willis said Thursday ranked right up with winning the 2003 World Series with Florida and winning National League rookie of the year honors that same year.
    "As cheesy as it sounds, that's the truth,'' he said.
    The Tigers were equally thrilled, and while they admitted the new deal carried some risk -- what if Willis's 5.17 ERA in 2007 is a sign of things to come? -- they showed no hesitation in making the commitment.
    "We think last year was an aberration,'' general manager Dave Dombrowski said. "If Dontrelle pitches the way he did last year there's a little risk, but with what starting pitchers are earning today, it's a risk worth taking.''
    Besides, a team that for so long had to beg players to come to Detroit now has to feel great about a pitcher so thrilled to stay here.
    "Hopefully the city embraces me,'' Willis said. Then, thinking about the Tigers cap that still sat atop his head, he added: "I'm very happy to rock the D. I think it looks good on me.''
    Willis will wear No. 21, which he likes because it was Deion Sanders' number. He wore 35 in Florida, but Justin Verlander already has claim to 35 with the Tigers.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

+ Reply to Thread